Which week of rifle season would you hunt Montana?

Lineman300

I am trying to decide on which week would to hunt during the rifle season in Montana. As far as opportunity, pressure, and weather what are some thoughts? I have a combo tag but elk is the main focus.

Example in 1985 the Sun River Game range was nearly shut down due to snow in early October, in 2017 it was in the 60's & 70's and you couldn't find an Elk. Look at the long range weather outlook from NOAA and flip a coin.

More elk are killed on the last week in my area... I would definitely say the last week is the best. You just have to miss thanksgiving dinner

Any week is good during rifle. Just have to find those critters. Really though, I would avoid opening week of rifle like the plague. Especially when you think you've hiked in beyond anyone else. Just tooooo many folks with itchy trigger fingers running around that first week.

You bought a tag, you must have an idea of where your hunting. So what did your intel tell you to hunt that area. Opener and weekends are always busy.

It depends where you’re hunting, but usually, the first couple hours of opening morning are good, after that its over. Around the 17th of November things start to pick up a bit and only get better if weather gets cold and the snow dumps. If no snow/cold until end of season, it can make things tough until season end; and even tougher for someone who doesn’t have much experience in the country they’re hunting.

I've had good luck going the 2nd full week of November every year for deer and for elk .weathers cool bucks are rutting and elk have got the feed bags on . Find agriculture fields and you'll find both

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back