Who eats rabbits and who eats squirrels ?

Both are great eating.. Never had Jackrabbit however.. Don't hunt squirrel anymore just can't see driving 60 70 miles to hunt them.

There is a reason most of us put our "States" in the profile. After reading a lot of these posts I don't even have to look at the profiles to see what State you guys are in, It's like I'm Phycic :D :D

If you get them when it's cooler weather you should be ok, they can have worms if it is during the late spring and summer. I've always ate them fried and covered in gravy.

Just cut up the squirrel in quarters, use the back too, cook it in the pressure cooker or boil until tender, drain then roll in your favorite breading and skillet fry until browned. Works for rabbit too. Hard to beat under any conditions and might drive you completely off chicken. If grilling, coat in olive oil and rub on some herbs of Provence and grill slowly on lower heat after a good sear over high heat to seal in the moisture.
And yes, they do look like a rat after skinning, but you don't have to go that far; just singe the hair off his tail and the comparison is complete. Bon Appetit!

Sutton, your uncle was a wise man; the head being the choicest part. The jaw muscles and tongue were my favorites, then turn the skull crossways and bite the skull cap down low. It pops off easily and then just suck the brains out much like sucking heads of crayfish, or mud bugs to you gulfies.

Squirrel season opened today in Indiana, so once I get settled after moving back next week I'll be doing my darndest to find a few.

tarheel, try canning squirrels. next time you cook on the grill, put a jar of them on aluminum foil with some jack daniels barbeque sauce. it doesn't get any better.

I always cut the meat off the Bones and soaked it in Milk, that way the girls got past the idea they weren't eating something shot out of a tree or infront of a dog. This really worked well with Cottontails and Swampers, we ran a pack of up to 23 Beagles on some River property that my uncle had windrowed the Bodark into Huge piles and then he disked it up and planted Winter Wheat. It was one of the most prolific places I have ever hunted. Our best day was 47 rabbits and a coyote. John

I don't know about rabbits and squirrels. I prefer Possum, just have to make sure you get all the hair off of it first......

I always cut the meat off the Bones and soaked it in Milk, that way the girls got past the idea they weren't eating something shot out of a tree or infront of a dog. This really worked well with Cottontails and Swampers, we ran a pack of up to 23 Beagles on some River property that my uncle had windrowed the Bodark into Huge piles and then he disked it up and planted Winter Wheat. It was one of the most prolific places I have ever hunted. Our best day was 47 rabbits and a coyote. John

With a pack that size the music would make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. By "swampers" I assume you're talking about blue tails. We ran a pack of 18 one day and got 19 blue tails and one puny cottontail out of a 7 acre patch of soggy brome sedge.

For Jacks and Snowshoes, try and punch your finger through their ear. If it goes through it's young and a fryer, if not, soak in milk for a couple hours and into the stew pot. Soaking in salt pulls moisture from the meat and will toughen it. To skin a squirrel since the link was broken above, make a small cut crossways about mid back. Insert your two index fingers on either side and pull one to the front while the other pulls back. Nip the paws and tail off once you reach them and it's all of a 15 sec job. I do rabbits much the same but thier softer skin makes it a bit more difficult as it often tears irregularly. The small Pine or Red squirrels are survival food and not meaty enough to fool with otherwise. With these as other rabbits and squirrels take only head shots to eliminate piney or sage tasting meat, depending on what they are eating as the odd flavors are in the digestive tract, not the meat per se.

Last edited:
I prefer Possum, just have to make sure you get all the hair off of it first......

I'm sure the word you wanted to use was a different word. Probably had the "U"... the 2 "SS" and a "P" in the word and I'm sure you like the hair removed.... but a POSSUM ?!?!

You guys do realize I started this thread 8 years ago as a JOKE, right ? :W::W:

Some peoples trash is another's treasure! Same goes for jokes. let me explain a bit further on soaking in brine, or milk. A squirrel shot with a 22 hollowpoint in the head is well bled out by the time it quits kicking. Soaking in a brine solution is an old rememdy for drawing out blood and for firming up meat that's too tender such as some fish. Milk and Buttermilk have enzymes that take care of many strong flavors. I'm betting that all things considered there is more small game eaten in this great land than there is big game and I'm talking pound for pound!:)

I shoot and eat lots of squirrels.
I grew up shooting a .22 for the bushytails and a few years ago I purchased a Marlin .17 Mach 2 for all my squirrel hunting and it has more than proven itself. To date: longest shot 136 yards.
I also carry a S&W 22A for the close shots. 20 yards and under.

Don't forget to remove the glands under the forearms and behind the knee. It makes a big differance in the taste.

Brown em in a fryin pan ,putem in the crock pot till the meat comes of the bone ,add corrots ,celery,onion ,garlic anp diced potatoes and whalla nothin betteron a cold day in december

My family loves rabbits and beagles. Many way to cook them and right now my favorite is to stuff them like a chicken/turkey and roast. I have eaten squirls but not bother any more due to size. I'm getting hungry. Need to take the dogs for a walk. HHHHOOOOOLLLLLLWWWWW!!!!!!!

Back