Where is all the ammo?

Is it safe to assume that the ammo manufacturers who don't produce their own primers, brass or bullets have first dibs on available supplies of these items leaving scraps for the reloaders?
Probably. That's why I got started 12 years ago. And I don't think I got started soon enough. mtmuley

Does anyone know why manufacturers do not just increase their prices to reflect market value (i.e. price gouge)? Is there some law preventing this? Anti-price gouging laws?? If the going rate of a box of shells is $60, and it cost $30 a year ago, it stands that the manufacturer could make a hefty profit while demand is up. And with high prices passed along to the retailer, the stuff would actually sit on the shelves available until a customer is ready to buy it.

As it stands, it appears that neither the manufacturer nor the retailer is profiting in the current scenario. Bubba the retail employee and Bubba’s 12 family and friends with an inside track buy the highest demand items before they hit the shelves and then resell for x2-x10 what they paid for it.

If push comes to shove I’ll buy ammo from Bubba’s friend in order to be able to shoot a little bit, but I’d much rather line the manufacturer’s pockets than Bubba’s circle.

Does anyone know why manufacturers do not just increase their prices to reflect market value (i.e. price gouge)? Is there some law preventing this? Anti-price gouging laws?? If the going rate of a box of shells is $60, and it cost $30 a year ago, it stands that the manufacturer could make a hefty profit while demand is up. And with high prices passed along to the retailer, the stuff would actually sit on the shelves available until a customer is ready to buy it.

As it stands, it appears that neither the manufacturer nor the retailer is profiting in the current scenario. Bubba the retail employee and Bubba’s 12 family and friends with an inside track buy the highest demand items before they hit the shelves and then resell for x2-x10 what they paid for it.

If push comes to shove I’ll buy ammo from Bubba’s friend in order to be able to shoot a little bit, but I’d much rather line the manufacturer’s pockets than Bubba’s circle.
Really ? Got any other good ideas to promote? They certainly could but I hope they don't. I do not think it does any of us any good to get priced out of our recreational habits. Maybe they are making profits now and are not just in for the greed. The speculators and bubba's are either really greedy and or taking advantage of a situation. They might just be making money to buy more guns for themselves. Capitalism at its finest.
I personally do not plan to shoot as much this year and with the end of hunting seasons and the increased cold weather, maybe the demand will slow a little and the supply chain can make some gains, if they are not all bought up by hoarders. You buy whatever you want at whatever rate you decide you can afford to pay.

Is it safe to assume that the ammo manufacturers who don't produce their own primers, brass or bullets have first dibs on available supplies of these items leaving scraps for the reloaders?

No. Reloaders pay a lot more than the ammo manufacturers.

Last edited:
No. Reloaders pay a lot more than the ammo manufacturers
I often wonder about this from an economic viewpoint.
Individual buyers are one factor, the principle buyers are those who purchase en masse. Ammunition manufacturers discount v individual retail buyers.
I believe the strong firearm U.S. culture is likely a leading country, per capita for individual ammo. Considering that - global perspective, I would believe the manufacturers (direct clients) likely hold account / first dibs on materials.
I could be wrong though...

Really ? Got any other good ideas to promote? They certainly could but I hope they don't. I do not think it does any of us any good to get priced out of our recreational habits. Maybe they are making profits now and are not just in for the greed. The speculators and bubba's are either really greedy and or taking advantage of a situation. They might just be making money to buy more guns for themselves. Capitalism at its finest.
I personally do not plan to shoot as much this year and with the end of hunting seasons and the increased cold weather, maybe the demand will slow a little and the supply chain can make some gains, if they are not all bought up by hoarders. You buy whatever you want at whatever rate you decide you can afford to pay.
I mean... it would eliminate hoarding, I think there is a strong argument to be made for allowing retailers to sale at market rate.

Now, I'm not saying they should, just that I definitely understand the argument.

I often wonder about this from an economic viewpoint.
Individual buyers are one factor, the principle buyers are those who purchase en masse. Ammunition manufacturers discount v individual retail buyers.
I believe the strong firearm U.S. culture is likely a leading country, per capita for individual ammo. Considering that - global perspective, I would believe the manufacturers (direct clients) likely hold account / first dibs on materials.
I could be wrong though...
I compare them going through the headache of selling individual components to the reloading market to picking fly sh*t out of pepper. It makes a whole lot more sense for the components to go to full-time, volume ammo manufacturing, than it does to the reloading market, even though the retail component market has higher margin. It just doesn't compete with the scale, efficiency, and overall profitability for the manufacturers.

One way to help out the mania is to go through your inventory, and really think about what you have, what you want, and what you can afford to move along. Then, by all means, help out a friend, give stuff away, sell locally and if you want, or list for auction. There is a panic element to all this shortage but also just an imbalance of supply/demand where needed. For example, I am offloading a good quantity of factory ammo in various calibers, some bullets, some guns, some accessories and also buying some bullets, guns, powder, ammo, and reloading dies. Not to hoard but to use. In the end, my inventory is getting tuned up to EXACTLY what I need, and fewer extraneous things taking up space and locking up value. If everyone moved some of their inventory where it was needed, it might sooth the pain and quicken the end of this insanity. So look within... how much of your stash is needed -vs- hoarded and then consider your next move for the good of your neighbors, your storage space, and lastly, maybe even your wallet.

That said - anyone have any unneeded 45/70 brass or .458 hornady 350 grain flat point interlocks laying around taking up space? LOL.

the retail shelves are very bare of everything in coastal SC. rifle, shotgun and pistol ammo is almost non-existent at any big box or sporting goods store. I scored 250 round of Winchester JHP 147 grain for my 9mm online last week and felt like i hit the jackpot.

I'm pretty well stocked for my 9mm and my 12 gauges. need ammo for my new Savage .308 though and the pickings are SLIM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back