Whitetail Elevation Question

I’ve seen them at 8k in Montana in September. I wasn’t looking for them but was surprised to see the very obvious white flag at two does took off when we spooked them.

Whitetails do whatever it takes to survive in a specific area. I live on the edge between an area where deer don't really migrate (the Champlain Valley) and more marginal habitat (the interior of the Adirondacks) where they do migrate to yarding areas. But, even in those areas where deer yard up, there seem to be a subset of bucks that won't migrate and spend the winter alone. I've been in areas of northern Maine where the need to migrate to yards is so great that they have these traditional migration trails that can get pretty beat down (and people will hunt them during the late season). I've never seen that around here.
So, I have no doubt that they do migrate in parts of the west, at least.

The number 2 whitetail (Typical) in the Idaho book (#1 at the time) was shot by my neighbor. He was hunting mule deer at the time (up high). He told me directly that he saw a big-ass buck and shot him. He was shocked when he walked up on it and realized it had a flag on his ass!
We also used to hunt whitetail down by the lake in late November, because the snow would push them down to a particular spot when it got deep. In fact, when you hunted that spot earlier in the season you wouldn't see a deer, after Thanksgiving, we referred to it as "The Meat Market"
They migrate. You can't rely on midwestern habits of whitetail when you're hunting them in Idaho.

Last edited:
The number 2 whitetail (Typical) in the book (#1 at the time) was shot by my neighbor. He was hunting mule deer at the time (up high). He told me directly that he saw a big-ass buck and shot him. He was shocked when he walked up on it and realized it had a flag on his ass!
We also used to hunt whitetail down by the lake in late November, because the snow would push them down to a particular spot when it got deep. In fact, when you hunted that spot earlier in the season you wouldn't see a deer, after Thanksgiving, we referred to it as "The Meat Market"
They migrate. You can't rely on midwestern habits of whitetail when you're hunting them in Idaho.
You were neighbors with james jordon in 1914? He was hunting muledeer up high in Wisconsin? His story is different than yours...sorry bro i couldnt pass after reading stupid ammo comments all day. Lol

NUMBER TWO — Hunter: James Jordan

Score: 206-1/8 points
Year: 1914​

They say if you shoot a world’s record whitetail and drop it off at the taxidermist who moves to Florida and never returns your deer, but then the deer finds its way back to you after nearly 60 years…well, the deer was meant to be with you.

Maybe the original saying is a little different, but check this out. Jim Jordan shot this beautiful buck in early November of 1914. He turned the head over to his taxidermist and thought he would see it on his wall in less than half a century. Jordan checked in on his buck, only to find the taxidermist moved to Minnesota, then to Florida. Jordan thought his buck was gone for good.

Jordan’s family eventually moved to Hinkley, Minnesota, where his taxidermist had moved prior to moving to Florida. Enter Robert Ludwig forty-four years after Jordan shot that buck. At a garage sale in Sandstone, Minnesota, he paid $3 for a giant deer rack. In 1971, he had it scored by Boone and Crockett Club measurers who dubbed it a world’s record at the time. James Jordan happened to be Bob’s uncle, and he recognized the buck immediately when Bob showed it to him. Sadly, James Jordan passed away only two months before the Boone and Crockett Club officially attached Jordan’s name to the buck.

You were neighbors with james jordon in 1914? He was hunting muledeer up high in Wisconsin? His story is different than yours...sorry bro i couldnt pass after reading stupid ammo comments all day. Lol

NUMBER TWO — Hunter: James Jordan

Score: 206-1/8 points​

Year: 1914​

They say if you shoot a world’s record whitetail and drop it off at the taxidermist who moves to Florida and never returns your deer, but then the deer finds its way back to you after nearly 60 years…well, the deer was meant to be with you.

Maybe the original saying is a little different, but check this out. Jim Jordan shot this beautiful buck in early November of 1914. He turned the head over to his taxidermist and thought he would see it on his wall in less than half a century. Jordan checked in on his buck, only to find the taxidermist moved to Minnesota, then to Florida. Jordan thought his buck was gone for good.

Jordan’s family eventually moved to Hinkley, Minnesota, where his taxidermist had moved prior to moving to Florida. Enter Robert Ludwig forty-four years after Jordan shot that buck. At a garage sale in Sandstone, Minnesota, he paid $3 for a giant deer rack. In 1971, he had it scored by Boone and Crockett Club measurers who dubbed it a world’s record at the time. James Jordan happened to be Bob’s uncle, and he recognized the buck immediately when Bob showed it to him. Sadly, James Jordan passed away only two months before the Boone and Crockett Club officially attached Jordan’s name to the buck.
Sorry- I assume everybody is from Idaho. Idaho #2 Typical. That's on me, I'm gonna go correct my post.

Sorry- I assume everybody is from Idaho. Idaho #2 Typical. That's on me, I'm gonna go correct my post.
We posted at the same time LOL, went back and deleted mine. I'll be in Idaho this year, can't wait.
I'm bug-eyed from e-scouting, once the snow melts, I'll be heading over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back