Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Where should I move to in MT?

The downside of living here your whole life is that you have no vision about the path you are on if you don't change. I moved to Texas after college and (I love my friends there) but that place is <blanked>ed up from my perspective when it comes to managing for native fish and wildlife, hunting, and public lands. It made me appreciate even more what MT is/was and I've taken a more active role in protecting that which can be in conflict with 5th generation folks.

IIRC, sometime twenty or so years ago, when Montana and Gallatin County in particular began to realize a surge in growth. The Code of the West was first written about by the western author Zane Grey who pointed to an unspoken code for those moving to the West that basically involved an attitude of integrity, honor, and self reliance.
So basically UPOM, right? 😏

Curious OP if you are any closer to a decision. I went to med school in Grand Forks and recently completed my job search in MT and was looking for similar features. Ended up in Missoula partly because it was the best offer, but was close to choosing Lewistown. Smaller place (pop ~6000) but a hub for everywhere north and east of it. Grew up hunting around there and I miss it.

I should say not in OBGYN but in a specialty that's probably comparable in size and needs places big enough to employ

Well I wanted to bring this thread full circle. My wife has signed a contract with Helena OBGYN! We are very excited and wish we could move now. We will move in July 2023 once she has completed residency so if you know of any places coming for sale in that area let us know. If anyone has questions about how we got to this point from the original post don't hesitate to ask.

If you live in Helena and want to be friends please reach out! I'm excited for a short drive to visit Gerald Martin once we move.

Well I wanted to bring this thread full circle. My wife has signed a contract with Helena OBGYN! We are very excited and wish we could move now. We will move in July 2023 once she has completed residency so if you know of any places coming for sale in that area let us know. If anyone has questions about how we got to this point from the original post don't hesitate to ask.

If you live in Helena and want to be friends please reach out! I'm excited for a short drive to visit Gerald Martin once we move.
Congrats to both of you!

As a western transplant myself, welcome and congrats.

Congrats!! It ain’t Bozeman but it’s close.

Things will really come full circle when the next person asks where they should move to in Montana, and you reply “MT is full” 🤣

But in all seriousness, congrats!
Hahaha it'll definitely cross my mind.

Thank you! We have visited Helena several times and in conversation I would mention to locals we were planning to move there and thought they would be discouraging. To my surprise most were excited. They said the most important part is to contribute to the community and not just work remote and sit in your house. Looking forward to be a part of the community!

Background: My wife, myself and our two year old live in Omaha, NE where she is in year two of a four year OBGYN residency program (completion June 2023). We both grew up in ND, spent a couple years in both WA and AK. I’ve always wanted to live in MT for hunting, we both love the mountains for activities like snowboarding and lastly it allows us to be somewhat close to home to see family. The limiting factor for location is her job. Most smaller towns don’t have a dedicated OBGYN or you’d have to be on call most every night is my understanding. She would ideally like to live in a town of 15k or larger for those reasons, an ideal call ratio is 1:5-7. We have family in Helena and Butte so Helena is currently at the top of the list with Bozeman, Missoula and Sheridan (yes I know it’s in WY :) ) following. I’ve explored ideas like the Hamilton but I fear its too small. All that being said I have no experience with any of this, just basing this off of what I’ve read and what she has told me. I’d love to live in a smaller communityOur main goal is to find a community to invest ourselves in for decades to come and also have good work/life balance. Starting this month we will begin introducing ourselves to recruiters which may dictate a lot of this. We hope to have a plan by summer of 2022 to give us time to plan the move. I’ll update you all on what happens!

Question: Where in Montana should we look to move? Anyone have past experience with friends or family in a similar situation and can offer advice?

Thanks for any input and advice offered. I apologize for being another person looking to move to MT but I hope you understand our reasoning!
Honestly from one outof stater to another Mt has gotten very expensive unless you move east of Bozeman and Helena I have been gone for 20 years, but have a brother that lives in Belgrade. I would definatly consider WY Sheridan is great Cody would be a great choice as well. PLUS!! the hunting's better in the Cowboy State. Good Luck!

Broadus or Biddle... All kidding aside, I really like Bozeman area. I do quite a bit of fishing around Ft. Peck/Glasgow area.

Back