Which Items are Worth Upgrading

In which case I'd rather have an espar heater on a thermostat so I don't have to dick around with a fire at 2am.

y6g5sx8vjVyoKtd2CxYkTxPGJ3rMMo6GKZWNkN1OmZviBSmya_64OwR7V4JE2YAeXPppqij0zmr6a4PM9AB-Ng_HvLDHVxo_XVIET6GUByr0Z9vBqESaUb1mXWNcFrDBEjCuAzh1XPPi8_9y5H4OqZEr5RVEhyVV_JqKZ1yghRAubJOeoKSBx3KmQbylYHnQcwAKzrDf8I3cCNgzwYLmHq7R5kNRmZT7l0MJ8ZdmUNhdm4VrAi2YtdlD9396BLBn8zKYSecl7ECgd5guBlVfVX6XDlNW6N1A7woWPxL_mPhOQye2Jx8M8-DWCcDTJgLVPfJ3chjRAkalIpjwiQpwjTunwZK52h_19p6QE3uoFagb62HqQMJ_BR0F_s8mzC8VadGBFyPVlP1a7SCwtiTvJp-XDq1qB4dv6oOwfnJI-iEsdMAoQpBYn5b3j2IrhfBNHLa6X6Y0FHyF8Umt_SJMxxZtSCziwnlJKW6nu71msO_8OPoTYTt0ovMWnEoJ9g4vDJLojyIdp1noGxkpdSG6OBniruOvmSj-ICYkUswJkc34t4Br0ywWsoGmf06beaYWxjNzORcnGGbO_V2JM0XLHHlTX2-PLUPjJYwy2toPJDp2V4IgAHS-D-7CX7Vb8UL8H3X6C7kju3SUM3_tybTmcukfTZWHe-RxK0_1SGQRNe-Guk22fONvk-RGLeKbGOSBikUe6MRIga4NVurtlx6X6vpX=w1620-h1080-no

EdDX3QgXO_MSljkZGjGUPHtofqMHpzIxBF1YA4TDgSSIX0N6EsTY6jlMd9NbhR-XZPCimS28Wgap_Wj2cxrtDiLkC4LhLweH1C_wasy_25YgtEoBz-V-FQ--ZJVip9mArrLxtN9lBwZChSzD0oSjhaYyIxd4UX6eng_KfhLJXYYsHiIzBH10SjI2IyAoUfZHsW2ydWQON7LWJYqoK6Oke3IxXPnTGty556us9ymOnc-BwKQAM52AVbcwjoAfa93X-pMI5LJGrJXwCml1OHkvlw5-Zc9bUbgpZsIRJe37OiEWDC8yAwCTInc8ce2U4HgARu7z-e9NceAvtAQk2gprWX7H5krUdqqcv5uCoOYmnhy2tZZeIei70eHKLk0qEIul1uxR43u3daSvhICtp-M3zMvRnyaw7QB1QaxHAlSWQA_wQYfAj3mq65YzB2PnEOk5Aa24uMBk6UfzzzuQGGWtboTzDhHsBxsgfr3-aD4IbJWNbbh1meLTzcNqetr6_uak4pYgPZp7h3p4bbU4QaW0EfbShMFic1vDKv_h5nS8Vh_CyxV6KotV_kl3Bs8E5RV0kwnyjRklrOSULPoTkIXgChGABAPak_Z--uJRMBQUjTL9KdpeVR4tjsW8lcsVq6ABP_pwqbdOAiRV1tivP1RnhG9QwtIKsP_xbu3UDDCRrkyjZ_LIkpPLDd61HBLCMd-h6iRIIVytwEd6ccKGXrmVdO3_=w1620-h1080-no

You had me all excited that I could add one of those to my teardrop. $1,200...

I have been eyeing a tipi style tent and heater. I have 2 concerns though, without a floor are you ever fighting bugs when it's warmer? And what do you do if it's raining or if you have to set up on snow? I live the idea of being able to get warm at night but definitely don't want my gear getting wet.
Been using one for several seasons in all types of weather and never had an issue. Archery season I use just a tarp for my shelter. I mentioned the hot tent option because "for me" it was a game changer at a bit over 5lbs with stove it is worth the little extra weight. Goes up fast and packs small. Others have there own preferences and that is fine.

