Which ATV?

BHR,

Are you planning a weekend of ATV fun with your two new hunting buddies...Cheese and Ten Beers?

Please, dont bring the video tape back, I dont want to see you eating cheese and swilling old milwaukee from Ten Beers tap...

Get the Polaris Paul, they come standard with wire cutters for those pesky fences.

The beauty of an ATV set against a mountain glade is truly breathtaking. I personally really like the scene of one rolling down a cliff cause the operator believed it could go anywhere!

You should try the Kazuma Mini 50! My 3yr. really loves his!! Tank a gas lasts ya the summer too! :)

4wheeler.jpg

Calif. Hunter said:
"The 350 I can carry my gun on my lap and stear with one hand."

Where do you put your beer? Do you have one of those hats with the straws? ;) :D

Actually the beer foams up too much so I use Rum and Cokes with my drinking hat. Sometimes if its sunny I'll fill er up with BahamaMamas.

Just be sure not to get the Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 Camo with the Automatic and Engine brake. Loudest piece of crap.................. John

Polaris has a widely diversified new line-up for 06.

The Dubya Edition: It's extremely expensive price is offset by special financial perks. It offers an Instant Tax Break and payments are deferred til Nov. 2008. The owners manual is actually a modified version of "My Pet Goat".

The Cheney 600cc: Comes with a first aid & field sobriety kit.

The Teddy 400cc: Offers a bitch seat, a full bar, and flotation devices.

The John Kerry 50cc: Comes in one gear (reverse) and offers a full time remote video cam with a wireless uplink to the mainstream media for those 'can't miss' photo opportunities.

The Hillary Quadrunner: It's exhaust note is tuned to a shrill high pitched whine, it also offers the added security device that immediately emasculates any unauthorized male rider.

Just to weigh in
Several years back some bright young ATVers were tearing up a public hunting area and one got stuck. they waved me over and asked if I would pull the Kawasucki out with my pick up. long story short, the kawasuki did not pass the rufus 'pull behind the truck @ 60 mph test' very well ;)

Damn! I come back from working the MT FNAWS fundraiser this weekend to find out that Miller and Cali's thread kicked my butt. You ATV bashers really let me down. Guess your all a bunch of closet ATVer's like Jose!

How was the turn out in Missoula?

To tell the truth, an ATV where I live would be real handy and lots of fun. I could be on Forest Service land in just a couple minutes. A snow plow attachment would come in handy too. Havn't quite got to the point of pulling the trigger though.

i have a pair of Kawasaki 360's not bad for putting around i do not hunt from them just use them for retrival. kind of takes the sport out of it if you're to lazy to walk.

TBone,

Turn out for the day to see the outfitter booths and seminars was poor....weather may have played a roll. Banquet was outstanding and will likely break all records for fundraising for us. The hunts sold very well. Alaska Dall Sheep hunt went for $10,500!

To be honest, there is a zero percent chance that I would ever buy a quad. I hate them! Just trying to stir the pot with this thread, in case you haven't already figured it out yet. There is a good chance that I may buy a sled in the years to come. I've only used rentals to this date, and would have to say Skidoo would be my first choice at this point in time.

I don't mind guys that use quads ethically and legally. The abuse, which seems to be more and more common, is what really makes me angry.

I met a guy last weekend that had a good ATV story. He was elk hunting in Colorado. Him and a buddy both had an elk down right near each other, a bull and a cow, where there were not supposed to be any ATVs. He called the game warden and said, "I'm not saying anybody did anything, but what would be the fine for an ATV to retrieve and elk where there were not supposed to be any ATVs?" The game warden said, $50.

He said, "You want to come get my $50 now? We've got two elk down, here is where we are at. We are going to haul them out."

It was worth it to him. I don't know if he got the fine or not, I can see it would be worth $50, that's cheap, compared to carrying two elk out himself or compared to getting a horse from somewhere in there to make the trips out. Comments?

BHR, I almost missed this one. I prefer the Polaris, but that what ever you buy you should keep the cc's lower than 500. Everything else is just mud slinging, gas guzzling trouble. I use mine to haul in hunting camps, and haul out my game. Helmets are a must, and don't plan on shooting from it. It's a tool, same as the trucks these other atv-ophobics use. Polaris is firat in my book. 1-Polaris, 2-Honda, 3-AC or Yamaha, and with the others you just keep walking.

Thanks Tom and Ten for weighing in. Tom my comment would be that the fine should include confiscation of the ATV. That might put an end to that crap. Otherwise those idiots are just pounding another nail in their own coffin. What do you think Ten? Are these idiots ruining it perminently for ethical riders like you?

Is the contest still going? If so I smell a come from behind victory!

Locally I've heard from the wardens at the breakfasts that if they used the ATV to haul out game, the wardens have been taking the game and the ATV. I guess the low fines are just for going in the closed areas, but if they used the ATV to haul out a critter that critter becomes illegal too, and then they idiots get fine for the animal too.

Mine is a tool. If I can ride my camp in another 2-10 miles from the truck, set up and hunt from there. I'm well beyond most of the 1/4 - 1/2 mile ground pounding whiners. Last year I ran into numerous ATV riders that didn't/weren't hunting at all. I think the number of people riding for recreation is growing faster than the number of hunters that use ATVs.

Tom, your story reminded me of this last year's elk hunt. I was hunting on National Forest, and there was one particular ridge I wanted to hunt that I knew for a fact had lots of elk and no other hunters. There were two ways into this area. From the north you could park at the end of a forest service road and walk about a mile with a drop of around 2000 feet in elevation. Obviously packing an elk out from that direction was possible but far from easy. From the south there was a road that came within about a half mile of where I wanted to be, but only problem is the road was gated about 5 miles back. And here's the humorous part...the gate was posted "no motorized vehicles/$100 fine." Only $100??? :confused: For the low price of $100 I could take an ATV around that gate and ride right into some of the best elk hunting this state has to offer.
And I didn't bring my ATV on this trip! |oo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back