whats your range???

DKO

whats your effective shooting range?????

also whats the farthest shot on an animal that you have taken and what was the result???

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

I would say on whitetail I would be comfortable out to forty yards, IF I knew the exact yardage, but I usually don't. All of my shots have been less than twenty five yards.

being from the east and primarily hunting whitetails i would say max. 35-40 yrds!

my farthest kill shot was 44yrds

most of my kills have been between 5-20yrds,thats what i prefer,close encounters is what i like!
biggrin.gif

but,seeing how difficult it would be to hunt within these yardages out west is the reason for asking the question! most of us who stand or still hunt in the east usually dont have longer clean shots on game! but out west 40-60yrds shots seem common.I used to freak when someone would say they took a 70-80yrd shot, but now almost every archery elk guide will say average shot 30-50yrds that is not my norm, so i was wondering if anyone consistantly takes game at greater yardages!

please answer honestly we are not here to judge, but rather to learn! thanks

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

I shoot a compound bow with 4" 6 shot groups at 35 yards, but limit my hunting shots to 25 and under because, well, I shake at the sight of a doe. I'm practicing with a recurve and hope to take an animal with it next fall. I limit my accurate range to 20 yards, and by accuratre I mean 7" groups. I'll probably limit my hunting shots to 15 or 20 yards with it depending on how I improve, and how my broadheads fly once I get them on. My longest shot at a deer was 7 yards, and the deer made it about 40 yards before stacking up. The only reason this was the longest shot is because it is the only deer I have shot with a bow.

------------------
~DAN~

hntr_trap.gif

Longest shot so far was 30 yds. ( this years Muley). I keep hearing about 50-70 yard shots. I won't say that these people can't pull it off, but I would never take a shot at an elk or deer over 40 yds. I say this because I've gotten in on animals and watched how fast they can react to abrupt noises. Pretty damn quick. I am pushing a 410 gr. arrow over 285 feet per second (fairly quick) and it aint near quick enough at anything over 45 yards.
I am not a world class shooter but can routinely keep half dozen arrows inside the width of a soft ball at forty yards. this would be good enough if the animal didn't move. This is what rules these shots (> 50 yds.) out for me.

------------------
Get Close & Shoot Straight

[This message has been edited by Bullhound (edited 02-07-2001).]

Hey Guys,

I hunt from permenant loc-on stands.
I'm pretty hooked-up for welding so they are cheap!
Most are set up for 20 yards to the outside of the far trail.....where I tie a ribbon the color of my 20 yard pin. I know, sounds stupid, but it works for me. I have 2 spots that have a bit longer shot one out to 25 the other is 30.

The first day I bowhunted, several years ago,
I was walking back from hunting and heard some deer coming. So I stopped, Knocked one and waited to see if they crossed the road.
I shot, the arrow hit the road a good 10 yards in front of the deer and skipped between its legs. It just stood there looking at me like I was an Idiot, Which I was because the distance down the road I thought was about 30 yards was 55. BAD HUNTER
Anyway a good lesson was learned that day.
I shoot 20 or less and it works for me.
JB
I wondered the same thing about hunting mule deer....more practice would be required for me. Oh Yeah, and sombody to hold the 40 yards ribbon!

30 yards is the farthest I would take at game, but I practice out to 40. Farthest I have killed a deer with is 20.

Most of my practicing is done at 30 yards or less.

Most of my hunting shots have been in the 20- 25 yard range.

The longest shot I have taken was at a buck feeding in a soybean field at 40 yards, the arrow did a pass through and he ran about 75 yards before expiring.

My shot distance and practicing is based more on where I hunt than any other factor.

Seldom would I be able to take a longer shot than 30 yards because of the brush.

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

30 yards is my max. I would probaly hold out for a shorter shot. I once poped a yote at 40 yards pure luck.

I have shot competitive archery up to distances of 90 meters throughout the US. I am very accurate on targets out to 70 meters with no problems. With this said I limit my hunting bow pin setup to 60 yards. I have harvested many animals with bows over the years and have yet to take an animal past 42 yards. That was an elk here in AZ. My personal feeling is that there are too many variables in hunting that must be taken into consideration when shooting long distances. I have freinds that will shoot further but I have a hard time knowing in my heart that shooting over 60 yards is not fair to the animal. Many of the people I know that shoot long distances have wounded animals or won't talk about that aspect of shooting long distance. I have shot a Coues deer at 40 yards and I thought that for the smaller animals that 40-50 yards may be the max. I think that if you are going to shoot anything over 40 yards you need to practice alot at the distance that you feel is your max. If not you will not know your own effective distance and that again is not fair to your quarry. This is my personal opinion.

Steve

I have shot competetivly (3D) for several years and continually practice for groups at 90 yards with blades.
That being said the longest shot I have taken on game (antelope) was 50 yrds. I have taken two elk at 42 yrds, the longest deer was at 30 yrds.
I also feel that a laser range finder is a valuable tool. I feel comfortable with my eyes out to 30 past that I rely on my range finder, no wind and relaxed animals.
50 yrds is my max that I will shoot.

------------------
plunger.gif
elksil.jpg

Wher is my 12 yard Yooper whe nI need him..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I have Only killed a Mulie at 30 yrds and A Moose at 25 yrds.... The deer took a while to get but the Moose went down after about 35 yards.

I practice to 50 yrds and would shoot that far. I ALWAYS carry a Laser rangefinder with me. I have a buddy (Or as Yooper says) "I once knew this guy wh ocould.."

But my friend has killed Animals Further than that let's say.....
biggrin.gif
But without the Rangefinders I would have to Say 20-30 But not past 30... I can't judge well....

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back