Which Caliber for Elk

USAF Ret

I have a chance, Lord willing, to do a disabled veteran elk hunt in WY this year. I have some issues with recoil due to disabilities. I have a Ruger No.1 in 270, but I can only shoot reduced recoil loads. I also have a 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor and several 308s. All have muzzle brakes, so I can shoot them pretty well. What do you think about calibers and bullet selection? Right now I am working up loads for the 308 with a 165 grain Accubond. I know Barnes bullets are a go to as well.

I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is on the edge of being too light, but I would really keep any shots to 300 yards. I know there are a lot of 7mm-08 fans. Arsenal below...

308 - CVA Cascade, Christensen Mesa, SIG Cross. The CVA is the most accurate out of those.
7mm-08 - CVA Cascade
6.5 Creedmoor - CVA Cascade
270 Win - Ruger No. 1, HOWA 1500 (Sent back to factory. Could not shoot under 5" groups)

Yes, I like my Cascades. They are tack drivers.

As usual, shoot what you have that you shoot well...you know more about you broken body than we do.
Well, I am really good with a 6.5 Grendel and the recoil is very manageable, but that might not be a good choice.

I would go 308. Going off their websites the Sig and the CVA are both short barrels and going to rob velocity. The Mesa will be your best option with a 22”. You should be able to find a load that the Mesa liked with either the 165 accubonds or 168TTSXs somewhere around 2800fps mv.

If recoil is still and issue try the 130ttsx. I shoot the 130s with a max load of CFE223 and am right at 3200fps out of a 22” barrel. Very mild recoil and my rifle doesn’t have a brake. A lot of people are going to say the 130s are to light for elk but if your limiting yourself to 300yds they’ll do just fine.

Matt

a 165 gr. .308 dia accubond bullet has worked great on elk, with most harvested under 200 yards and as close as 35 yards. I think the meateater gang at one point did a video (on youtube dated October 7 2022) to compare cup core, copper, and hybrid/bonded bullets at different ranges.

I would go 308. Going off their websites the Sig and the CVA are both short barrels and going to rob velocity. The Mesa will be your best option with a 22”. You should be able to find a load that the Mesa liked with either the 165 accubonds or 168TTSXs somewhere around 2800fps mv.

If recoil is still and issue try the 130ttsx. I shoot the 130s with a max load of CFE223 and am right at 3200fps out of a 22” barrel. Very mild recoil and my rifle doesn’t have a brake. A lot of people are going to say the 130s are to light for elk but if your limiting yourself to 300yds they’ll do just fine.

Matt
Thanks Matt. CVA is actually the long barrel. It is 22". I have not loaded the CFE223. I am using Varget at the moment. I do have some 168 grain TTSX in the pile as well. I like the idea of the 130 grain. I may buy a box and do some testing.

First, thank you for serving your country. I’d say go with the .308 with any of the bullets recommended above. Hope to see pictures of your hunt and the elk you kill.
Thank you. Between my wife's health and mine, it is looking slim, but still hoping and preparing. Was told if I could, they are going to do an elk and pronghorn hunt for me.

a 165 gr. .308 dia accubond bullet has worked great on elk, with most harvested under 200 yards and as close as 35 yards. I think the meateater gang at one point did a video (on youtube dated October 7 2022) to compare cup core, copper, and hybrid/bonded bullets at different ranges.
I will look up that video. Thank you.

I reckon 308 it is. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Will be looking at some of the lower grain Barnes bullets as well. Time to do some accuracy testing. I can say, the CVA eats up Norma Whitetail with sub-MOA groups. Hoping I can do that with my handloads.

Hammer bullets has a Veterans discount. mtmuley
I actually had a buddy send me a box of those. I have had trouble trying to get load data from their site. Someone said they were having site problems. Thank you.

Back