When to start burning points?

freu1chr

I have points in lots of states and don't know when i should start burning them or should i keep saving them? Should i keep swinging for the fences on states or settle for lower end hunts when i put in for the draw? I am 27 years old and in very athletic shape.

Montana
elk 4
deer 4

colorado
elk 4
deer 4

wyoming
elk 4
deer 4

utah
elk 3
deer 3

3 for both in nevada and arizona

Last edited:
It all depends what your goals are.

Id be burning those CO points if it was me. I doubt I'll ever have more then 2-3 deer points there and maybe 3-5 elk. Unless your hunting there on leftover tags while still building points.

WY - Id be looking to burn the deer points and elk just depends.

UT - Good luck drawing anytime soon unless its general deer.

MT - Up to you

NV - Depends on weapon and season.

AZ - Good luck drawing soon unless its coues.

Just decide what most important to you. Write out your goals and go for them.

The Wyoming elk points I would burn as soon as possible hang on to the 4 deer points 4 deer points does not get U any thing much better than a general tag jmo.. Hold onto the elk points in Colorado but burn those deer points.. Good luck...

Saving points without at least some idea of where and when is wasted money. Points aren't worth anything except what can be drawn in a given year.
Not a dig at you, but for anyone else reading this or just starting out.
I'd start burning Colorado points on the type of hunt you want (rut vs early season vs more difficult season in highly prized unit), and wyoming on general tags for both. Montana bonus points might be useless if they expand general seasons.
Utah, Nevada, and Arizona bonus points are not that helpful because you never know when you're going to draw (good chance it's never).
I'd start applying, or stop buying.

I'd burn those WY elk points first on a general tag so I could get back in the game for WY elk points as soon as possible. Then probably CO elk and deer and WY deer. By the time you burn through those a couple times on some likely quality hunts, you can probably start to look at drawing something in AZ. MT isn't really on my radar so can't help much there. UT and NV are 10+ and maybe 20+ years out. Not my cup of tea, but if you are youngish and have some extra money, go for it.

I would try and hunt general Wyoming elk next year or Colorado elk. Not dig on you but it is people like you that got started it appears 4 years ago that next year with what ever point level the draw happened at it can happen at a point or more the next. So dont think guaranteed to go with 4 points next year.. I would hunt Colorado elk also soon. Dad and I started 21 years ago on Colorado elk and deer Always next year. Well that built into jo man's land and now his health condition barely allows him to pronghorn hunt. I would not have more than 4-5 points in Colorado for elk. YOU WILL NEVER CATCH A GLORY UNIT AT THIS POINT. I have been chasing 61 archery now 76 muzzleloader and am always one point off even the draw.
Wyoming has the random part so even if don't have enough points always put in for a unit want to hunt with points or a glory tag if it doesn't make sense for you to actually hunt that year, that's a secret on how to actually draw😉. Wyoming probably will change the game this year so it will be what it is. I used my Antelope this year because of this. Montana is a mess and I would go sooner than later and bow hunt it.
Look at bonus points and preference points. Two deferent things. Hopefully you have the right ones if they open the Breaks up for a general season free for all. Arizona never know but I would go on a couse deer hunt. Take a youth hunting in AZ. Need only 0-2 points to hunt cow elk or mule deer bucks. Youth camps are amazing.

Last edited:
The time to hunt is now. While you are healthy and can do it.

Don't bank points. Apply for everything you can, and hope for the best. Every year.

If you build points as a by product of applying for tags, then so be it.

Here’s my take:
CO - There are a number of above average elk & deer hunts that will be available to you in the near future. Start thinking about the kind of hunt you want for each and make a plan because there is quite a bit of opportunity for you now or soon. It won’t be in GMU 201. But who cares?
WY - General elk tag. Do it soon! Deer, probably general tag, as well, would be my recommendation.
MT - Limited deer permits are hard to come by in Montana. Consequently, points just aren’t that valuable. And some of the limited permit hunts aren’t any better than general tag hunts anyway. Not a lot of appealing options in my opinion. Elk permit opportunities are more appealing, but still gonna be hard to draw with 4 points. Stay patient. You can hunt general units in the meantime.
AZ - For deer, I’d look at a Coues hunts and then wait for a few more years and you should be in the running for some of the late rifle elk tags.
UT - Get comfortable. Boat loads of dudes & ladies with more points and the point creep in UT is severe. If you were gonna drop a state, this would be my choice. It’s grim with only 3 points for the limited entry deer and elk tags.
NV - Elk odds are like sheep odds. Hope to get lucky but don’t expect much in this life. Deer, on the other hand, is much easier especially if you wanna hunt hot archery seasons.

Last edited:
CO- Is a state where I get 3 or 4 points I use them. No sense in trying for an unattainable glory unit when there are so many decent units that you can draw and hunt now. Playing the point game in several states like your doing allows you to hunt some decent spots. When you burn points in a state you can reset and start building again while hunting another state or species.