Been using one for several seasons in all types of weather and never had an issue. Archery season I use just a tarp for my shelter. I mentioned the hot tent option because "for me" it was a game changer at a bit over 5lbs with stove it is worth the little extra weight. Goes up fast and packs small. Others have there own preferences and that is fine.
This topic comes up a lot we’re just taking the piss.

Gosh during college after most summers I got so accustomed to tents and the ground it took me weeks to sleep well in a bed again once school started

Now I can barely sleep in a king bed let alone a tent, sleep is one of my biggest difficulties while hunting. that and solo lonely induced backcountry anxiety which seems to be a new thing

Hmm that Colorado stinky green is sounding like an interesting idea 🤔

With every gear question there is a 99% chance the most common response is to buy one of the most expensive options and "buy once, cry once". Which i totally get. My question is what are the absolute necessities that need to be high end? I'd love to go buy top of the line everything to do with back pack hunting but it's just not feasible to do in one year. Next year will be my first year truly back pack hunting. I'm mainly focused on big ticket items here and don't really have a concrete budget, just not looking to spend like a fool either. Currently I have a mystery ranch sawtooth pack, lowa renegade boots, a tikka 300 win Mag, 8x42 Athlon Ares binoculars as well as an Ares spotter. I know I still need a tent and sleeping bag among other things. Where should I focus my money and where are some areas that can get me by for the time being? Hopefully my question makes sense and thanks for any input!
A good tent definitely! That’s what I currently need have been looking at the stone glacier Skycrapper 2p looks like good quality and very lightweight for a four season tent. I just got a NeoAir Uberlite therm a rest sleep pad from offer up for $80 almost brand new the guy had only used once or twice. Definitely check the classifieds or some of the apps where you buy and sell stuff you can always get some good deals. Got the ZODIAC PLUS GTX for 80 as well 3 months ago totally brand brand new.

@wllm1313 just got back from a little foray for a Billy with a couple friends.

3 nights in the teens and all I could dream about was a hot stove while I lay shivering in a down coffin... but the days were plenty warm so no real fires.

Currently saving for some feathered friends upgrades.
Short nights in September I’ll sleep in a backpacking tent all day long. But a wall tent with a hot stove, cold beer, and tacos is the best morale booster I know of when there’s 14 hours of darkness in November. I’ll gladly get up an hour or two earlier and hike in the dark for that.

Short nights in September I’ll sleep in a backpacking tent all day long. But a wall tent with a hot stove, cold beer, and tacos is the best morale booster I know of when there’s 14 hours of darkness in November. I’ll gladly get up an hour or two earlier and hike in the dark for that.
I get where the masshole is coming from, he's not there to have fun, he's 100% type 2 fun. Sometimes, I need to actually have fun and not just suffer

What season do you plan to hunt? The ideal gear doesn’t stay the same from Sept through Nov.

Weight matters and if you add a couple pounds in your sleep setup, a couple pounds in your shelter, a couple in your cook setup, extra emergency supplies, some extra food, plus some extra hunting gear your pack, extra clothes you will be packing a heavy load. Ounces add up.

I would look at sleep and tent setup closely, but as I mentioned, I think the preferred system might change a bit with weather.

In which case I'd rather have an espar heater on a thermostat so I don't have to dick around with a fire at 2am.
SMFH,,,

William clearly has not experienced the mystique of stoking a wood stove while drinking whiskey for a few of the 14.5 hours of darkness in the late fall and winter. Plus, he’s clearly not old enough to have to get up and piss a couple of times, which makes a prime opportunity to stoke the fire.

Personally, I believe that waking up at 2 am and debating for 20 minutes between whether you actually need to pee or not, then accepting the inevitable, peeing, then making a ton of noise with the zipper getting back in, then burning your hand on the door handle of the fancy shmancy titanium stove door, shoving a piece of wood that I definitely should have split in half earlier, doesn't allow the door to close, then pulling it out, then restoking the fire with smaller wood, then $*)Q!#@$ up the tilt of the stove in the hubbub and filling the tipi with smoke, cursing a lot to make sure that everyone is completely awake, and then sending everyone into coughing fits from smoke inhalation, is the spice of life.20210220_095205.jpg20210220_102549.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back