Where to gain information on how to hunt Muleys on the prairie

Clam

Hi,

I have only hunted whitetails on a friends ranch, It is simple - sit, wait, bang, flop.

Anyway, he also showed me land that I can access that most always has muleys wandering around on it. I drove over, and sure enough, there they were, three of them, about a half mile away. The land has a spring but it is also pretty barren of any cover. It is wide open prairie. can anyone recommend any book’s, Randys video’s or anything to instruct me on how to get within range of these deer?

Keep the wind in your face and start walking. Block there view by walking toward trees or low areas. They raise there heads up stop and don't move till they relax again.

Hi,

I have only hunted whitetails on a friends ranch, It is simple - sit, wait, bang, flop.

Anyway, he also showed me land that I can access that most always has muleys wandering around on it. I drove over, and sure enough, there they were, three of them, about a half mile away. The land has a spring but it is also pretty barren of any cover. It is wide open prairie. can anyone recommend any book’s, Randys video’s or anything to instruct me on how to get within range of these deer?

If they are bedding in that area I’d wait for them to bed and play the wind creep up with in range sometimes you have to move slow and even crawl to get into position if they are just passing thru or feeding there Id figure out where they are coming in and out at set up and wait for them to come to me keeping the wind in mind

Nothing magical. Use topography when you can. Keep the wind in your face. Keep the sun at your back if you can. Go slow. If you spook them, you either screwed up the wind or went too fast. I've gotten within 30 yards of mule deer before without a stitch of cover. It took a couple of hours to cover 400 yards.

Great! Thank you for the replies!

I’ll be out that way next month and will do some scouting. Although I can walk for hours, my crawling days are probably over.

Generally I like low profile but if crawling is an issue, you may have to try different measures. If it’s cattle country, you could try one of those big cow decoys. Maybe a deer decoy would work too.
Another idea would be to watch the deer for a few days to get a clue where they bed and where they head. Get out in front and wait.

Does your friend or ranch hands drive around in a truck? They might be used to it. Get one of them to slow way down and you get out of the truck on the side away from the deer, then they ease off. Don’t load your rifle until you’re out of the truck.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back