Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Which Items are Worth Upgrading

Short nights in September I’ll sleep in a backpacking tent all day long. But a wall tent with a hot stove, cold beer, and tacos is the best morale booster I know of when there’s 14 hours of darkness in November. I’ll gladly get up an hour or two earlier and hike in the dark for that.

Well sounds like you and @JLS need to take me on a late season hunt and change my mind.

My SIL has a double stiff WM which is quite nice.

That said per @Benjamins actual question.

I would get a solid 10-15 degree bag, then get;

1. Synthetic puffy pants
2. Warm down jacket
3. Warm synthetic jacket

You can wear it all together and add a ton to your bags eating you and bring those pieces on various hunts depending on the weather.

If your counting oz on a backpack hunt just seems silly to wear warm clothes glassing and then take them off for sleeping because your bag is too hot.
Not that I dismissed warmer clothes but I didn't quite realize the investment that the good quality stuff is. Any suggestions on specific brands? I'm definitely not opposed to used but I'm 6'5" so used gear that fits me seems to be hard to come by.

Not that I dismissed warmer clothes but I didn't quite realize the investment that the good quality stuff is. Any suggestions on specific brands? I'm definitely not opposed to used but I'm 6'5" so used gear that fits me seems to be hard to come by.
Arcteryx/Sitka/Kuiu/outdoor research/Patagonia/Rabb/mountain hardware/montbell etc

Good quality just in my mind means weight and durability

Some awesome stuff pops up on Backcountry.com and Steepandcheap. I am 6'4" and it's very helpful that you can sort on those sites by size. Just check them once a week and in a couple years you can put together a solid wardrobe of lightweight, durable gear. Before you pull the trigger, look up reviews, particularly concerning durability.

So i'm not reading through 5 pages of replies to see if this was addressed, but the very first thing I'd replace are those boots. I have owned them as my around town shoes for a couple years and they are great for that, but they are definitely NOT hunting boots unless you are in a desert. If you so much as walk through damp grass your feet will get wet almost immediately. I can't imagine how miserable and how many toes would turn black if you tried to hunt in snow. I could go on, but I shouldn't need to at this point.

Jeez, before you pitch those Lowas let me PM you my address so they don’t go to waste 🙄🙄

Jeez, before you pitch those Lowas let me PM you my address so they don’t go to waste 🙄🙄
LOL! Like I said they are great for around town and I have them on right now, but I would rather wear Merrells hunting, they still soak through but at least there is some protection in the form of a liner. I have 3 pairs of Kenetreks that I use for hunting and backpacking, those are great boots and fit my feet perfectly. FWIW Lowa hunting boots don't fit me very well.

So i'm not reading through 5 pages of replies to see if this was addressed, but the very first thing I'd replace are those boots. I have owned them as my around town shoes for a couple years and they are great for that, but they are definitely NOT hunting boots unless you are in a desert. If you so much as walk through damp grass your feet will get wet almost immediately. I can't imagine how miserable and how many toes would turn black if you tried to hunt in snow. I could go on, but I shouldn't need to at this point.

Similar experience. I bought those boots on clearance at sierra trading post for $100. They're great for what they are--lightweight, good fit, very comfy. I put a lot of miles on them. But it didn't take long to learn that their waterproofing was subpar. Go for a long walk in some wet grass before taking them on a hunt where you might have snow/slush. If your feet stay dry, great. If not, maybe look at getting another pair.

I wear Lowa Tibbets for late season and Crispi Thor for early season and am very happy with both. They're very different boots but they each do what they do well.

With every gear question there is a 99% chance the most common response is to buy one of the most expensive options and "buy once, cry once". Which i totally get. My question is what are the absolute necessities that need to be high end? I'd love to go buy top of the line everything to do with back pack hunting but it's just not feasible to do in one year. Next year will be my first year truly back pack hunting. I'm mainly focused on big ticket items here and don't really have a concrete budget, just not looking to spend like a fool either. Currently I have a mystery ranch sawtooth pack, lowa renegade boots, a tikka 300 win Mag, 8x42 Athlon Ares binoculars as well as an Ares spotter. I know I still need a tent and sleeping bag among other things. Where should I focus my money and where are some areas that can get me by for the time being? Hopefully my question makes sense and thanks for any input!

It's hard to answer that question without knowing where you're hunting and what the conditions will be. I spent a few weeks antelope hunting in the plains and bought a better rangefinder after. I couldn't see an elk at dusk and bought a better scope. I spent a few nights shivering in the cold and bought a better sleeping pad and bag after. Your question isn't unreasonable, but learning what equipment works well for you and what doesn't is a process of trial and error. Maybe your pack works so well that you don't mind a little extra weight on your back and can save money by getting a synthetic bag instead of down. My general recommendation would be to get "good" stuff without spending any money on "great" stuff--not yet. Nothing needs to be high end at the start. Once you spend some time on the mountain you'll know where to get the best personal value for your dollar.

All that being said, the two best pieces of kit I've ever purchased were the Kifaru Gunbearer and an Alaska Guide Creations bino pack.

With the gear mentioned in the OP, we're well into the high-quality range and any changes to that gear should come from personal experience, not internet opinions.

I think in terms of systems. Pack, optics, weapon, and footware are covered. Next priority for me would undoubtedly be sleep system, since you can get away with a lot of different shelter options if your bag and pad are high quality. The truth is that all the name brand outdoors/mountaineering options are very high quality. Marmot (my personal favorite for sleeping bags), Patagonia, North Face, Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardwear, etc all make excellent options. The top-tier stuff comes from the likes of Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. For pads, I'm currently using (and absolutely love) my Nemo Tensor Insulated pad. Nemo, Big Agnes, and of course Thermarest set the standard for pads.

Clothing layers are important, but after many years of recommending things to friends and more recently teaching basic mountaineering, I'm firmly into the camp of "to each their own" on layers. I'd steer clear of cotton/denim/etc, but otherwise the only way to find what works is to try things for yourself. No one call tell you what fits your body and your other layers, or what will work for your individual thermoregulation.

After that, my attention would turn to shelter. There are a bajillion good options out there. I'm currently using a couple different Slingfin (who design and manufacture Stone Glacier's shelters, FWIW) shelters. They're spendy but I've never seen anything more stormworthy for the weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back