Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Where to hunt wolves

Montanakid

Now that the deer/elk season is over here in Montana, I'm wondering if people are seeing a lot of wolves/wolf sign anywhere. Ideally SW MT cause I'm somewhat close to there compared to NW. Appreciate the info guys thanks!

Check out the FWP wolf website. I don't think they update their flight monitoring reports during hunting season, but the older ones will give you a good idea of what drainage held what. I spoke with the Missoula wolf coordinater last year and got some good information. She couldn't disclose exact locations, but helped with good starting points. She also had a lot of good information on wolf behavior and calling. I believe she told me that FEB and March were the best times to howl in a wolf as they are cruising more territory.

Keep in mind, these flights find collard wolves and whatever ones happen to be around that collard wolf, so their are a lot more wolves dispersed than what they report. I don't trust their distribution maps or total population estimates at all

The SouthWest area of MT holds huge numbers of wolves from what I have researched. If you are in the Bitterroot valley, I would say you could pick any drainage that has food in it and have a good chance of finding wolves.

Best of luck to you. .

With a few exceptions anywhere you find elk congregated for the winter is a good place to start. I've spotted wolves while hanging out glassing big herds of elk.

Crazy as it may seem, I only found one pack (so far) in the Root this year. I'm sure some will show up now that hunting season is behind us.

anywhere in the big hole valley/ wisdom area you should find some wolves. try talking to ranchers in the area, they should be more than happy to point you in the right direction. I worked on a ranch in the valley for several years, and we lost alot of cattle to the wolves, so thats where I would start looking

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back