Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's the deal with Hatch chilis? Need a quick answer!

Dave N

Local store has been featuring Hatch chilis. I've heard about them but have no firsthand knowledge. Any special flavor or heat level about them? Recipes that feature them? I get off work in an hour so any quick replies would be appreciated!

They are delicious! Get some medium and some hot chilis and decide what your liking is. I freeze them up in baggies after they are roasted and peeled to have on hand all the time. They last a very long time in frozen form. :p

Compares to a Poblano maybe? No idea about the heat level in the store. Was thinking stuffed, wrapped with bacon and grilled or smoked.

Compares to a Poblano maybe? No idea about the heat level in the store. Was thinking stuffed, wrapped with bacon and grilled or smoked.

Heat levels can vary depending on the variety used. At stores here in NM I usually see them labeled as mild, medium or hot. But its all relative. Even a hot Hatch generally isn't as high in Scoville units as a jalapeno, and jalapneos aren't even close in heat to other peppers, etc.

If unsure of a recipe, buy them now, roast, remove skins and freeze them for later.

Bought a case (roughly 25lbs) of roasted 2 weeks ago. I was told they were hot but they were closer to medium so I'm going back to the store tomorrow to buy another case (or 3) of roasted ones if they're hot enough. Hatch Chiles are a variety of New Mexico chile known for their flavor unique to the area...I believe they're known as Anaheim's if grown outside of New Mexico. I just wish I could get some fresh red ones to cook with too.

Chili, tacos, burgers, salsa, jelly, syrup, eggs, etc. The uses are endless. I believe I'm going to try to track down some chokecherries to make a spicy jelly or syrup

If I had a freeze dryer I'd made a powder for season also

Last edited:
hatch and pueblo - great stuff

hatch on average have less heat than pueblos i believe. but both can get pretty sizzly.

i roast them using the sear grate on my pit boss, but i most often buy them pre roasted and put in a trash bag to sweat from roadside stands. freeze them with skin on in 1 lb batches.

then i often smoke them whole on the pit boss for like 30-40 minutes once skinned. then i usually do a brief saute diced in butter before using in recipes which range from everything from mac and cheese, eggs, as a topping on tacos, in burritos, homemade salsas, homemade pork green chile, barbacoa in the crock pot, on burgers, in fried southwest style rice... the list is endless.

try sauteeing smoked and diced green chile with massive amount of butter, diced onion (or shallot) and garlic, throw that mixture on top of a massive slow smoked reverse seared ribeye... holy shit.

Last edited:
Lots of great info already. Eat them a ton, more so when my mom lived in NM. Heat is usually not bad, like a midwest jalapeno. But can be as hot as a habanero if the grower worked his magic on them haha!

Great on burgers, or the New Mexico classic pizza: pepperoni and green chilis... Yummm

oh i forgot about pizza!

my favorite local pizza joint in northern colorado has a pizza with diced green chile, pepperoni, and little globs of cream cheese.... trust me people, the cream cheese makes this pizza

Awesome on burgers or when smoked and used to make a batch of green chili. Think variations of this recipe https://www.food.com/recipe/pork-green-chili-colorado-style-273593 My favorite uses are smothering extra crispy fries with the green chili, covering with grated jack cheese and getting melty under a broiler (Colorado Poutine) and a 50/50 elk-pork burger, topped with extra sharp cheddar, a fried egg and then smothered with the chili.... you're welcome ;)

Awesome on burgers or when smoked and used to make a batch of green chili. Think variations of this recipe https://www.food.com/recipe/pork-green-chili-colorado-style-273593 My favorite uses are smothering extra crispy fries with the green chili, covering with grated jack cheese and getting melty under a broiler (Colorado Poutine) and a 50/50 elk-pork burger, topped with extra sharp cheddar, a fried egg and then smothered with the chili.... you're welcome ;)
oh the heartburn...so worth it!

oh i forgot about pizza!

my favorite local pizza joint in northern colorado has a pizza with diced green chile, pepperoni, and little globs of cream cheese.... trust me people, the cream cheese makes this pizza
Now you're making me hungry! Yum

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back