Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Which ATV?

BigHornRam

Face it, I'm not getting any younger so I was thinking about breaking down a getting one for elk hunting. Which brand of ATV is best? Which brand has the most available accesories?

And I know there are couple people on this site that don't like ATVs. Could you remind me again why you don't like them. Thanks!

I think Arctic Cat has a big selection of accesories for their line of ATV's. I've got a Yamaha Kodiac 450 wich I really like it. It is water cooled and everything is really accesible. I think they had everyone beat on price when I researched getting one. Had 2 Yamahas in the past 5 yrs but sold the old one and I've never had a problem with them

OK BHR, you helped me so I'll help you.
Yamaha grizzly.
I don't know about hunting on one, but I'll tell you whats fun.
Four or five guys with ATVs, five or six cases of beer, and a camcorder.
It helps if some of the guys are former motocross racers.
Helmets ARE mandatory.

Kind of depends Paul...if your looking for something primarily intended to channel up and down waterways then the mounting of the engine, ground clearance, exhaust system, etc., should be your number one concern.

On the otherhand, if tearing up and down hillsides and coursing your way across unmarked/uncharted grounds, then I would think optimal suspension and handling might be what your looking for.

Finally, if getting behind/through locked gates or fences is an issue, you might look for something that has more load carrying capabiltiy for carrying things lke bolt cutters, chainsaws, etc., and also a quick throttle response for tossing on the gas when passing by those who might be packing out their games sans tires!

Grrrreat Topic!!.......and that will be $5 please

I have two polarises, one yamaha, and 4 hondas on the ranch. From now on everything will be polaris. For a long day they are the easiest on your back and kidneys. They perform well and they are a durable bike. Currently I have a 500 and a 700. For hunting I use the 500 and it has more than enough power, a lot better fuel economy, and there are so many accessories for them it will make your head spin. Just my 2 cents.

Oh ya, this is my first post. Looks like a great site.

Smithy,

Sounds like you are partial to Polaris. Do you think I should buy one? Indy sounds like he is fond of Artic Craps. Which one do you think is a better ATV?

I am fond of Polaris but I have never had a cat. Rode some cat snow machines but I know nothing about their quads. In our area there are about 20-1 polaris owners compared to cats. I torture our bikes on the ranch and the polaris has held up.

I think polaris and cats are made almost alike. They are both similar to the snow wachines, therefore there is a issue with burning up a belt or two. On my 500 I have about 22000 miles and have only replaced the belt once and change the oil. The belts are easy to replace and they sale a lifetime belt for them, that is what I put in the 500. I think they are all good bikes and it comes to personal preference, like ford, chevy, and maybe dodge.

BHR,

I've got a lil 350 4x4 Honda ES, that does the job nicely. The problem is actually using it. Sometimes I take it fishing, and its dandy riding around looking for moose sheds.

As for hunting with it, dude it gets moose out real nicely. I pulled a friends buck out of some nasty chit last year. I've also used it to carry and pull a trailer full of 2 weeks hunting gear 45 km's into the mountains.

Blah, blah, blah, If I was to buy another quad one day it would be a Honda 350 for sure. It's real easy to stear, and is like a skidder through the trees, it's fuggin hard to get er stuck. The bigger Hondas are'nt as good on gas and harder to stear. The 350 I can carry my gun on my lap and stear with one hand.

i811490sq04.jpg

Here's my ATV. They work pretty well, and are very quiet. I might be upgrading this year, though.

BHR,

Great question. I'm a firm believer than an ATV will make you a better hunter. You can access all kinds of roads and trails whether legal or not. I've been giving your same question a lot of thought over the last 6 months. I've looked and test driven Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris. This is what I've settled on. Troybuilt!

100_6091.jpg

Maybe I ought to upgrade from the solid axle to the indepent suspension, as it begins to chaffe after a bit.

From my experience, good law abiding hunters often become illiterate, law breaking dumbasses when they get on an ATV.

Good one Tyson. I can just see your wife shaking her head. "Hey honey, could you take a picture of me sitting on the rotor-tiller, need it for the board". hahaha... :D :D

I'd recommend a small Honda 4trax, with the 300cc engine. I inherited one and although it doesn't get much use, it's really a good little machine. It runs like a top and I've abused the hell out of it ripping trails through the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. :D No need for those monster quads. If they tip over on you your squashed. Mine only separted my shoulder.

Polaris 600 sportsman. Thats what I have hear in A.Z..(and love it!!!) But if I was going to by a new one tomarrow it would be a polaris Ranger or a 800 efi sportsman. elkay

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back