Which Caliber?

RugerHawg413

I am looking at buying a new rifle and the two that I have come down to are 6.5 creedmoor and .308 Win. I will be using it to hunt whitetail, elk, and pronghorn. With shots out to 600 yards. Thanks for all the info!

If your considering the 308 win for out to 600 yards, I'd go with the 30-06. The 308 win and 30-06 are basically equal out to about 200 yards give or take. The 30-06 out performs at longer distances and there isn't to much you can't shoot with a 165 grain. I'm no expert and I usually don't attempt to shoot that far on game animals. But, that would be my choice.

If you are insisting on 600y and those two options then 6.5cm out performs at the far end due to better BCs.

But first you should consider a shorter max, especially if you are a newer/newish hunter.

And if you insist on 600y I would rather have any one of 270Win, 270WSM, 7mm08, 280Rem, 280AI, 7mmRemMag, 300WSM or 300WinMage over your two preferences.

If you are insisting on 600y and those two options then 6.5cm out performs at the far end due to better BCs.

But first you should consider a shorter max, especially if you are a newer/newish hunter.

And if you insist on 600y I would rather have any one of 270Win, 270WSM, 7mm08, 280Rem, 280AI, 7mmRemMag, 300WSM or 300WinMage over your two preferences.
I agree, 600 yards is a little to far, more like 400 yards (at tops) is about right. I have a 7mmRemMag and I love it. Thanks for the info!

I agree, 600 yards is a little to far, more like 400 yards (at tops) is about right. I have a 7mmRemMag and I love it. Thanks for the info!
At 400y any of 260Rem, 6.5cm, .270, 7mm08 or 280Rem will be great non-magnum options to add to you arsenal and all will work with proper shot placement and a quality big game bullet. 280AI, 270WSM and 300WSM are probably too close to your 7RM to make a change worthwhile (unless you just want a new gun).

You already have the answer to Elk at a distance with your 7mm rem mag. Use it and the 6.5 if you have a manbun LOL for deer and antelope. All kidding aside I'd say use the 7mm for elk sure the others will kill an elk as many have proved. I just believe all things considered you already have the better elk rifle. If you want a short action light weight rifle the split the difference and go with the 7-08.

I trust this guy's advise... I'm not admitting that my opinion in the above comment is incorrect, because I still stand by it. Just that this guy knows his guns. (y)

I grew up shooting a 270 and have killed antelope, deer, elk and moose with it just fine. I have never used the 30-06, but I like the idea it over the 270 for an all purpose caliber, because of the wider selection of bullet weights in factory ammo. That said, I just got my son a 7mm-08 for his first big game rifle, haha.

Since you have the 7mag I’d go with the 6.5 creed. I have a .30-06 and went through the same process in wanting a lower recoil, short action, lighter rifle. The .30-06 is the superior .30 caliber between that and the .308 so that ruled that out. If it was 10 years ago I would have had to choose between the .260 rem or 7mm-08. Since I don’t reload I went with a 6.5 cm.

If you know you’re elk hunting you will probably take the 7 mag over either a .308 or 6.5 cm. If you’re deer hunting but come across an elk carrying the 6.5 cm and you’re inside reasonable distances of 300-400 yards then you can still make a shot and the difference (at least on paper statistics) is negligible. I’ve noticed it also depends on age. I’m 32 and I think the 6.5 cm is on track to be the .30-06 of mine and younger generations.

27 Nosler. Tough to find loads or Ammo right now but that gun will be awesome
I am sure it will be cool for the right shooter, but for the un-initiated, the Nosler cartridges are chasing just behind the ultramags so be prepared for the cost and recoil associated with playing with the big boys.

I grew up shooting a 270 and have killed antelope, deer, elk and moose with it just fine. I have never used the 30-06, but I like the idea it over the 270 for an all purpose caliber, because of the wider selection of bullet weights in factory ammo. That said, I just got my son a 7mm-08 for his first big game rifle, haha.
Dang, I posted on the wrong thread, haha

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back