Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What’s the worst item you’ve lost?

Same, and all the sacrificed socks and t-shirts because of too much gas station food that are scattered all over public lands throughout several states prove it.
Grandpas hunting knife........ lost it one year went back to the same area and found it. Took it to a local guy that sharpened and cleaned it all up got it back. Should of never took it out again and literally the next hunt I got on a decent mule deer buck got excited and never thought twice about it. I ended up taking the deer and when I reached for the knife I had on my belt it was gone I couldn't believe it, looked for it for a whole day the next day. Never found it again.......... 🤦‍♂️

My grandpa loved Old Timer knives and losing one, which happened more often than I care to admit, usually meant a butt kicking.

I may have to show this thread to my wife... I got a couple butt-chewings after I lost my rangefinder in a frantic, last-day chase after a wide muley.

I left my pack and all the goodies inside in The Black Hills a few years ago. We were packing up and heading for a new area. It made its way into the bed of the truck once, then we needed to rearrange some things so it got pulled out... did not make its way back in. The next morning when we opened the truck I knew what had happened. Luckily, a call to the warden turned to be fruitful. He went and picked it up for me and a buddy that lived in SD went and got it for me.

I lost my wedding ring on a deer hunt. I had rinsed my hands in the snow and was shaking them to get the melted snow off and figured it must have flown off into never never land. I have a weird knuckle on my ring finger from football and that ring always fit loose anyway. Now I have 3 silicone rings that cost me a grand total of $12. My wife was pretty cool about it.

Funny thing is my dad also had a busted knuckle on his ring finger (courtesy of a dumb moment with a lawnmower) and lost his wedding ring in a gut pile about 10 years earlier. Like father, like son.

I lost my wedding ring on a deer hunt. I had rinsed my hands in the snow and was shaking them to get the melted snow off and figured it must have flown off into never never land. I have a weird knuckle on my ring finger from football and that ring always fit loose anyway. Now I have 3 silicone rings that cost me a grand total of $12. My wife was pretty cool about it.

Funny thing is my dad also had a busted knuckle on his ring finger (courtesy of a dumb moment with a lawnmower) and lost his wedding ring in a gut pile about 10 years earlier. Like father, like son.

After I lost my first 3 wedding rings, and some severe scoldings from the Ms., I only wear silicone rings and they never come off.

Other than a 320 class elk I shot and lost with my bow about 15 years ago, I can't really think of anything I was too attached to that I lost, other than a pocket knife my grandfather gave to me when I was about 10. Left it sitting on a rock at mountain lake after cleaning fish some 10 years later. On the bright side every time I go to that lake or even think about it, I think about my grandfather.

I had a leupold gold ring spotting scope stolen out of my truck. 30-40 deer and elk antlers stolen out of my yard. I have lost every expensive knife I’ve ever bought. My wife kids and I went for a hike one time and my wife drove, lost her keys somewhere along the way. Ended up getting a ride from some really good people back to our house that was locked, broke in to my own house. I did find a nice leather man in the woods one time though haha.

Other than a 320 class elk I shot and lost with my bow about 15 years ago, I can't really think of anything I was too attached to that I lost, other than a pocket knife my grandfather gave to me when I was about 10. Left it sitting on a rock at mountain lake after cleaning fish some 10 years later. On the bright side every time I go to that lake or even think about it, I think about my grandfather.
At ten, grandkids need a knife:
Happy Birthday! You must be ten years old. When you were younger, you wanted a pocketknife and always eyed Papa’s. Well, Papa still needs his old pocketknife, so he found me for you. I am a brand new, much sharper, stronger, and better Schrade Old Timer 3-blade knife, but very similar to Papa’s knife.
If you take good care of me, I will last you for years. I can cut, carve, slice, and whittle for you very effectively, but there are certain rules you should follow.
Always keep me sharp and keep my blades closed until you need to use me.

Always keep me dry and in a place where you know I can be found.

Always pass me to another person handle-first to avoid accidental cuts and injury.

Always carry me in your pocket or another handy place when working around your place.

