Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

White Sands Oryx

DaleT

Two of us drew the Rhodes Canyon hunt for Jan 31, 2009. I have talked to a few people that hunted it last year and got some tips. I would like to get some field judging tips from some of you guys that have a lot of experience with it. I personally think any mature Oryx will make a fine trophy, but of course I do want the biggest one I can get :D

I have heard 2 1/2 times face length is a good measure of maturity. I assume the young ones have a smaller ratio?

When the animal is feeding, if the horns are level with it's back, your looking at roughly 31" of horns. So therefore I will be looking for an animal that has 5+ inches sticking over it's back.

There was also some ear to horn length ratio, but is sounded pretty shakey.

At this point, it sounds like if I get a shot at a 36 incher, I should probably go ahead and take it, or risk getting skunked, or shooting a little one late in the game.

Your thoughts please

Dale, check out the exotics thread, there are a few posted there. We saw a couple cows that were long, but lacked the mass, also, the head, chest and shoulders were'nt as massive on the cows, making for a less impressive mount.IMO. The bull I killed was 36'' X8''. Stay off the trigger, you'll get to see lots of em, you'll know a goodun when you see it. Good luck, its a fun hunt. Later

I can only repeat what I was told in Africa - they are among the hardest animals to judge because the horns stay in proportion to the body size. A small one's horns will look long in proportion to its body, in other words. As noted above, cows can have longer horns but they will be more slender.

You hardest part on the hunt won't be judging the Oryx, it will be judging whether or not some other hunter is going to blow your stalk by lobbing bullets from the highway. Fun hunt though, and the absolute best eating you will ever have.

Kim, I was on the Stallion Range, same thing, guys running them down, or, trying to run them down. Bout noon we drove up to the base of the mountain range that runs through the unit and broke the ST 80 and the 15's out. The pard found my bull all by himself feeding. Alot more rewarding than runnin and gunnin'. Kinda reminded me of antelope huntin over in Shawmut,Mt. grin....

2 1/2 times face length will get you to mid-30's.
The larger the per centage of horn without rings, the longer the horns.
Cows will grow longest horns but they will have smaller bases. (neither SCI nor Rowland Ward distinguish between sexes on Gemsbok)
After you see a few, better ones will stand out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back