Which OTC species has eluded you the longest?

2rocky

We all have species that seem to just be our "white whale". Mine happens to be a black bear. I've had one in range with a rifle and one with a bow at 33 yards. The bow bear was moving and I was overly cautious about making a bad shot. The rifle, I was hunting with a buddy and I moved to get in a better position and he took the shot and killed it.

It is 5 hours to bear country for me.

I've never killed a mourning dove with a shotgun. ECD's aplenty with the pellet rifle.
There are Duck species I've never killed but didn't matter to me.
Didn't kill my first coyote until I was in my 40's.
I was 44 before I ever caught a Walleye, Pike or Smallmouth bass. (had to travel to Winnipeg to do it)
Still have not ever caught a Salmon (ocean or River) but I've caught a steelhead.

What OTC species elude you?

I just can't seem to get a bull canvasback. I each year make at least one hunting outting dedicated to divers and have shot em all pretty much but that elusive big boy.

Mountain lion, I quit buying a tag 5 years ago, had one circle me for hours in the dark after I killed a bull, buddies hiked in to help me pack out, they thought I was being paranoid until they heard it doing circles just outside of our headlamps while we quartered it. Came 30 ft from 3 on the opener of shed season and the day after the season closed, mom and 2 kittens, pulled the gun they all took a few steps towards me, I yelled and they ran to the closest trees and just stayed there. Wolf, 3 chances, glassed up 3 of them crawling 200yrds from a group of sheep, the sheep were oblivious to them, I was 650yrds away, wind in my face, in the trees, crosshairs on the one in the lead, he looked right at me before I was ready to shoot, must have seen a flash of light off the scope, they took off running, I spent the next 5 hours after them with no luck but at least I might have saved a sheep. Missed a quick 300yrd offhand shot at one off the road while looking for a cow elk, spent 2 hours tracking it through the snow, by the third time he circled back to watch his tracks and I figured out what he was doing, he made it into the thick stuff and it was all over. Third time we were out elk hunting, a huge wolf was skylined looking at some deer and while I was setting up for a shot, 3 other hunters walked up on the same ridge as the wolf and started glassing the deer not even noticing the wolf a couple hundred yards away... the wolf noticed them and was gone in the blink of an eye. Jeff got me thinking though, a pintail and woody are something I’ve always wanted🤔

Wolf for me. Only chance I ever had was at 30 yards while sitting in a tree stand over a water hole.A nice male came in and drank at the water.
I drew back my bow and shot a blunt tipped arrow into a leaf where he had been standing about a minute after he left. It was 2010 or 11. The year they went back onto the ESL after the first year MT had a season.

Why couldn’t it have happened a year earlier or a year later?

We all have species that seem to just be our "white whale". Mine happens to be a black bear. I've had one in range with a rifle and one with a bow at 33 yards. The bow bear was moving and I was overly cautious about making a bad shot. The rifle, I was hunting with a buddy and I moved to get in a better position and he took the shot and killed it.

It is 5 hours to bear country for me.

I've never killed a mourning dove with a shotgun. ECD's aplenty with the pellet rifle.
There are Duck species I've never killed but didn't matter to me.
Didn't kill my first coyote until I was in my 40's.
I was 44 before I ever caught a Walleye, Pike or Smallmouth bass. (had to travel to Winnipeg to do it)
Still have not ever caught a Salmon (ocean or River) but I've caught a steelhead.

What OTC species elude you?
I’m the exact opposite when it comes to doves every year we go out and kill alot of morning doves with shotgun but I’ve never gotten a Eurasian or no anyone that has but they do say they are around here

It was black bear, until I got one in Alaska last year. So maybe that doesn't even count, I don't know. Hehe

Now it's Coues deer, I'm 0-2.

Aren’t actually OTC but never drew a Calif elk or antelope tag in over 20 years of trying, have taken numerous of both by rifle and bow living elsewhere but never when living in Cali

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back