MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Where do you draw the line?

Lawnboy

After reading everyone's ideas on what to try and film I have a question to ask. It seems that Randy is trying to promote hunting on public/accessible lands and showing that anybody can do it. With that said some of you suggested horse hunts or Alaska or even back east. Others replied well we don't have horses ect...... So where do you want the line drawn as too what is a doable hunt an OYO hunt?

For me some peoples responses are way too nit picky, saying "well I couldn't do that because I don't have the means." Well my thoughts are that not everyone could afford to even put gas in their trucks to head out or maybe you don't have a 4-wheeler to use to get down the trail (legal of course)or horses ect..... Does this mean that we can't film those kind of hunts? I think it ridiculous to try and please everyone. We are all in different stages financially and physically for that matter. I couldn't afford to head out east to hunt whitetails but that doesn't mean that it isn't doable. I could save my money and plan for that trip. The same goes for owning a 4 wheeler, horses or a super cub for that matter.

I bring this all up in hopes that we all don't over analyze every detail and try to pick it apart as to whether it's a doable OYO hunt. I think the focus should be on the accessible lands that we could hunt and doing it unguided. Maybe that requires saving money for a plane trip or horse rentals, gas for vehicles or whatever it may be. Not every hunt is just walk out your back door and shoot a deer. Most hunts require a bit of money, time and effort and in this usually a rewarding OYO experience.

What are your thoughts?

I understand where you are coming from on this issue. One of the first hurdles most first timers come up against is just reading a Hunting Schedule from out west. Back in the east we just buy it and go hunting. A short lesson during one of the shows could encourage a hunter to try it or maybe it might answer a gray area he has about getting a tag. If you do a hunt where you can use an ATV, explain to everyone how that ATV can and cannot be used in that state. John

I think a good mix would be nice. What I mean is I'd love to see a hunt with the cheapest of gear (ie. army camo from the surplus store, $10 bino's, a tarp for a tent, tennis shoes, a can of nalley chili for food, the good old satalite broadheads etc.) and I'd love to see an Alaska hunt with the best gear and a chartered plane ride to a nice public spot....
With that said, I would suspect the majority do it yourselfers would more likely be able to do the less expensive option yet, still dream about the other.

Last edited:
LB, think its less nit picking, and more a question/concern about logistics for some of us. guess the question is, what audience are you trying to get thru to? the folks that live out west, and can "walk out their backdoor", or the folks back east who want to put together a quality hunt? think thats why you see so many on here saying a show about the "process" of doing a hunt like this. back here, east of the mississippi, we buy a tag for the county we want to hunt, pay the fee, and go hunt that county. for us, reading your stuff out there, is like reading greek. have looked thru the wyoming sources section many times. and have asked others for help. won't mention names, but two members stepped up and answered my questions. and it was greatly appreciated.

agree that watching a WT episode that has a hunter in a treestand has been done to death. but, thats the way its done back here for the most part. same with the foodplots that you westerners don't like. but how is doing all the work of planting a foodplot any less a DIY hunt than going out and stalking thru the woods? or sitting at a water source for antelope?

liked the shows that were on last year. but how many times can you do a show on elk, antelope, or whatever it is before it starts getting old, also? again, what audience are you looking to maintain? the ones who can do those hunts every year?(westerners), or the ones who want to do it/try it at least once?(easterners)

planning on coming out and doing an antelope hunt in the next year or so in wyoming. be the north eastern part of the state. they have OTC tags every year it seems. not looking for anything that will make the record books. just a hunt that I can do in the 5 days that I will have for it. for some of us, thats about as good as it will get. mainly, because of the travel time involved. and the cost of getting the equipment that I will use only on this hunt. spotting scope, good binoculars, rifle(?), etc. I ever get out there to do an alk hunt, then those things will already be taken care of. know you have to listen to your sponsors, but if you really want to show how anybody can do a hunt like this, a show about the "stuff" needed would be a great one. especially when many of us back here would have to buy a lot of the things to even do a hunt like this. maybe that should be explained to the sponsors?

TLC, Not trying to question the methods that people use but just hoping that we don't have a closed mind as to what a doable hunt is. No one person is going to be the same. I'd love to hunt Kansas whitetails or wild hogs down south and maybe someday I can. Definitely not an East vs. West thing. I would just hope that a show out East or in Alaska or one using horses or a 4 wheeler won't get people all worked up because they might not be able to do it right away. They are all places and methods that are achievable with time, money and planning. Hopefully Fin's hunts in the Midwest last year were fun to watch. I can remember him coming home and admitting what a challenge it is to do those whitetail hunts on public lands. He really got a taste of what you guys deal with and frankly that helped me understand where you're coming from as well.

Last edited:
I don't see how means of transportation whether horses, 4 wheeler, super cub etc would be an issue. They are just the means to get there and shouldn't affect the DIY/OYOA message.

I would be more concerned with the OYOA team filming hunts that are mostly OIL hunts or the premier limited draw units. I would fear that the average viewer would expect his hunt to be of that quality but does not realize that it was a OIL tag and most hunts are not like that. Example would be like a 4th season rut CO mule deer hunt. Hell throw in that its a migration hunt too. You're passing on bucks that normally would be shooters in an OTC unit. I think it might cloud the expectations of someone new to hunting the west etc.....

