Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which Items are Worth Upgrading

Benjamins

With every gear question there is a 99% chance the most common response is to buy one of the most expensive options and "buy once, cry once". Which i totally get. My question is what are the absolute necessities that need to be high end? I'd love to go buy top of the line everything to do with back pack hunting but it's just not feasible to do in one year. Next year will be my first year truly back pack hunting. I'm mainly focused on big ticket items here and don't really have a concrete budget, just not looking to spend like a fool either. Currently I have a mystery ranch sawtooth pack, lowa renegade boots, a tikka 300 win Mag, 8x42 Athlon Ares binoculars as well as an Ares spotter. I know I still need a tent and sleeping bag among other things. Where should I focus my money and where are some areas that can get me by for the time being? Hopefully my question makes sense and thanks for any input!

You have solid optics, boots, and pack. That’s a good foundation to build on. If I were in your shoes I’d budget $300 sleeping bag, $40 trekking poles, $250 tent, $150 tripod, and $450 scope + rings. If you can buy used you can discount all those prices, except a good scope tends to hold its value.

Also, it helped me to keep an equipment upgrade list after going on a few hunts. You’ll quickly realize which items you want to swap out sooner than later and which ones you can live with. Then every year after next year you can focus on upgrading maybe 1 item per year.

Every hunter has different preferences. Personally, my optics cost far more than all my other equipment combined. Even so, the top item on my acquisition list is a Meopta spotter.

Also, it helped me to keep an equipment upgrade list after going on a few hunts. You’ll quickly realize which items you want to swap out sooner than later and which ones you can live with. Then every year after next year you can focus on upgrading maybe 1 item per year.

Every hunter has different preferences. Personally, my optics cost far more than all my other equipment combined. Even so, the top item on my acquisition list is a Meopta spotter.
That is a great idea. I know at some point my binoculars could be upgraded but I figured I have to get the other items first so I can actually go. I should have mentioned I do have a good scope and rings on the gun already. But as far as a tent for around $250, any recommendations? I never knew how little I knew until I looked into tents and sleeping bags.

Sleeping bag and pad would be at the top of the list.

Depending on when and where you'll hunt will drive the bag selection.

Pad, go kylimt or however you spell it. Insulated goes a long way when trying to stay warm. I use their big pad because I want to be able to roll over and not fall off the pad haha

For your bag you'll have to weigh the pros and cons of down vs synthetic and go from there. Places like REI have quality selection for bags.

Also, you could look for pad bag system's. Big Agnes has a system where the pad is basically the bottom insulation, so the bag has none on the bottom, all feathers on the top

**Edited for mobile spelling errors**

Last edited:
I see that you rifle hunt, so my suggestion on a tent/shelter upgrade is a alot more than $250. Back when I started I bought a great tent but waking up in the morning to boots that were frozen solid and trying to put them on was not fun. When I purchased a shelter that had a stove that took care of the issue and made life a lot more comfortable in the backcountry. I recommend Seek Outside. They set up easy and are durable.

Sleeping bag & tent,then heavier boots....IMHO

Never paid more than half price for a new bag or a tent. Deals can be found on Marmot,Sierra Design,NorthFace & Kelty bags. REI,Campmore...my Marmot was only $120 for a $400 down bag. Kelty syn.bag for $60.
Think I only paid $120 for my Kelty Gunnison tent too

Good thread. Do some research to determine options. Depending on where you live there could be good used gear. Jump on deals. I bought a 3 lb one man Big Agnus tent for $150 for this years hunting. Big savings.
I've been doing this for years but still find myself tweeking things. For example, teaming puffy pants with a very compressable sleeping bag to minimize bulk.
Yep...easy to blow alot of money.

Good thread. Do some research to determine options. Depending on where you live there could be good used gear. Jump on deals. I bought a 3 lb one man Big Agnus tent for $150 for this years hunting. Big savings.
I've been doing this for years but still find myself tweeking things. For example, teaming puffy pants with a very compressable sleeping bag to minimize bulk.
Yep...easy to blow alot of money.
Exactly! I'm not opposed to buying something expensive right away is its head and shoulders better than lower priced. But it gets crazy expensive when you do that for every item.

I see that you rifle hunt, so my suggestion on a tent/shelter upgrade is a alot more than $250. Back when I started I bought a great tent but waking up in the morning to boots that were frozen solid and trying to put them on was not fun. When I purchased a shelter that had a stove that took care of the issue and made life a lot more comfortable in the backcountry. I recommend Seek Outside. They set up easy and are durable.
I do like the idea of a stove. I know nothing about which tent to get to go with it but that seems like it would make the evenings a lot more enjoyable. This might be a dumb question, do you cook on your stove? Or do you still bring a jet boil or something along those lines?

Your kit is a great start. Lots of backpacking items are just comfort.

