Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Which nosler bullet do you prefer?

I’m sure others have much more experience than me, but I’ve killed elk and deer with Accubonds and TTSX. I’d be happy with either.

180 grain Partitions in my .30 Gibbs,
160 grain Accubonds in my 7mm Rem mag, and
115 grain Ballistic Tips in my. 257 Ackley

You have imagine more states will start limiting lead bullets down the road.

Thanks for your thoughts. I heard accubond dont expand well under 2000 fps. I definitely want to do some testing myself
I would trust the accubond under 2000fps but the Etips I would say 2000fps is their limit for reliable expansion.

150 Grain Accubonds for anything heavier than Mule Deer (Elk, Black Bear, Sheep), 150 grain Ballistic tips for Mule deer, White tails to Antelope on down to Coyotes. My 30:06 slings em both under 1" MOA

The accubond line from Nosler quickly became my go-to when it became available. But honestly, I never have had a complaint with the partition. I've seen to much meat damage from both the ballistic tip and and the accubond lr on closer range hits.

For elk and deer. Have you tried the e-tips yet?

I've taken elk with the 175 gr Partition from a 7mm Rem Mag. Excellent performance, bullet went through the chest, exited the other side. Good size bull took a few faltering steps and went down. Range was maybe 180 yards, or a bit less. That Partition performed exactly as expected.

Took a big cow elk with the 165 gr Ballistic Tip from my 30-06. Bullet went through one shoulder blade, destroyed the lungs, and broke the off side shoulder blade. Never found the bullet, I think it went missing during field dressing. Range was just short of 340 yards. At the hit she sorta stumbled forward & downhill about 20 yards. Quick kill.

That was the year that I took elk, mule deer, antelope & black bear, all with the same 30-06 handload, the 165 gr Ballistic Tip at 2940 fps. Heck of a season for me. :) I am very impressed with that bullet, both the accuracy and the lethal effect on target. Ballistic Tips, the 165 .30 cal and the 115 grain from my 25-06, have become my favorite "all around" hunting bullet for deer sized game.

Only Accubonds I've used on game were 260 grain bullets from my 375 H&H @ 2650 fps. I've shot three black bear with them from 15 feet to 300 yards. Excellent performance each time, and good accuracy too.

Haven't tried the E-Tips yet, but have some on standby in case unleaded bullets become mandatory where I hunt.

Regards, Guy

I've killed critters with Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, Accubond LR's and E-Tips. All did the job very well. I wouldn't use the LR's for applications where the bullet was going to hit with alot of velocity, but otherwise very happy with all. Nosler makes good stuff. I'm currently shooting 140 grain E-tips in my 7mm-08 for hunting, and practice with 140 BT's.

switching from ttsx to accubonds or partitions. ttsx shot well, but accubonds cloverleaf for me at 100 yards. Haven't shot the partitions yet, and will need to wait until ammo becomes available before I shoot again. Note to self: keep more than 1 box on hand....

I have used everything but e-tips and would have liked to but they always seemed unavailable so I use Barnes TTSX and am switching all my big game rounds to the TTSX. That being said I am a big fan of all the Nosler bullets I have used. The Ballistic tips kill with authority but are explosive and damage meat is an issue. The Ballistic tip tamed that in my opinion. The tried and true Partition is my favorite.

Tried E-Tips for the first time this year shooting from a 7mm-08 with factory loads. Shot plenty well (0.7 MOA or better) and two antelope were taken with that, both around 200 yards. While not big critters, the wound channel comparison to other stuff we've used was educational - seems to have a somewhat narrower wound channel than say an Accubond (consistent with expectations) and does less meat damage. Our hunting social circle has used Barnes TTSX and LRX on a variety of critters, and the E-Tips seem to have comparable performance. At this point, I think we will be shooting copper for all big game applications, and the choice of TTSX/LRX/E-Tip will simply be a matter of what is most convenient for a particular rifle.

You can't for wrong with the Partition, Accubond, or E-tip. I've been using the 165 gr. Accubond in my 30-06 now for a while, and 140 gr. Accubond in my 280AI also. It's performed very well and my 280AI is what I used with the 140 gr. accubond on my grizzly bear in 2019. It performed very well and the bear was dead almost instantly with a shot tight behind the shoulder in his lungs. The bullet exited. I haven't shot game with the E-tip, but my son has taken deer, antelope, and elk with his 6mm Remington shooting 90 gr. E-tips. He shot a big old cow elk at about 350 yards. One shot in the lungs tight behind the shoulder. She staggered about 20 yards and tipped over. The bullet exited the off-side shoulder. Now that's performance. The E-tip also worked very well .

Attachments

• DSCF0797.JPG
    DSCF0797.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 11
Every elk I have killed with a rifle has been killed with a 180 grain Partition out of my .300 Win Mag. I won't win any shooting matches with them in the off season, but I never heard any elk refuse to die because my larger than MOA group at the range. I've also shot a few dead elk walking for insurance, but I've had a few one shot kills too. It is a tried and true bullet design .

I used e-tips this year and was pleased with the results. (300wm/180gr) I had trouble getting them to group really well initially but found that out of my rifle, the e-tips prefer a fouled barrel. Drove me crazy figuring that out.

Back