PEAX Equipment

Where to start building points

Hello everyone,
I have never been on an elk hunt and want to start building points to go on a good rifle hunt. From the research I’ve done on go hunt, it looks like you can obtain a decent tag in Wyoming with around 3-6 points for a general, or 7-10 on a limited. I would like to start building points in Colorado also, but it’s a pretty penny now. Would Wyoming be a good start?

Start elk hunting colorado with otc tags and get a point every year. I just put in for a point 1st choice then otc tag 2md choice. You will learn a lot about elk hunting before you go and get that better tag. The time in the field will be much more valuable than any gear you can buy.

Start elk hunting colorado with otc tags and get a point every year. I just put in for a point 1st choice then otc tag 2md choice. You will learn a lot about elk hunting before you go and get that better tag. The time in the field will be much more valuable than any gear you can buy.
Do you still have to pay the 100 for the preference point if you draw otc? Or does it automatically give you a point since you didn’t obtain your first choice?

You don't pay 100 for a point, you pay nearly 100 for a qualifying license in order to apply for the draw, which you do not get refunded. You don't need the qualifying license to just buy an OTC tag, so that is cheaper but you can't build points without entering the draw.

Colorado does not charge for a preference point for elk anymore. Get an OTC tag to start building experience. They also make you buy a qualifying license. Which for a non resident is a waste of money, unless you want to come here and hunt turkey, or small game.

Hello everyone,
I have never been on an elk hunt and want to start building points to go on a good rifle hunt. From the research I’ve done on go hunt, it looks like you can obtain a decent tag in Wyoming with around 3-6 points for a general, or 7-10 on a limited. I would like to start building points in Colorado also, but it’s a pretty penny now. Would Wyoming be a good start?

I think WY is a great place to start accumulating points, especially if your goal is a general tag. Keep in mind that those limited units that you can draw with 7-10 points now will likely require a lot more points to draw by the time you get 7-10 points.

There are ways to get more “mileage” out of your points, like the Special draw, areas with more private that might require trespass fees, or units with lots of wilderness that are off-limits to NR without a “guide.”

I currently have 9 (going on 10 this year) points. I’m currently right on the bubble in the Special draw for the unit I want, but it’s a unit with lots of wilderness and grizzlies. When I do draw I’m going to go outfitted. The units surrounding this one with more non wilderness public land are out of reach for my point range for the foreseeable future. After I draw this tag (hopefully in 2-3 years) I only plan to accumulate points towards a WY general tag.

It’s nice to be able to wait for a good limited tag, but I think it’s nicer to hunt more often. I don’t think I would have waited this long if it weren’t for the fact I am a MT resident and guaranteed a general tag here every year.

Colorado does not charge for a preference point for elk anymore. Get an OTC tag to start building experience. They also make you buy a qualifying license. Which for a non resident is a waste of money, unless you want to come here and hunt turkey, or small game.

Just in case you aren't aware. If you only buy an OTC tag you don't need the qualifying license. I don't understand the reasoning behind it but there you are.

Utah, Idaho, Alaska, New Mexico, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, California, Oklahoma etc etc all make you buy a hunting license to apply for the draw and or hunt big game as a NR. They are are around $100-$200

What’s up with the sniveling about Colorado?

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s up with the sniveling about Colorado?

Are you happy about being forced to buy a small game license before you can get a big game license? Yet, a NR can come here and buy an OTC license and not have to buy the small game license.

There are better ways to get more money than this. The DOW uses the excuse that they want everybody committed to contributing money. I've bought tags since the 50's. Haven't I contributed enough? This is how I get rewarded for my loyalty? Forced to buy a small game license that i'll never use. It's the principle of the whole thing that rubs me wrong. Just raise the license fees and i'll say nothing but raise them for everybody.

Are you happy about being forced to buy a small game license before you can get a big game license?

For those who use it, or we’re going to buy it later in the year. it is actually pretty nice. Although it makes no sense for a NR.

If you're going to buy it anyway it's ok. Not sure all big game hunters also hunt small game though. I don't mind spending the money but give me something I can use.

Are you happy about being forced to buy a small game license before you can get a big game license? Yet, a NR can come here and buy an OTC license and not have to buy the small game license.

There are better ways to get more money than this. The DOW uses the excuse that they want everybody committed to contributing money. I've bought tags since the 50's. Haven't I contributed enough? This is how I get rewarded for my loyalty? Forced to buy a small game license that i'll never use. It's the principle of the whole thing that rubs me wrong. Just raise the license fees and i'll say nothing but raise them for everybody.

Huh?

The requirement is the same for NR and R, if you apply in the draw you have to buy a either a small game or turkey license. You could just as easily get an OTC tag and not have to purchase a small game license or turkey license.

My point is that this is pretty common for all states, a base hunting license then your big game tag. Think about it this way, at least in CO you're getting the ability to hunt turkey's or small game. In many states your big game license doesn't allow you to hunting anything at all by itself.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back