Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Whitetail around Chalis ID

smorgado

Going elk hunting in unit 36b in Idaho. Whitetail season is during the same time. Was thinking about getting a deer tag as well . Is it worth it to get one . I know there's a lot of mulies round there but didn't know bout whitetail

Eh you never know what you'll bump into, I like to have as many tags in my pocket as I can hell its worth a shot!

They are there around the agriculture and along the river corridor. Can't say I've seen any up in the higher country.

I was elk hunting in Wyoming one year and a mountain lion stepped out in front of me while I was overlooking wooded hillside (about 40 yards), I always regretted not buying a tag......

another advantage as a non-resident holding a deer tag is that you can tag a lion or a bear, assuming there is an open season for them in that area.

I believe the tag is for either subspecies of deer. I wouldn't buy the tag strictly for WT unless you have a spot already to hunt. WT and elk will not be in the same areas.

My wife and I were camped at ~8000 feet on the Magruder Road a couple summers ago when we had a 130" whitetail in velvet walk by. It was not the only whitetail we saw up there either. I have not been to the area you are talking about, but whitetail show up in areas that I don't think a lot of people would ever imagine them being in.

Here's the country we saw the buck in-

photo%205_zpsa1ulhk1p.jpg

I spend a week scouting 36b for elk and never saw a whitetail. I'm sure they're there, but my guess is they're lower around the ag.

Buy a regular deer tag and cover both species. Been in there a bunch and never saw a whitetail buck where most the elk are but you never know! Good luck.

Thank you everybody gonna get a tag. I'll be there for two weeks so if I get a bull. I can drop down lower and look for some bucks .

Yes, 18 has a pile of whitetail with the Camas pairrie just north of it at the same altitude. Totally different animals there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back