Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Whisky = Idea

Hammsolo

So, I have a Kampfeld Custom built off of a Tikka T3. It is currently a 300wm. @JLS and I have been reloading for it, and I am unhappy with the magazine length. New bullet designs just don’t work well. If I use factory ammo it shoots nice tight groups, by I want to reload something snazzy. This is my fault not thinking ahead… The rifle is amazing.

So… I just got a piece of mail about the 7mmPRC from Hornady. What if I rebarreled it? Thoughts?6B7E7D23-F4B3-4CBD-A7BC-14452604D53A.jpeg

If I recall correctly, the 7PRC is supposed to be able to use a standard length action with longer high BC bullets and still get near-7mag performance without encroaching into powder space past the neck. I think that mag length will always be an issue regardless of cartridge with the Tikka, as they’re not known for being really generous in this area. Of course, you could have your smith throat it for a specific bullet and OAL based upon that mag length.

Or, you could just buy another rifle for about the same dollars and keep the 300 as-is. My recommendation will always be for you to buy another rifle, especially since it’s not my money that I’m suggesting you spend

With a supportive wife I say get a new rifle. I'd say get a quality action (Defiance, Zermatt Arms, etc.) and barrel and you can do most of the work yourself. One question, where's the whisky = idea? Usually whisky fueled ideas are comical, compromised, dangerous, etc.; a new rifle sounds like a solid idea.

So, opinions? What should I do specifically?

I want a packable shooter that I can use for shooting steel and hunting deer to moose.

I love Tikka’s. I like Christensen Arms. I like Bergara. I’m open to Browning. I don’t like Seekin’s, terrible stock.

Imaging building a custom rifle is awesome, but what would the cost be?

Whiskey & ideas usually end up with videos on TikTok or Youtube!

As far as getting handloads to fit your magazine length, i would have opted for a blind magazine on that Boyds stock.
Whole lot easier to inlet out a little more for increased COAL.

If you plan on shooting 180gr bullets from the 7PRC, then go for it!
Other weight bullets will leave you with a long freebore.

So, opinions? What should I do specifically?

I want a packable shooter that I can use for shooting steel and hunting deer to moose.

I love Tikka’s. I like Christensen Arms. I like Bergara. I’m open to Browning. I don’t like Seekin’s, terrible stock.

Imaging building a custom rifle is awesome, but what would the cost be?
More than my Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm Weatherby Magnum. $1,800.

If you look at custom action, usually start at $1,000.
Barrel $600 all said & done.
Unless you want a Carbon fibre barrel. Then start at $600 for the blank.
Trigger $100-200.
Recoil lug $30-40
Stock $150-800
Trigger guard another $20 if not included with the stock.

Oh, you want a threaded muzzle? $125
Muzzle brake $150.
Suppressor. $200 tax stamp + cost for suppressor.

I built a custom Mauser for my daughter in 7X57 Mauser.
Even using a purple Boyds AT-One stock (burning in h€££ for that!) it ran me about $1,800 complete. And i did all the smithing myself.

So, I have a Kampfeld Custom built off of a Tikka T3. It is currently a 300wm. @JLS and I have been reloading for it, and I am unhappy with the magazine length. New bullet designs just don’t work well. If I use factory ammo it shoots nice tight groups, by I want to reload something snazzy. This is my fault not thinking ahead… The rifle is amazing.

So… I just got a piece of mail about the 7mmPRC from Hornady. What if I rebarreled it? Thoughts?View attachment 253492
Now I get it. You want to take a custom rifle built on a Tikka action and re-barrel to a 7mm PRC. Not a clue about the 7mm PRC but to make you happy it sounds like the magazine well of the Tikka simply needs to be long enough to handle a loaded round the way you want to load it? I like to load my ammo so that the base of the bullet is at the base of the neck. Found out by accident that that won't always work depending on the rifle. Had a Sako L61R in 7mm Rem Mag years ago that I tried loading a 160gr bullet that way with and a dummy round would not chamber, bullet hit the lands. But the dummy round did fit in the magazine. Simply gave the rifle to a gunsmith with the dummy round and he let out the lands to fit the dummy round, turned that rifle into super acurate! Then years down the road had a 6mm Rem in a Rem 700 I wanted to seat 100 gr bullet's to the lands with and found out the thing wouldn't fit in the magazine well! Rifle never did shoot very well! What your wanting and depending on how you like to seat bullet's everything is gonna hang on the magazine well!

When I had the barrel put on my 6.5x06, I made up a dummy round with the 140gr bullet seated to the base of the neck and the round did fit the magazine well of the Rem 700 I was having re-barreled. So gave the dummy to the gunsmith and that rifle is chambered so I can seat the bullet the way I want it. Tried some 129gr bullet's and still reach's the lands but not seated to the base of the neck, a bit short but it is over one cal depth and works pretty well. Whole thing depend's of weather the loaded round you want will fit the magazine of the action you use.

Order a shouldered prefit in whatever cartridge tickles your fancy and spin it on your tikka and keep or sell the 300 win mag barrel. 7mm prc would not be one of them for at least a couple years when you can find components. Can go through preferredbarrels.com and get a prefit for $420

Back