Here’s my take:
CO - There are a number of above average elk & deer hunts that will be available to you in the near future. Start thinking about the kind of hunt you want for each and make a plan because there is quite a bit of opportunity for you now or soon. It won’t be in GMU 201. But who cares?
WY - General elk tag. Do it soon! Deer, probably general tag, as well, would be my recommendation.
MT - Limited deer permits are hard to come by in Montana. Consequently, points just aren’t that valuable. And some of the limited permit hunts aren’t any better than general tag hunts anyway. Not a lot of appealing options in my opinion. Elk permit opportunities are more appealing, but still gonna be hard to draw with 4 points. Stay patient. You can hunt general units in the meantime.
AZ - For deer, I’d look at a Coues hunts and then wait for a few more years and you should be in the running for some of the late rifle elk tags.
UT - Get comfortable. I hope you’re really young. Boat loads of dudes & ladies with more points and the point creep in UT is severe. If you were gonna drop a state, this would be my choice. It’s grim with only 3 points for the limited entry deer and elk tags.
NV - Elk odds are like sheep odds. Hope to get lucky but don’t expect much in this life. Deer, on the other hand, is much easier especially if you wanna hunt hot archery seasons.
CO -Agree
WY-Agree
MT- Serious question is there actually a point to NR bonus points? You now literally have to make it through 2 draws, both requiring points... so realistically you only have your hat in the ring every couple of years? + MT is trying it's best to destroy their point system... I think I'd just stop playing the game in MT, unless you really just want to hunt a general tag there ever couple of years.
So MT would be my choice as the state to drop.

UT -Lottery tickets... it's cheap so why not... but yeah you wont' draw
NV- Agree
AZ-Agree

I have points in lots of states and don't know when i should start burning them or should i keep saving them? Should i keep swinging for the fences on states or settle for lower end hunts when i put in for the draw?

Montana
elk 4
deer 4

colorado
elk 4
deer 4

wyoming
elk 4
deer 4

utah
elk 3
deer 3

3 for both in nevada and arizona
really a question of your age and physical condition.

I would have a specific plan for every point you buy. Buying points just to buy them can land you a lot of wasted money when it turns out that 2PP gets you a fine hunt and the next threshold is 16PP and you realize you don’t want to or can’t wait that long. I’d develop a short, medium, and long term plan for all your existing points, and swing for the fences as often as you can in any state with a random draw or bonus pool.

What's really depressing is when you look at a state like Wyoming and even if you have max elk points the odds of you drawing one of the best tags is still in the low single digits and there are no random tags. I don't think that guys with lower points realize this.

MT- Serious question is there actually a point to NR bonus points? You now literally have to make it through 2 draws, both requiring points... so realistically you only have your hat in the ring every couple of years?
Montana is screwy. No question. For me, there are quite a few limited elk tags I’d like to get my hands on. It’s hard to turn my back. (Plus, I have the Come Home To Hunt option, so I can get the general combos easily. 😬😬😬) But that two-hurdle game for most nonresidents is ridiculous. I wish, in their supposed quest to simplify deer/elk regs, they’d structure their NR general and limited entry tags the same way Wyoming does (minus the special/regular split).

Last edited:
I would have a specific plan for every point you buy. Buying points just to buy them can land you a lot of wasted money when it turns out that 2PP gets you a fine hunt and the next threshold is 16PP and you realize you don’t want to or can’t wait that long. I’d develop a short, medium, and long term plan for all your existing points, and swing for the fences as often as you can in any state with a random draw or bonus pool.
I look at points a bit like investing or saving for retirement...even if you don't know exactly how you plan to 'burn' them, you are probably better off giving yourself options in the future by having more points. Obviously this requires a budgetary consideration - and yes - you may end up buying points and not having any great options...but the way things are going I'd error on the side of having as many points as possible in as many states as possible.

Montana is screwy. No question. For me, there are quite a few limited elk tags I’d like to get my hands on. It’s hard to turn my back. (Plus, I have the Come Home To Hunt option, so I can get the general combos easily. 😬😬😬) But that two-hurdle game for most nonresidents is ridiculous. I wish, in their supposed quest to simplify deer/elk regs, they’d structure their NR general and limited entry tags the same way Wyoming does (minus the special/regular split).
Yeah "we need to simplify the regulations, except for the ones that are f#ucked up because of us already".

There is no point holding points any more long term, too much potential downside for not enough up side. Between point creep, and the willingness of states to pull the rug out from you without hesitation( rarely do they make a more fair system ie random) instead you pay more for less and less opportunity. Even states with ample resident tags will continue to eat away at NR tags as often as they can. If they could get alway with giving zero tags and still charging NR fees they would, greed will prevail.

Cash them in and go hunt as soon as you can.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back