PEAX Equipment

When to start burning points?

Az deer is only a lottery ticket for north of the big ditch and 3c. Lots and lots of good deer hunting that takes less than 6 points.
Fair point, I think if I lived closer to AZ my goal would be to hunt there more often but I'm holding out for more of the desired units. It's a good observation to point out that you choose what tags you put in these categories. For instance you can do OTC Colorado elk or wait 20+ years for a CO elk tag. Same with AZ. You make the choice of what your goal it is and how it fits in your plan.

I can really only speak to Utah but if you're planning on drawing a tag you're about 15 more years out. Even with 10 points all LE rifle units you have 1% chance or less. We try not to accumulate more than 3-4 points in any state before we burn them.

Has any of the Subscription hunting services charted what states/species/units/weapon had what level of minimum Points to draw?
( are you listening GO Hunt?)

For instance if I were to look at "state X" and saw NR drew 75% of the available Mule deer tags with 15 points or more it would make me slot that species and state as a longer term proposition. However if there was a minimum point bell curve rather than skewing to the higher points, then I could plan in the 5-10 year range.

Today I was trying to determine if a certain nearby state was worth spending money on points. One State had a number of Antlered Elk hunts that I could have 100% draw with 2 points, but Pronghorn was going to be 10 points before any hunt was a 100% chance.

Every point state I look at (OR, AZ, WY, UT,) has minimum points to draw in their odds or database, as well as the number of apps in the lower point pools.

I know i started this tread some time ago. But the line of work i am in, i can only start hunting in November how would you guys try to get this to work into your advantage with this many points in states?

There is no point holding points any more long term, too much potential downside for not enough up side. Between point creep, and the willingness of states to pull the rug out from you without hesitation( rarely do they make a more fair system ie random) instead you pay more for less and less opportunity. Even states with ample resident tags will continue to eat away at NR tags as often as they can. If they could get alway with giving zero tags and still charging NR fees they would, greed will prevail.

Cash them in and go hunt as soon as you can.
Couldn’t agree with you more. I've had too many rugs pulled out to even count. Some states twice in the last 27 years. Burned 60+ in the last two years and have next five planned. If they are not stolen completely by then.

I know i started this tread some time ago. But the line of work i am in, i can only start hunting in November how would you guys try to get this to work into your advantage with this many points in states?
Very easy - Burn the WY points first in general elk. Then cash the CO points for a low tier rifle elk there. Then shoot for the late rifle elk hunts in AZ. Best plan if you are limited to November.

I need to add, unless you are eyeing some specific very low tier deer units, I’d probably dump points and bail on UT & NV. Those are losing propositions from your ground floor.

Last edited:
Very easy - Burn the WY points first in general elk. Then cash the CO points for a low tier rifle elk there. Then shoot for the late rifle elk hunts in AZ. Best plan if you are limited to November.

I need to add, unless you are eyeing some specific very low tier deer units, I’d probably dump points and bail on UT & NV. Those are losing propositions from your ground floor.
Just wondering what unit can i hunt in november on a general tag in wyoming? I have looked through all of go hunt and i can't find any.

Just wondering what unit can i hunt in november on a general tag in wyoming? I have looked through all of go hunt and i can't find any.
You cant...there is atleast one unit i know of open but not worth time. November deer or elk in wyoming means max points basically. Want a cow tag(-type4/5) then you can burn points in November but you shouldnt.

My bad on that one I figured something would be open. In that case, I'd still do anything you can to rearrange schedule to fit in either Sept. archery or Oct rifle on a general. Otherwise you will just be in no man's land there indefinitely. And in my opinion any more points you buy beyond 4 will end up getting diluted from a coming NR point cheapening "change". That's only a matter of time. If it's impossible to fix your schedule I'd go ahead and buy one more point, do CO this year, and hope to fix work schedule next year. Otherwise you are just throwing money away like in UT & NV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back