MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Where do you draw the line on buying local?

perma

Some of you know I’m in process of modifying a rifle. One of those upgrades is a scope. I start looking at box stores and found Sportsman’s Warehouse has what I want. However, I like to try and buy from smaller businesses even if it’s a little extra. I’ve been to two different stores and they didnt have what I was looking for (Vortex Viper 50mm). They only had the cheaper Crossfire or Diamondback which I didn’t want. I’m probably going to SW tonight to pick it up with some rings.

It is what it is I guess.

Last edited:
meh, buy what you need from whoever has it.

i'm not so adamant about buying local that i'll also buy crap.

i'm a pretty predictable consumer. you'll find me at kroger, walmart, cabelas, red robin, and texas road house before most other places.

super good restaurants are how you'll typically find me buying local tho

meh, buy what you need from whoever has it.

i'm not so adamant about buying local that i'll also buy crap.

i'm a pretty predictable consumer. you'll find me at kroger, walmart, cabelas, red robin, and texas road house before most other places.

super good restaurants are how you'll typically find me buying local tho
I did give them an at bat first. Seems like smaller stores don’t really pack higher priced items. I didn’t bother really looking around for anything else but I recalled that one store only had about a 20’ rack of firearms from .22 to BMG to 12 ga. I guess it would be hard to sit on expensive inventory.

Which is more than most would. Kudos for recognizing small businesses tie communities together more than big boxes/online businesses.
Now that I think about it, one particular store did in fact have a shotgun that SW did not have that my dad ended up buying. So there’s the good side to that coin.

I did give them an at bat first. Seems like smaller stores don’t really pack higher priced items. I didn’t bother really looking around for anything else but I recalled that one store only had about a 20’ rack of firearms from .22 to BMG to 12 ga. I guess it would be hard to sit on expensive inventory.
No possibility of the local store getting it in on special order for you?

No possibility of the local store getting it in on special order for you?
That’s actually a fair question that I didn’t ask. I think, in the back of my mind, that SW had it so I just presumed that I was going there to get it if those stores did not. Egg on my face there.

That’s actually a fair question that I didn’t ask. I think, in the back of my mind, that SW had it so I just presumed that I was going there to get it if those stores did not. Egg on my face there.
Delivery times may not have worked in your favor anyway. I believe as far as pricing goes, should have been real similar. I think a lot of pricing on that stuff is set by the manufacturer. Maybe give or take just a little.

Our LGS is part of a larger buying group and they can usually order what you want. If it is in stock in the larger box stores, than it can be readily ordered from them. Definitely I try to shop the small local stores, but if is only available at the larger chains, then I have no problem ordering online and can usually get it cheaper and maybe free shipping.

The correct thing to do in this situation would be to buy a leupold and contact predator optics.
Sigh. Alright I’ll bite. I didn’t want to make this post about the brand. What would be the equivalent to the Viper 4x16x50 30mm BDC reticle? Similar price as well.

Some of you know I’m in process of modifying a rifle. One of those upgrades is a scope. I start looking at box stores and found Sportsman’s Warehouse has what I want. However, I like to try and buy from smaller businesses even if it’s a little extra. I’ve been to two different stores and they didnt have what I was looking for (Vortex Viper 50mm). They only had the cheaper Crossfire or Diamondback which I didn’t want. I’m probably going to SW tonight to pick it up with some rings.

It is what it is I guess.
Depends where your located and what is near by. I used to work at SW and they will never get my money again, and have to say I work at a more local and family owned style hunting store in the same town and we beat the hell out of SW. Selection, customer service, knowledge and usually price. We also control the entire inventory for the store and can get the customer whatever we want if the distributors have it in stock.

If SW is the best option then it is what it is....

I really try my best to not support the box stores, I’m not as concerned with local as much as smaller businesses. Our local shops don’t stock much, but they’ll order just about anything and you’ll pay full blown msrp.

If I want a Leupold (or a Nightforce now) I’ll hit up schmalts.

If I want a Swaro or Zeiss I’ll call cameraland or outdoorsman’s. They’ll usually work with you on the price over the phone

I really try my best to not support the box stores, I’m not as concerned with local as much as smaller businesses. Our local shops don’t stock much, but they’ll order just about anything and you’ll pay full blown msrp.

If I want a Leupold (or a Nightforce now) I’ll hit up schmalts.

If I want a Swaro or Zeiss I’ll call cameraland or outdoorsman’s. They’ll usually work with you on the price over the phone

I ordered my NL pures off cameraland and those guys are awesome.

I draw a line on “buy local” when the owner is never in the shop. And when you so see them, it’s in in a brand new $80,000 vehicle.

But seriously, as has been pointed out, small shops have to offer more that just the item. They will be unable to compete on price. The value is usually in the service and knowledge of the products.

I get pie locally. Gas cuzz I'm out. My mail. Local hardware is good and I support them if I can.
Not much else if I can help it. $5 for a half gallon of milk is a bit much.
Everything is 150 miles away.
I order online and half the time UPS & FE can't find my place ,after just delivering something the week before.

Sometimes I feel like a dick when I haggle prices at the local bow shop, but 10 dollars is 10 dollars.
“Dude I hate to be a dick, but I can get these same broad heads on gohunt for $10 cheaper”
🤦‍♂️

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back