White tale guys

Preacher shaner

I have two nice two year olds on my place. Now i only have 10 arcs. One is a solid 125 8pt. The other is at lest close to 120s maybe 125 at best. There are hunters all around me. Now if they get one more year they would be good and two years great bucks. But do i chance letting the guys grand kids killing them the frist day of gun season. Dont know what to do

I leave them alone, even though the chance of it surviving is small with other hunters not letting them go. Weather, disease and predators also play a part in survival, but you never know it could survive? The chance you take by letting it walk. You will never harvest a larger deer unless you let them walk when they are smaller.

that's a question only you can answer. would you be happy taking the deer this year? if so go right ahead. If not take the gamble and give them a year or two.

My guess is either the deer you have are older than you think or smaller than you think. A 125" whitetail at 2 1/2 would be unlikely. Most are sub 100 at that age. Id let them walk and hope one of the two survives until next year. Either way, age or size, they will be better next year. Have you talked to other landowners about management?

My guess is either the deer you have are older than you think or smaller than you think. A 125" whitetail at 2 1/2 would be unlikely. Most are sub 100 at that age. Id let them walk and hope one of the two survives until next year. Either way, age or size, they will be better next year. Have you talked to other landowners about management?
What he said. The only thing I'll add is I wouldn't worry to much about what the neighbors will do hell he could get hit by a car the day before season not gonna stop driving right. If you're happy with the deer kill him if not don't but don't shoot something you'll regret just cause the next guy might get him.

let them walk. I regularly pass up bucks knowing there is a good possibility they will get shot by somebody else. Only chance for them to get as big as you hope is by at least you letting them go

For me it would depend on my history with the property. If you’ve hunted it for 5-10 years and have never had a 3.5 year old in your sights, or have never gotten a photo of a 3.5, I’d let one of them have it - especially if you want to take one home.

I have two nice two year olds on my place. Now i only have 10 arcs. One is a solid 125 8pt. The other is at lest close to 120s maybe 125 at best. There are hunters all around me. Now if they get one more year they would be good and two years great bucks. But do i chance letting the guys grand kids killing them the frist day of gun season. Dont know what to do
Do you have any pictures?

Simple. If either of the two make you happy, shoot. If not, let them go. Just because someone else may shoot one and be happy with it shouldn't be the deciding factor for whether or not you shoot.

I would pass on them until they were more mature, but I pass on 100 times more deer than I actually shoot. All my friends think I'm crazy because the majority of the deer that I pass go on and get shot by the neighbors. I look at it as that if I were to shoot them, they definitely won't get to be big and mature. If you let them walk, there is a small chance.

Kind of like applying for a tag when you have a very small chance of drawing.

Back