What's on the smoker today?

Nothing I can think of other then getting a new processor🤣.
Wasn't too pleased myself. They do a great job and we've used then since I was a kid. But they seem to be having a hard time finding good help and it has been showing a lot the last couple years. I'm close to switching just can't bring myself to do it yet.

Wasn't too pleased myself. They do a great job and we've used then since I was a kid. But they seem to be having a hard time finding good help and it has been showing a lot the last couple years. I'm close to switching just can't bring myself to do it yet.
In their defense I've done a few beefs and it isn't the easiest job. The only animal I don't do myself and hire out. It's worth every penny!

In their defense I've done a few beefs and it isn't the easiest job. The only animal I don't do myself and hire out. It's worth every penny!
I was thinking about this earlier today. I take them my hogs and beef. However the hogs I just get back in bulk now as I like my sausage better than there's. But they have the bacon and hams down like you've never had ( thier is an entire wall of national awards for their smoked products) And as far as the beef they have the mix for burger down to a science. If it weren't for those two things I'd probably find a way to do it all myself.

No pictures were taken of my beef ribs. However I am convinced every time I make them they are definitely my favorite.
I've got one set of plate ribs from my last beef I'm hording for the 4th. Haven't found any in the store for a long while much less one at a good price. I agree my favorite.

I love smoking meats and I love cooking wild game. Combining the two can be hard as the lean wild game doesn’t lend itself well to low and slow smoking.

However, I saved the brisket off my bull from last year and wanted to give it a try.

First things first, I brined it with a 1/4c salt, 1/4c sugar, and 10 garlic gloves dissolved in a quart of water. Gave it a couple days.

Rinsed, paper towel dried, mustard slather then a good covering of Chef Swag Everything Seasoning. In the smoker at 200 with mesquite. Ran it up to IT of 150. Pulled it. Dropped in vac seal bag (actually two because it was too big for one bag). Each bag got half a stick of butter (lard or tallow would have been preferable). Then into a sous vide set at 155 for 36 hours. Turned out great. Not dry. I should have chilled it then put it back on smoker to get a bit of bark back and give more smoke flavor but I was tired of waiting. It honestly just turned out like a flat. Even the “point” didn’t have any fat to speak of.
It was a lot of work but really cool way to enjoy elk. IMG_8059.jpegIMG_8062.jpegIMG_8063.jpegIMG_8098.jpegIMG_8099.jpeg

I love smoking meats and I love cooking wild game. Combining the two can be hard as the lean wild game doesn’t lend itself well to low and slow smoking.

However, I saved the brisket off my bull from last year and wanted to give it a try.

First things first, I brined it with a 1/4c salt, 1/4c sugar, and 10 garlic gloves dissolved in a quart of water. Gave it a couple days.

Rinsed, paper towel dried, mustard slather then a good covering of Chef Swag Everything Seasoning. In the smoker at 200 with mesquite. Ran it up to IT of 150. Pulled it. Dropped in vac seal bag (actually two because it was too big for one bag). Each bag got half a stick of butter (lard or tallow would have been preferable). Then into a sous vide set at 155 for 36 hours. Turned out great. Not dry. I should have chilled it then put it back on smoker to get a bit of bark back and give more smoke flavor but I was tired of waiting. It honestly just turned out like a flat. Even the “point” didn’t have any fat to speak of.
It was a lot of work but really cool way to enjoy elk. View attachment 327916View attachment 327917View attachment 327918View attachment 327919View attachment 327920
I recognize that seasoning ;) Thanks for the support and being a test guinea pig!!

Well not as fancy as you guys, but I am making wild turkey jerky (or would it be jurkey?) on the Traeger today!

It was a lot of work but really cool way to enjoy elk. View attachment 327916View attachment 327917View attachment 327918View attachment 327919View attachment 327920
Nice, I've been wanting to try it but I can't manage to get one off in the field without hacking it up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kws82590
Back