Absolute necessities that must be high end?

For me it's optics boots and a shelter... the rest is just comfort. If you can't walk because your feet hurt, you're done. If all your gear gets wet, or your tent folds up, you're done and it could be a serious situation.

Optics are very important for hunting. They must be clear but a guy with the best that can't spot game won't do as well compared to a guy with mediocre glass and a good eye. You got that covered anyway.

I've never had a rifle scope fail in 30+ years of hunting and I don't have high end scopes. $2-300 Leupolds. People spend stupid money on rifle scopes, imo. 95% of game is killed inside 300 yards.

If you plan on diving into backpack hunting, you'll end up with 2-3 sleeping bags. Early, mid and late season. I think I have 5 for some stupid reason. My go to bag is a 10deg marmot down, it works 90% of the time.

Sleeping pads have a 2-3 year life. Cheap or expensive don't spend a ton of time here. I like Nemo but there are lots of options.

Get a tent with a floor. If you go floorless almost everyone I know brings either a bivy or a tarp for the floor. Set one up in wet snow or in bad rain and everything inside ends up wet. They condensate terrible, and if you get one that sets up with trekker poles, think hard on that... you tear down camp everyday, bring poles or cut sticks. Some places I hunt have no sticks... Again bring a tent with a floor and poles. The weight savings for floorless is negligible. I have a couple floorless tents, and use them from time to time but I also have 5 or 6 tents. 95% of the time I use one with a floor. I would look at a 3 man tent (perfect for 2 guys)from Big Agnes or if solo look at Hilleberg tents. Expect to drop $500+. These tents will last 10+ years or more if you take care of them.

Good luck! Im heading out this weekend hopefully the typhoon stays to the south. Not taking a floorless tent either. 😀

Sleep bag and pad.

I got a new pad this year. Klymitt and was great.
My 20 year old sleep bag needs to be upgraded.

I have found that like @Hem upgrading some of my clothing (puffies, top and bottom) has allowed me to postpone upgrading my sleeping bag. I just got a new UL tent this year after more than a decade with older ones.

Like @Bambistew said, sleeping pads have a finite life, buy a nice one once, with a lifetime warranty, and then just send it back when it pops a hole. I'm on #4 after my initial big agnes purchase. And each one is a little better than the last.

However, do realize that nothing (or almost) is actually buy-once-cry-once. I've gotten 14 years out of my 0deg down bag, but it's starting to cool.

I'm all about that comfort, WALL TENT! and a heater. I still hunt the same tough to get to places I always have. I wont go back anytime soon, a good nights sleep is so important to keeping motivated.

Boots I agree, have a good pair. Your feet will appreciate it. a good bag is fine but what are you sleeping on? the pad is very important. BUT if you have a heater of some sort its not as big of a deal. I sleep on a thick ass air mattress cause I can and its great.

I get it tho, wall tents are not for everyone.

I will say tho ive been killing deer with a bushnell scope since I was 12. They were dead as they could be. Dont overthink it, otherwise you will talk yourself out of this game forever.

In my experience there is a point of diminishing return on gear. Somewhere in the 2/3 of the cost of the really crazy expensive stuff is where most stuff just gets fancier and a fraction lighter. If your goal of upgrading gear is weight then that can be an expensive game to play. If you goal is function and durability then that's a far saner game to be in. I prefer to buy good gear that is not the most expensive but is a little above the middle of the road. I'd love to get my whole kit down to the absolute minimum weight possible but I also know that by doing this I'll spend a ton of money and have gear that is not going to last for the long haul.

I'll echo what others have said about sleeping bags and pads though. A good bag is hard to beat. A warm pad is better than a light pad any day. If you want to save weight and be warm nothing beats a good old ensolite pad. Not going to be comfortable but you won't freeze either. I use an ensolite pad on top of an inflatable to get the comfort and the warmth without spending a fortune on a high end insulated blow up pad. Sure the ensolite pad is bulky but it weighs very little and the price can't be beat!

I'm all about that comfort, WALL TENT! and a heater. I still hunt the same tough to get to places I always have. I wont go back anytime soon, a good nights sleep is so important to keeping motivated.

Boots I agree, have a good pair. Your feet will appreciate it. a good bag is fine but what are you sleeping on? the pad is very important. BUT if you have a heater of some sort its not as big of a deal. I sleep on a thick ass air mattress cause I can and its great.

I get it tho, wall tents are not for everyone.

I will say tho ive been killing deer with a bushnell scope since I was 12. They were dead as they could be. Dont overthink it, otherwise you will talk yourself out of this game forever.
I have been eyeing a tipi style tent and heater. I have 2 concerns though, without a floor are you ever fighting bugs when it's warmer? And what do you do if it's raining or if you have to set up on snow? I live the idea of being able to get warm at night but definitely don't want my gear getting wet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back