What's up with Texans in the GYE?

I feel like its musical chairs but this time everyone will be in the west when song stops. I just wish everyone that lived in crap places worked to fix the problems they help create and improve their neighhorhood rather to move to mine. I am pretty sure right now there are more people from Wisconsin and Minnesota visiting Wyoming than there are resident of this state, its unbelieveable. Government just keeps sending checks to most americans...

It all got worse when they started watching Yellowstone…
I swear to god I heard three separate people casually talking about ‘it’s like the Yellowstone show, you know’ the last couple days in Jackson/E Idaho/YNP

But the salmonflies are coming off on the south fork so nature finds a way to balance (not that you don’t hear the accents still)

Seems like the only population rising faster than G Bears is Texans. But seriously, in the last 12 months the number of Texans has gone nuts. I assumed it was just my slice of East Idaho as a schwanky country club community was gobbled up by some rich equity folks from TX who seem to be doing well on real estate in their circles. But drive through the parks, Jackson, Paradise Valley, Bozeman, Cody, Idaho Falls etc etc etc its nothing but Texas plates and accents. What gives? Are these new property owners or simply vacationers? It started prior to covid popping but I'm sure that's accelerated it. I'm passing no judgement, just observing the exponential growth of Texans and have yet to hear an explanation of it.
They've filled up Colorado and are migrating north.

Back around 1999 my work partner and I were finishing up one of our last 10-day stints of the summer cruising around western CO and living out of the back of a CDOW pickup. We drove through Lake City and took advantage of the payphone to check out our information "hotline" (no cell phones!) and the opportunity to pick up a 6-pack each to soothe our parched throats for the last night in the field. I walked into the liquor store and there was a verifiable blonde, blue-eyed angel standing behind the counter wearing an A&M tee shirt.

She spoke to me in the sweetest, most innocent southern voice I do believe I had ever heard, and she paid far more interest to the stinky, scruffy, 9-days-without-a-shower dude standing in front of her than was logical if I would have taken a minute to think logically. As I my eyes scanned the beer cooler she queried, "have you ever had chili beer?" No ma'am, I don't believe I have, but (please) tell me more. "You should try that Cave Creek Chili Beer. It's really good." Now the idea of mixing something hot (chile) with that ice-cold nectar I'd been thinking about all day didn't sound like the best thing in my mind, but those eyes were so blue, and that voice.... Hell, it's beer. How bad could it be?

As my sun-cracked lips felt like they were going to melt right off my face in camp later that night, I swore off trusting another Texan. You have fun with them up in the GYE.

I swear to god I heard three separate people casually talking about ‘it’s like the Yellowstone show, you know’ the last couple days in Jackson/E Idaho/YNP

But the salmonflies are coming off on the south fork so nature finds a way to balance (not that you don’t hear the accents still)
I’ve found all of the Yellowstone T shirts are helpful to identify those people, because the locals damn sure aren’t wearing them.

They've filled up Colorado and are migrating north.

Back around 1999 my work partner and I were finishing up one of our last 10-day stints of the summer cruising around western CO and living out of the back of a CDOW pickup. We drove through Lake City and took advantage of the payphone to check out our information "hotline" (no cell phones!) and the opportunity to pick up a 6-pack each to soothe our parched throats for the last night in the field. I walked into the liquor store and there was a verifiable blonde, blue-eyed angel standing behind the counter wearing an A&M tee shirt.

She spoke to me in the sweetest, most innocent southern voice I do believe I had ever heard, and she paid far more interest to the stinky, scruffy, 9-days-without-a-shower dude standing in front of her than was logical if I would have taken a minute to think logically. As I my eyes scanned the beer cooler she queried, "have you ever had chili beer?" No ma'am, I don't believe I have, but (please) tell me more. "You should try that Cave Creek Chili Beer. It's really good." Now the idea of mixing something hot (chile) with that ice-cold nectar I'd been thinking about all day didn't sound like the best thing in my mind, but those eyes were so blue, and that voice.... Hell, it's beer. How bad could it be?

As my sun-cracked lips felt like they were going to melt right off my face in camp later that night, I swore off trusting another Texan. You have fun with them up in the GYE.
It was that a&m tee shirt you can't trust. You should have known better as soon as you seen that. If it would have been a burnt orange one, you would have been okay trusting it.

The same is true of Texans. They drag in their voting habits in the hopes of turning wherever they end up into the ___hole (fill in the blank) that is Texas. Potato, potato.
A true "Texican" would never give up their Texas citizenship just to vote in some other ______hole state. (fill in the blank)
We have our transients. Can't control that.

p.s. - all the voting in the world can't turn even the best state into another Texas! 😉

Last edited:
With nearly 70 million people between CA and TX, that's roughly 20 times ID, MT, and WY combined. Prime real estate, be prepared to see your populations doubled and then some in the coming decades. Watching land disappear all around me, and that is mostly just western WA money driving that. Plus those with enough money don't even have to leave their home state, can buy second and third properties wherever they like. Might not be voting but still changes things.

I'm surprised it took this long.
How many on here claim,"I was born(choose years)too late". Longing for a simpler land grab.
Or got there sooner.
Guess I should look at the bright side.
Have one neighbor moving,to Arkansas. The poacher. Neighbors here are many miles away.

Most of this land around me is Federal. So there is a limit,for now. And NM is no big draw.
The TX folk seem mostly the common man type,so far. Most, like the others, will not last long here.
It's those folks with the big spread mentality that bother me.

I live in East Texas and the same thing is happening here. Living out in the country away from town I’m watching these larger tracts of land get split up for subdivisions and 5-10 acre ranchettes. Makes me sick to my stomach. One of my friends that sells real estate is telling me the majority are conservatives coming from California. They are paying way over asking price to buy a house or land and driving values way up which will increase our property taxes. Just hope this place doesn’t get turned into an Austin Texas. Maybe after a year or 2 of the high humidity and heat they will go home.

Can't speak for the rest of Minnesota, but there's been plenty of reasons to get the hell out of the metro even before last Summer. The wife wraps up her masters program next month and will start shopping jobs out West immediately. Don't hold your breath waiting for an apology. 😁

I'm surprised it took this long.
How many on here claim,"I was born(choose years)too late". Longing for a simpler land grab.
Or got there sooner.
Almost everyone, tbh. Though it ain't as if the resident hunters were any more welcoming now than in any other era since manifest destiny began.

Last edited:
I live in East Texas and the same thing is happening here. Living out in the country away from town I’m watching these larger tracts of land get split up for subdivisions and 5-10 acre ranchettes. Makes me sick to my stomach. One of my friends that sells real estate is telling me the majority are conservatives coming from California. They are paying way over asking price to buy a house or land and driving values way up which will increase our property taxes. Just hope this place doesn’t get turned into an Austin Texas. Maybe after a year or 2 of the high humidity and heat they will go home.
What county?
Born and jerked up in Anderson Co.

Back in the mid to late 70's when Canada went full blown "socialized medicine" (i.e. Gov't health care), my home town picked up 4 VERY good MD's escaping the Canadian conversion.
My second job employer was a real estate agent and sold them all property.
An ophthalmologist, an OB-GYN and two MD's.

yeah, I have been upset at myself for not buying 5000 or even 10000 acres just North of San Antonio, when Sam and I rode North looking for help. The good news is, I rode north with him;)

Love Texas but for the safety of those who are there now, they should finish that wall and even extend it to surround the entire state ;)

and reopen Gilly's !

Ken, did those congressmen and women return yet ? Maybe you might be better off if they didn't ---just a thought :)

Back