Whats up with Eastmans' Hunting Journal?

Nate is on stafff at The Elk Hunter Magazine and Ryan Hatfield is the Editor, so those are two of the four that left Eastmans. Cameron Hanes is on staff at the other new magazine called Extreme Elk Magazine and is one of the other guys who left them.. David Long is the other defector.

Last edited:
My opinion.....who cares? Nobody here has ever switched jobs before when something more appealing came up? Was it an issue of public speculation and conjecture when you did? The fact that people even care suggests that these people are being placed up on a pedestal by the "common folks", which is really lame. :D

The only hunting magazine I've gotten for the last couple years is SFW's. True story.

I just really don't see the point in them anymore. They're all going to go the way of the newspaper in my opinion.

The fact that people even care suggests that these people are being placed up on a pedestal by the "common folks", which is really lame. :D

Wrong Oak! I dont really care, its just pheasant season closed today and I'm a little emotional right now! :(

Is it the staff/content of a magazine, or the influence of the internet on our expectations?

I'm not that old, and I remember waiting for and drooling over the Sears catalog when I was a kid. Now, barely the thought of something has it showing up on my door 2 days later. Not to mention the dewey decimal system...

Thanks amazon.com?

Not sure why so many people are bailing on Eastmans...who knows, maybe eastmans magazine is just a stepping stone and a way for people to get experience before launching new careers. It is odd that so many have quit...and usually theres a reason for it.

That said, the first real hunting "movie" I can remember seeing was a Gordon Eastman production. It was the one where they crossed the Snake River in that military raft to shoot a big mule deer buck. I really thought that was a pretty cool movie.

I think Gordon was the real deal, not many around that were filming hunts back then, and the equipment was heavy, and not real reliable. Gordon was arguably a pioneer in filming hunts.

Mike came around when all it took to be successful was hunt public land and be just a bit more serious than the average hunter of the late 60's, 70's, and early 80's. He was nothing special, by that time there were lots of hunters that would have made Mike look pretty sorry. I knew, and know some of them...and neither Mike nor Guy would be qualified to carry their jock straps.

Guy has just carried it one step further and to find the quality animals he just goes the guided/exclusive ranch route.

Since Gordon, the Eastmans have taken the path of least resistance...and I'd reckon that Gordon would kick both Mike and Guy in the ass if he saw what they are trying to pass off as the "Eastman Way".

Last edited:
I wish Mike Eastman would put up and do a DIY elk hunt in Colorado instead of rifle hunting the rut on the Hill Ranch. He claims to be the greatest and everything you need to know about hunting public land elk is in his book. Well...show us I say

Thats why I watch OYOA TV

I agree, or when they hunt there for muleys in august with rifles. gets so dam annoying. The only time I see them doing DIY public land hunts is when they get drawn for a limited hunt it seems

I just really don't see the point in them anymore. They're all going to go the way of the newspaper in my opinion.

Agreed.

Seems like every year there's a new magazine that's going to be better than the last. They seem to come and go. I'd rather read the stories on the net by guys that didn't wait a life time to draw a tag, or were 'lucky' enough to secure the governors tag. I thumbed through a buddies Hunt'n Fool the other day, two stores of governor/auction tag holders and another 2 purchased desert sheep hunts... gay. Some of the best adventures in babysitting I'd read in a while.

Nate is on stafff at The Elk Hunter Magazine and Ryan Hatfield is the Editor, so those are two of the four that left Eastmans. Cameron Hanes is on staff at the other new magazine called Extreme Elk Magazine and is one of the other guys who left them.. David Long is the other defector.

Ok, I got the new mags mixed up! Three guys left...yikes. Nate and David were involved in producing the videos/tv episodes as well. That's bad!

Just so we're all clear, Ben says that Lindsey Lohan is on staff at Eastmans?

Or am I confused??? :cool:

As "trashy" as she is, I would welcome her on my staff! :eek::D:hump::hump::hump:

Lord I apologize for saying I'd like Lindsey Lohan on my "STAFF" and please feed the starving pygmies in New Guinea. AMEN.:eek:

I grew up with the Gordon films too. Good stuff. I used to drool over the Red Desert winter range films they put out!

I dropped my subscriptions a couple years ago, mainly because I can see it all through email and pictures with Greenhorn... and visiting these internet sites...

The only one I let go that I'll probably renew is Big Buck... mostly Canada, but still a cool mag.

Back