Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which Petzal Headlamp ?

Trigger50

I'm seeking suggestions on which Peztl headlamp to buy for my 10 days backpack archery elk hunt. Thanks

If you have your heart set on Petzl, can't help you.

I have a Princeton TEC and it works very well. I have a Princeton Fuel which is good enough to keep from going over a cliff. But the TEC has a single beam and it is bright. (100 Lumens if memory serves) It is good for blood tracking. (Since it is a single LED.) Can also reduce brightness and extend battery life. (I use lithiums)

Just switched from PETZL, which served me well for years, to a Black Diamond. Much brighter if needed then my PETZL. Cost for brightness is an additional AAA battery making it a bit heavy. Small price to pay IMO.

Thanks for the opinions. I'm not set on Petzl. Just read that they one the best. I'm broaden my research.

Whichever you get, make sure it doesn't have blinking LED for low battery condition. It'll drive you crazy.

I also have a single LED Princeton TEC with filters, previous model to EOS. Runs on 3 AAA's and produces plenty of concentrated light ~90 Lumens. To be honest, I'm a huge fan on single LED high quality lights. In my finding multi led headlamps and flashlights don't tend to provide the same performance as a quality single LED. IMHO they tend to be a bit smaller and lighter while providing a more focused beam, the only downside is they do tend to chew through batteries in a bit of a hurry...

If I was really looking for a minimalist headlamp, I'd take a long hard look at a Surefire minimus... 3.3 oz's 100 lumens and runs on 1 battery... That's going to be tough to beat...

Last edited:
I was always really happy with my petzl, until I walked out in the dark with MinnesotaHunter last spring. I couldn't even tell mine was on because of how bright the trail was from his black diamond.

While sledding my whitetail out on thanksgiving, I found a black diamond in the middle of the trail. I'm excited to try it out this spring.

AAA batteries are easy to find stateside, nearly impossible to find in many international settings. C size batteries can also be hard to find.

My favorite headlamp to use for dental missions trips is a Petzl that keeps the batteries on my belt, with a cable going to the headlamp. Old school, but it keeps the weight off the head and has a focusing ring to throw a very tight beam of light.

The newer LED bulbs have much longer run times compared to old bulb technology.

I use a Black Diamond for work, hunting and fishing. Probably wouldn't use anything else and they've lasted for years bouncing around inside my fire pack or hunting pack

I've had a pile of lamps; petzl, BD, princeton tec, mammut. I favor mammut on average but it's really more about the feature set for me. The BD's I've used fit funny on my forehead, but otherwise they were fine.

Have a Petzel, not sure which one.I like the green and red lenses for stealth wear. Hate the switch.
Have an old Cabellas AAA too that is great for reading maps and when I need bright work light.
Was looking at The BD last time I was in REI,time to upgrade. I like only needing 2 battery types for lights,Game/Cameras,GPS....AA AAA. Rechargables, never run out of light..............Amazon has rechargeables cheep that work.

Last edited:
Petzl Tikka 2! real simple and lightweight but provides good illumination. Allow me, however, to suggest the black diamond spot. This is probably the best bang for the buck in my opinion. It has all the features you need including high and low beam, strobe, a dimming feature and perhaps my personal favorite (or at least my girlfriends) the red light. Really useful for reading at night and not blinding yourself or your tentmate. All this for like 40 bucks I think.

I also use the Princeton. Cabelas has it on sale quite frequently for $12 and is a solid deal.

Black Diamond

My lamp is 'Black Diamond. Works great has a lock out, so it doesn't turn on inside your pack. Red light for night vision too.

BTW, keeping the same battery format (AAA vs. AA) in your headlamp, gps, camera, etc. saves ounces and hassle.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back