which new bow for elk hunting?

rufous

I am just starting to research new compound bows. I have a Martin Lynx Magnum that I bought new in 1993. I live in Walla Walla and Martin is located in Walla Walla so I do have some brand loyalty but if Martin bows are surpassed by other manufacturers then I will seriously consider another brand.

I want to buy a new compound for elk hunting. Draw length of about 29” and draw weight of at least 70# (my current Martin has a draw length of 30” and weight of 75#). I am getting 218 fps from it with a 532 grain total arrow weight.

Accuracy is very important to me. I am not confident that I could shoot one of the really radical new bows with 325 fps IBO speed and short brace height well. So I want a bow that is as they say forgiving of slight errors in form. But I do not want a slow bow either. One of the main reasons I am considering a new bow is to get one that is considerably faster than my current bow. I will likely continue to shoot aluminum arrows at a similar weight. I hope to pick up 25 or more fps from a new bow. Is that realistic to get that much more speed in a forgiving bow? Incidentally what makes a bow forgiving other than brace height? I understand why brace height makes a difference (longer brace heights release the arrow from the string sooner so there is less time for the arrow to be affected by the shooter’s poor form) but are there other factors that make one bow with an 8” brace height more forgiving than a different bow of the same brace height?

What all bows should I consider for my given application and desires? I read an interesting in depth comparison of two bows (the 2004 Bowtech Liberty against the 2004 Champion Diablo ETS) at the following link: http://www.huntersfriend.com/shootout/shootout.htm and wonder where I could find other good reviews of new bows. Is the Bowtech Liberty a good choice for hunting elk or would there be better choices? Thanks, Rufous.

I just went through this myself.

Shoot as many bows as they will let you at the archery shops. You'll find out that the new bows of today are totaly diffrent from the bow you are shooting now. I shot probably close to 20 diffrent bows in my testing... I ended up getting a bow marketed by Red Head and made by Hoyt/Reflex.

I had quite a few diffrent ones that I wanted after I shot them too. I really liked the Bowtech and its counterpart made by Diamond (with the longest axel to axel), as well as the Parker Phenix and the Reflex Buckskin and Super Slam. I also shot a couple Martins, they were decent, but there was others that I liked a more... Some have virtually no recoil at all with little to no dampeners.

IMO I would stay away from the little short bows 32" and under. From what I've read that is pretty much the biggest thing to consider as far as "unforgiving" is concerned. Most bows made today have relitivly the same brace height so that really wasn't that big of a consideration for me one inch one way or another I really don't think was that big of a diffrence. I could be wrong though. I didn't shoot a lot of groups and compare brace heights.

Right now I have my bow set up at about 60 pounds until I get some more trigger time and then I will probably crank it up a little more... maybe. I'm 100% confidant that it would be perfect for elk if I wanted to shoot one with it set up as is. I'm shooting a 520+/- grain arrow at about 260 fps as is. I know it shoots way faster than my old bow and it would crank out a pretty heafty arrow at about 230... I honestly don't think that the extra 10 pounds I could crank it up would gain me much more speed, maybe 5-7fps...

The new bows are capable of pushing arrows faster than old bows with less draw weight...

Check out the latest from Alpine Archery. They tend to be a little shorter and lighter than most.

:cool:

I really really like my Mathews Legacy. I did the same thing you did 2 years ago. Shot every bow on the market and it was an easy choice for me. But each shooter is different and before you buy you should definelty try a lot of different bows(shooting).

Another reason I'm sold on Mathews is the customer service and warranty. I rolled my 4-wheeler on my bow, bent the cam in half and split my top limb. Within three days after I returned it to the dealer I had new parts for my bow. Which included two new limbs, string and cables. Re-set it up that day and I shot my elk the next. They didn't have to replace anything because it was totally my fault. But with no questions asked, parts where sent. So I am now a Mathews owner for life.

Good luck in your quest for the right bow.

Later,

Hi Roufus...

That site you listed has a great source.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/2005-Bow-Review/bow-specifications-main.htm

Before that...maybe even take the time to read the bow selection guide.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

In a nutshell there are pros and cons to all of them.

You'll never get above 300fps with that heavy of an arrow at anything less than 90+ pounds...I wouldn't worry about that.

IBO speeds are, however, a pretty good indicator of how effiecient a bow is.

As for forgivensess...that's really very objective.

A longer, slightly heavier bow, in theory, will be a more stable platform and is generally viewed as "more forgiving" than a shorter, lighter one.

But that's not always the case.

Martin still makes some great bows. Slayr, RazorX and the Cougar 3 are some of my favs from them.

Look at the Slayr with the Nitrous cams. Shorter Brace but a 38" ATA and it's about the heaviest bare bow out there now. It's MUCH easier to shoot than the specs would indicate.

best bet is to try a bunch and see what feels good.

Rufous,
Are you unhappy with your present bow? I mean is it too heavy, or too loud. Are you able to put your arrows on target at "elk hunting" ranges (say 40 to 45 yards)? If the you are hitting what you're shooting at, and you're using a properly balanced and tuned, razor sharp broadhead, why change? If you just want a new bow by all means get one, but I for one don't see the need to if you're already deadly with the one you've got. I guess what I'm trying to say is a new bow by itself won't get you any closer to a big arrow-killed bull. Besides, your current set-up should shoot an arrow through any elk. If you've already killed an elk or 2 with this bow and you're not getting the penetration you thought you should than it may be time to change broad-heads or go with a faster shaft.

