Which State? CO. WY. MT.

N.E. Deer Hunter

Hello all
I am new to western big game hunting, but a long time Eastern Whitetail deer hunter. I am starting to plan a OYO hunt for 2 weeks in 2014 I will be driving out and camping it which ever state I end up going with. It may seem early to start planning but I would like to make 2 or 3 shorter scouting trips during the season, out to the areas I am thinking about before I apply for tags. I have done some preliminary research and have narrowed it down to one of the three states. Right now i am leaning toward CO as it seems that they have the best odds on drawing a tag. any input on GU or areas to look would be much appreciated. I am really looking to have the experience and shooting a monster trophy is not the most important thing to me (not that it wouldn't be awesome). Thanks for any input to help me out in my research!

What are you planning on hunting and with what weapon? Colorado has alot of public land and some generous OTC tag allocations for archery antelope and elk, plus many rifle elk tags.

Sorry i left that part out. I would like to go for Elk with a rifle but i am open to using a muzzleloader too. I also would like to try and work in a mule deer tag but i realize that may be a stretch as there not always in the same areas. From what learned so far Colorado seems pretty good.

Mule deer tags would be draw only and can sometimes take a good number of points for a NR. Muzzleloader tags would also be drawing for elk. The CO DOW sight has alot of helpful information with interactive maps and statistics and stuff to look at and start with.....

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/

The elk hunting university 101 articles have some awesome information for a new elk hunter

Yeah those articles are great there is a ton of awesome info in them, they are part of the reason I am leaning toward Colorado. One of the things i'm struggling with is the whole idea of being able to camp where your elk hunting. How do you go about finding a place to camp within a reasonable distance of where you will be hunting? are you permitted to just set up camp where ever you want on the federal land? or are there designated spots you have to camp? Here in CT they will arrest you if you set up camp anywhere other than a state park set up with facilities and all. So i guess what im asking is once you find a GMU you want to hunt in is finding a spot to camp relatively easy?

As far as I know you can camp anywhere you want on public land. There may be fire restrictions in areas if it's been a dry year, but that's about it that I know of

Some of the areas I am looking at are GMU 47 , 7, and 43. Any thoughts on these for a novice? Also for a novice would you recommend trying for the first season or wait until later on?

I don't have any knowledge of those units...sorry. First season the elk will still be pretty high up. I've always hunted the during archery and 4th season. I like the weather better during archery and you can get them closer into their rut...and it's a way longer season. I know alot of people that have good success with 3rd season, and now the DOW has extended it by an extra weekend and the weather can sometimes be cold and have the elk on their way down low toward winter grounds.2nd and 3rd seasons are the ones you'll find the OTC rifle tags, and archery

So not trying for the draw and going with a OTC tag is really a pretty good option for a rifle hunter? I have recently just started bow hunting but I dont think my skills are quite at the point yet to try Elk with a bow. What area in general do you hunt? Im not asking you for any specific info just a general area like county wise?

I hunt the west side of the state near Montrose and Grand Junction. From the sounds of it, you have 2 years to get your archery skills going..lol If you're waiting a couple years, it might not be a bad idea to start banking some points.

I was thinking that same thing I figure i could get at least 2 points by the time I apply so it might get me into a little better area. Really the bottom line is I want to go Elk hunting and see some animals and enjoy it so hopefully with doing enough research i can accomplish that. My plan is once i have a few units picked out too take a short trip out there in October and scout them out. and then in the following two years really narrow it down. well see how it goes. Thanks for the input and pointers!

nothing beats pounding the ground and getting out here for yourself IMO...and if you got 3 years take some time come...it's going to be way different then CT I would imagine...get in shape...best advice I can give...

I have read that. It seems to be a recurring theme! Any suggestions on areas or units to look at for novice. I don't expect people to give away there honey hole but any general ideas as places to start would be great. I have looked a lot on tha Dow web site and got a few ideas from there. One unit they mentioned was 47 I think that it is a pretty mountainous one but it's a starting point.

there are all going to be mountainous...that's where most of the elk live....never hunted there so I can't tell you anything about it...but Ive seen elk pretty much everywhere I've been you just have to look

Yeah I hear ya on that. I'm hoping to get out there this fall and start my scouting. That should give me a good idea of what I'll be dealing with.

If your going out there to scout why not pic an area with a OTC tag and just hunt.If your putting all that expense into it I would think the cost of the tag would be minimal plus you have a chance to harvest an animal.Just a thought.

I would echo what cornfed said and buy a license. IMHO if you are going all the way out from the East Coast, do it hunting and not just scouting if you plan on going during the open season. Also, don't sell Wyoming short. If you don't plan on hunting until the 2014 season you can buy a PP each summer (7/1-9/30) and have 3 PPs going into the January 2014 draw with a chance at a good tag in a LE unit then compared to what CO would offer. With as much time as you have before you plan to go there are more options that are as good or better than CO in MHO!

I would say the same about a tag but being realistic adding a $600 tag sure adds to the cost IMO and not to mention if he happens to shoot something that can really add to the cost...Just my thoughts on that subject

Of the 3 states you listed,I'd choose Wy. hands down.This will be my 1st year in Mt. though.general elk tag in Wy. will require 1 point which you buy by the end of Sept.You don't have to choose weapons in Wy either
If your set on Co.,then I agree, it makes no sense to scout in rifle season without a tag

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back