Caribou Gear

What's your go-to Hunting Pack?

I've been fortunate enough to try a few brands over the last few years and I currently favor the MR Guidelite MT packs. For MR, I have a Metcalf, Beartooth, and a Pintler bag. I also have a SG Sky Talus 6900 and a 7900 bag for the X Curve frame. The thing I really appreciate about the Guidelite MT packs over the SG, or even the older MR Guidelite packs, is the ease of access to the load shelf. The load shelf is a functional staple for me and I use it frequently. It annoys me that you dang near have to completely disassemble the SG to get to the load shelf. The SGs are strappy buggers too. It's easy enough to tuck the straps into corners and pockets when you've got them cinched down, but it always seems that when I'm securing my load, I'm searching for the correct strap to reconnect and tighten.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the SG and I'll use the 7900 for long excursions, but when I'm confident that I'm going to come out with meat, I will reach for the appropriately sized MR pack. Most Likely the Beartooth 80 without a lid. ;)

Last edited:
looking for a good hunting pack recommendation for elk and mule deer. Biggest concerns are light enough to haul around all day but capable of packing out meat. thanks fellas
MR Beartooth! Also have the Outdoorsmans Long Range pack with the atlas trainer... great for training with 2X45 lb plates, but the straps are too loud for sneaking.

I have a Kifaru Duplex frame with a nomad pack now. I've had this for 7 years and it's been great especially for day drips thru one-two night spike hunts. I'm going to either get a new Kifaru bag for this year or look at Stone Glacier/Exo packs. The great thing about packs is all of the American made options.

MR Metcalf here. Mine has hauled out 7 animals the past three seasons and shows little if any wear... other than a few blood stains.
I am going to upgrade to the Beartooth or Terraframe as I do long for some external storage.

What type of hunting are you planning on doing? For backpack hunting where I’m packing in and staying I bought the mystery ranch Marshall and I really like it would recommend it but it’s big if your just looking for a pack for day hunts I’d look at something smaller For day hunts I just use a camo assault pack I have.
Have you been using the Marshall for awhile? I was looking into getting this one

Anyone have experience with kuiu icon 5200? Came across used one, weighing options buying couple years old vs new.

Anyone have experience with kuiu icon 5200? Came across used one, weighing options buying couple years old vs new.

Depends on how old it is. Kuiu has made a lot of changes over the years. Decent packs, though. I used one for a couple years. They do everything pretty well, but there is nothing that they really excel at.

kuiu Icon Pro 3200. 5 years old, packed out 6 elk, couple deer. Use for day hunts and multi day hunts.
Ditto on the Kuiu Icon Pro 3200...I love it. Mine is also about five years old and has packed out elk and caribou. I would love to try a Kifaru or Stone Glacier out, but I can't justify it... if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Depends on how old it is. Kuiu has made a lot of changes over the years. Decent packs, though. I used one for a couple years. They do everything pretty well, but there is nothing that they really excel at.

Guy selling said it was couple years old. I have not had chance to see in person only pics.

Having a hard time finding any SG, EXO, or MR in stock. Just started my pack research and am curious if anyone knows how regularly the in stock cycle fluctuates. Looking to do a road trip this summer and meet with all the manufacturers and find which one will fit me best. Is summer soon enough to make that trip and still get one ordered and on my back by fall??
Don’t forget Seek Outside in Grand Junction, Colorado

Guy selling said it was couple years old. I have not had chance to see in person only pics.

The latest changes I know of are the 2017-18s have updated buckles to connect the bag to the frame. The only thing to be aware of with this is if you have a 2016 pack and frame and put a 2017+ bag on it, you'll need a buckle conversion kit.

The newest Pro version has an updated suspension which should be a nice upgrade since IMO Kuiu sacrificed strength and comfort for lighter weight in the previous suspensions. My Icon just wasn't built to handle heavy loads. That's why I got rid of it.

Last edited:
Eberlestock dragonfly, 10 years old and still works like it did on day 1...just with a lot of blood stains now

KUIU . IMO night and day better than MR. Lighter, more comfortable and better thought out. More adaptable and so easy to adjust. many versatile options

my biggest concern is always zipper longevity. have you experienced any zipper issues with mystery ranch packs
I've been doing the exact same thing as GMBbowhunter#7 and no problems with the zippers at all. The waist belt on the Master Ranch pack can't be beat. Love how small I can make the beartooth 80, but can also fit a 4 person tent and all my gear for a 5-8 day backpack hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back