Is arrow speed your main concern? Granted, fast arrows make for narrower margins of error in the event you under estimate range.

Why not take the 8 to 900 dollars you'd spend on a new rig (after its all said and done) and buy some top quality binocs, or some good mid-grade glass plus new boots, a range finder, and a new pack. Hell for $900, you can get a half-way decent horse to pack your elk out on.

JM2C
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Good bows are not hard to come by these days.

In all honesty, with all of the technology available and the high tech manufacturing processes that they use, its hard to make a really bad bow.

What's going to make the difference in what you pick is how the bow balances in your hand and how well you can shoot it. I guarantee you, you can put any bow made into a machine shooter, and they will all shoot bullet hole groups. How well it shoots for you all depends on how well you can replicate the machine holding the bow.

Going with the big brand names is certainly trendy and the trends will fluctuate depending on what area of the world your in. So don't get caught up on a hype! The only way your going to get a bow for you is to shoot one. The best adivise I can give you is don't buy anything unless you have shot it first! If the pro shop won't set a bow up for you to test shoot then they are not worth your time and you need to find another place to do business. Also, I don't recommend buying a "new bow" over the internet such as thru ebay. You may get lucky and you may not, but often a bow bought like this voids the manufacture warranty. Check all the details out first.

The bow brands you are talking about are all reputable and come with a heafty price tag. I shoot a Hoyt ViperTec, not because of hype, but because that bow feels best to me with the balance of my setup, the draw, and the shot. The price was well worth it to have the bow that I shot best.

I agree with others shoot them until you find one you like and that is comfortable for you. I have the Mathews Switchback and I really like that one, but anymore they are all awesome.

I also agree with what is being said... One saying I have lived by for years is: You will only shoot the bow as good as you are comfortable with it. If it does not fit, you will fight it. If you are looking at a new bow for just alittle more speed but the bow you are shooting is working.. Change a few things on the bow and not the whole bow. You say its 30 inch draw, change the draw modules to the 29 you want, I assume that 75lbs is peak draw weight? If so turn it down some get a setback rest and shorten and lighten the arrow and you will gain speed. for a more forgiving bow you will want to stay with a longer axle to axle bow. Little heaver and lot more forgiving. I shoot fingers and I stay in a longer axle to axle bow for that reason as well as finger pinch.
Anyway, Just my 2 cents. What ever you do have fun doing it.. :D

Enrut

MATHEWS BABY!!!!! MATHEWS. i have the Q2 and the Outback both are awesome. My Q2 is set up with carbon beamen ICS 400s with 100 grin revolutions (open on impact broad head) this combo is for Deer. My Outback is set up with carbon Beamen ICS 340s with 150 grain thunderhead fixed blades. this combo is for my dangerous game in Alaska. I probably would use it for Elk too. Ditto on the customer service quality menion by the other guys. I sold them for 2 years was never disappointed. BUT!!! they get pricey so it comes down to what you want to spend!!! they are pretty much top of the line.

I would fully agree with the others on what you like for feel, the quality is pretty much standard any more...

I shoot a Martin Pride split limb.

I don't know if they make these any more, but I like split limbs and this one just seemed to fit when I picked it up to give it a try.

It is about 9 years old now I would guess and the technologies since this one came out have changed dramatically, but it still sticks them out there at over 275 fps at 68 lbs... That is as tight as I can get it...

They have came out with the shorter, power house technology since I bought this, even though things have changed since it's inseption, it is quite light and fast for it's time and suits me... :)

new bow

I would suggest going to the archery store and trying them all out, i tryed bowtec , mathews, and most of the others and settled for a jennings.its a older model but it shot better and felt better and was quieter then the rest. its witchever one feels best for you, it doesnt have to be the highest priced one they have.

Mathiews

Check out Mathiews Switchback it has some of the finest charicteristics I've ever seen in a bow and most importantly, super quiet. I own a Mathiews and love it. The Switchback will most likely be my next bow.

OK, I have another question to add....what if you do not have a good, well stocked archery shop anywhere close by? I would hate to think that I would have to drive at least 2 hours each way to only get a look at a few makes/models.

I personally would wait until I could handle a few of the bows every bow is a little different and you should try and shoot them to feel what is the best for you.

I'm 100% with Wyomuley...

This is an expensive proposition, you should take the time and energy to get some thing you will want to shoot for years...

I made it a point to pull back every bow I could come in contact with and the store owners would let me pull back, I pulled back a lot of bows in over a years time before I finally pulled one that felt perfect.

Thats the one I purchesed right then and haven't been unhappy with it ever...

I wouldn't be in a hurry picking your bow, the old one you have has serviced you well till now I am assuming and another 6 months or so, won't hurt a thing... :)

The Matthews Switchback is AWESOME! That will be my next bow for sure. Then again, I dont think you can go wrong with any bow made by Hoyt, Matthews, or PSE.

SCOTT

Back