Yeti GOBOX Collection

Which Rounds Should I Use?

RugerHawg413

I am going to elk hunt later this year out west (I am in Arkansas), and I going to use a 7mm Rem Mag. I currently use Federal Fusion 175 grain soft points because of the blood trail and I think they sometimes kill the animal much faster. But I am shooting at max 300 yards and at a 180 lb whitetail. Obviously, elk are much bigger and I may but doubt I will have to shoot father than 300 yards. So, should I use a faster and lighter ballistic tip or stick to soft points? And if I change to ballistic tips which ones should I use? Thanks for all the help and info! God Bless!

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk through the ribs with that flavor fusion. But if you are going to try the BT, I'd go 150's. Tough bullets, they are not going to blow up.

Federal does not advertise the Fusions as a "big game" bullet, take that for whatever it is to you. In fairness, I believe the same is true with Nosler and the BT. I know of elk being killed with both, but I suppose my choice between the two is the Fusion. It's a tougher construction built with controlled expansion in mind. I've never shot an elk with either, though, so my opinion is largely theoretical.

I've shot elk with Accubonds, Hornady Interlocks, and one with a Remington Core-lokt. Of the 3 the only one I'd never use again on an elk is the Core-lokt. It fragmented more than I like, but I've had them do that on whitetail deer as well. Everyone has their own thing they like, some like a rapid expansion bullet that dumps a lot of kinetic energy into the vitals causing rapid organ failure from the shock. I prefer the bullet to hold together and plow a good wound channel completely through the animal with the confidence it won't disintegrate if it hits bone. Nothing wrong with the Ballistic Tip, but he Fusion is more along that design.

Personally I would use a Nosler Partition or Accubond or something along those lines. I only ever shot one elk with a soft point and never found it. Makes me sick to this day. Vowed right then and there on the mountain to never shoot an animal with anything less than a premium hunting bullet. That animal deserved better. Never had an animal go more than a few yards with a partition or accubond. Much better for “big” game animals with tough hides like elk.

You will be just fine. Sight it in dead on at 200 and you are covered well past that for a point blank range. The Fusion bullet has a fine reputation and will do well-especially at that weight.

I have shot most of mine with 160 Partitions.

What about Barnes VOR-TX Ammunition 140 Grain TTSX Polymer Tipped Spitzer Boat Tail for elk? Heard great things about them.

You are thinking to much about this. Just run the 175 grain load and be done. Killing elk or anything else isn’t hard
You will be just fine using your current ammo. That being said I'm from the school of "keep shooting until the elk is down."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back