Never allow my blades to get close to another person.

Never take me to school, athletic activities, or meetings unless approved for a project.

Never let younger kids use me unless under your direct supervision.

Never stab, pry, hammer, or twist my blades, as they will break or become damaged.

Never leave me outside overnight or I will get rusty and perhaps lost.

Always use me to help you work and be SAFE.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! From your new Schrade Old Timer 3-blade knife

I have lost a few knifes at the kill site. The most expensive item was the first pair of binoculars that I paid more than $200 for 45 years ago. I think I left them on the hood of my truck but not sure.
The most expensive thing I almost lost was a high dollar pair of 20x80 binoculars that I had borrowed. I had them on a tripod in some sage and walked a few yards away to look into another canyon with my 10 power binoculars. I got distracted by some deer and went further than I should have. I couldn't believe how hard it was to find that tripod again. It was still set up. I have also struggled a few times to locate a bag of meat that I left in the shade of a tree when I went back down the hill to get the other bags of meat. Leaving my GPS on has saved my a couple of times.

Lost my phone in the Delaware river years ago. Wasn't a very valuable phone but the the timing couldn't have been worse. Was on a weekend canoe trip with my buddies then flying out to Wisconsin for work early Monday morning for a brief at noon with location still tdb. I was supposed to connect with my boss once I got to green bay...
The first day of the trip my phone stayed in the dry bag the whole time until we got to camp. Next morning I was a dumbass and forgot to put my phone up before we pushed off. About a quarter mile down the river approaching some deep fast water I shifted my weight, phone slipped right out my sweatpants pocket, heard a thud, looked down to see me phone bouncing off the gunwale and into the river. That thing sank like a brick out if sight as we drifted away.

The young, naive, optimistic, cheerful, outgoing, hyper-enthusiastic nimrod that was going to help "change and save" stuff. Tons of "buds".
But kinda like bambistew's bright side -
It's been replaced by a pragmatic, lower key, educated by reality, less tolerant of bullshit, old asshole - who is blessed with a deep and comfortable sense of appreciation for this stuff. A few invaluable friendships.
The nimrod was fine back then - the asshole is OK now too.....................
He hunts alone and does just fine out there.............................

I know mistakes happen, but I'm generally very responsible, and luckily I have never lost anything major(yet). The only thing that comes to mind is a bow holder that I screwed into a tree. I didn't even realize that I had left it there until 5+ years later.
I was hunting in the same area and was just looking around out of boredom when I saw something about 20ft up sticking out of a tree. I said to myself "hmm that looks weird" so I looked in my binos and saw what it was. I didn't even really remember having a stand there at first, but then I remembered that I used to bow hunt there years ago.

Somehow, in a recent move, I lost a dust buster vacuum. No idea what happened to it. I suspect that my mother in law accidentally threw it in the trash.

Lost a couple treestands over the years....:unsure:
Left a Remington 12ga leaning against truck, once home realized it, hour back and there it still laid.
2yrs ago buddy of mine pulled his 1day old new cell out of chest pocket ice finishing, we both watched him drop it in the hole.... nothing but net!😁
Of course the usual pocket knives & dads tools according to him.
Lost some merino gloves 2yrs ago
Lost bear spray fighting through stupid oak brush at midnight in Colorado one year.

Lost a Benchmade knife in 2016 on my place and still haven’t found it. I’ve lost knives there before and always found them. Also lost my lucky hat, never found it.

Lost a AR mag in the creek and found it a year later, ammo was all corroded.

A Shimano Curado DC on a Waterloo rod, into the salty deep. A couple of pairs of Costas too.

Iearned to NEVER lay anything of value on the outside of a vehicle, trailer or ground when loading my truck. Had a buddy lay his expensive 2 bbl shotgun on top the dog trailer to load his dogs. We drove off headed back home. Poor fella.

Was switching out a micro SD card on my phone once to check photos from a trail cam while 20ft up in a tree. Dropped the one that was in my phone and was never able to find it in the leaves. Lost a ton of pics on that card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back