Westside for life :)

If you're promoting the experience as the important part and the kill as the icing on the cake, I don't think it should matter about whether you're using horses, ATV's, or just walking. The essence of the show is to film the experience available on public land. All other restraints shouldn't matter, IMO.
Part of the experience demonstrated in a show w/ horses or ATV's might include the ethical and safety aspect of using horses or ATV's on public land. I remember a pronghorn hunt last year where Big Fin was pretty miffed at some ATV riders for herding some antelope and spoiling his hunt. I had a similar experience last year where 2 horse hunters parked right beside my PU, unloaded their horses, and then rode over me on a 40 acre unit on a WMA, running every deer in the area out of there. I would have loved to see the conversation I had w/ those two "horsemen" on national TV...
I still have my tack and blaze orange panniers and britchin' from when I lived out west, had horses, and used them to hunt public land. So I can appreciate the use of horses for hunting. But they should be used courteously and ethically as should ATV's or anything else on public land. The land belongs to all of us, but please give people respect and plenty of room, don't you know...

Lawnboy,

Only the Big Fin can draw the line on whats acceptable and what is not....

Look at this spectrum, and tell me where you think the line is?

• Hire a guide and hunt private land.
  • Hire a guide and hunt public land.
  • Hire a outfitter and hunt private leased land
  • Hire an outfitter and be dropped at a drop camp with a tent set up on public land
  • Hire an outfitter to be dropped in a meadow you picked to hunt on public land
  • Rent some horses from the local Rent-a-Glue Donor business in Bumfugg, Wyo.
  • Hike in on your own boots...
  • Hike in on your own boots to private land that you got permission by knocking on doors

Alaska even gets more challenging where 80% of the hunts up there require you to hire an airplane or a boat as a transporter. I have hired transporters (sea and air) up there and been dropped in gorgeous locations with an abundance of game and considered it to be a DIY hunt.

Last edited:
Wyo and Bio I agree totally with what you have said. I don't think the means of transport should affect the quality or integrity of the OYO experience. I wasn't trying to start a war as to who or what is better. Heck if someone wants to go guided then great. Fin's message seems to be one of encouragement to go ahead and try it on your own rather than sit at home wishing and hoping.
Heck I'll gladly hunt with Sweetnectar or Laying it Down on their land any time they invite me and not lose any sleep over it.:D

Jose, I realize that Fin is the only one who can draw the line. I just wanted to get a feel for what you guys thought was acceptable and achievable for a DIY hunt. I'll throw in my disclaimer now that I am in no way affiliated with OYO adventures and the the opinions expressed here are Lawnboy's and not that of OYO adventures.....:D That's just like you hear and see on the commercials:)

Line.... what line? I think it is pretty clear what Big Fin is trying to do. Produce a quality hunting program that focuses on hunts that anyone can do if they put their mind to it. As long as it is a tag that is purchased or drawn by normal channel's (not a purchaed governors's or super tag) and the hunt is carried out on "accesible land" I don't see a problem.

I definitely lean toward featuring some of the more "aggressive' types of OYOA....... I am lucky enough to live in Montana and enjoy "hunting out by back door", but have also done DIY hunts in Alaska 6 times. I don't get the east / west debate here. How would it be different for me to plan an Alaska hunt, than someone from back east. The only difference I can see is about an extra hour of plane rides.

I understand that much of Big Fin's potential audience lives east of the Mississipi, but a DIY hunt is a DIY hunt. Although I have a pretty good handle on the regs here in Montana, the Wyoming, Coloroado, Utah, Idaho etc... regs are just as foreign to me as any of you back east. I enjoy the elk, deer, antelope hunts as much as the rest of you, but would also like to see a mix of true "hard core" hunts as well. My average cost to hunt Alaska runs about $2000 -$2500 per trip and sometimes much less. I bet most of the people concerned that an "Alaska" hunt is too cost prohibitive and "out of reach" for most hunters would spend close to that on a western elk or deer hunt pretty easily. I don't think Fin should be expected to taylor his show to the part of his demographic with the least financial means. I don't make all that much $$.. and even if I have to save a couple years, I'll figure out a way to make my On Your Own Adventure happen.

I personally would love to see a DIY float trip in Alaska on the show. And don't be affraid to outline exactly what the costs are to show everyone, how attainable a trip like this could be. It certainly isn't cheap... but what about hunting is these days?

I also like the idea that was suggested earlier about picking an area.... buying every tag available... getting in there and seeing what happens.

Let's not forget the "ADVENTURE" part of the program.

Elkwhisper

Alaska even gets more challenging where 80% of the hunts up there require you to hire an airplane or a boat as a transporter. I have hired transporters (sea and air) up there and been dropped in gorgeous locations with an abundance of game and considered it to be a DIY hunt.

I agree.

I think you guys are worrying too much about trying to maintain what DIY is.

As a DIY hunter you would be a damn fool to not use the tools mentioned in the above posts if it is going to help you on your hunt. Same with gear, use the best that you can afford. That is what a DIY hunter does.

If you start to stray away from these things then I would start being worried about what is right/wrong.

I am along the line that the show represents what options are out there for the guy who wants to put together and plan his own adventure whatever that might be. To me this is the guy who like to take on the challenge of doing it himself. I don't believe it falls back on to if a guy can afford a guide or not.

Some states have more public land to do these type of hunts than others. There are some states that the public lands have roads every mile and it makes it tough to get away and hunt the way you want. Some states getting out of your vehicle and hiking is the only option you have. In some of the states with very little public land getting out and knocking on doors to find permission is a huge part to DIY type huting.

I think we need to remember that DIY hunts means something different to everyone and we can't forget that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back