Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What's on the smoker today?

I just did a couple racks of Pork ribs and a nice beef chuck steak using Hickory! It sure turned out nice. I did a large turkey for Thanksgiving and a nice ham and a whole chicken before that. Used Apple wood on the turkey and the chicken and a combination of apple and alder wood on the ham. All were very good. I just purchased the 40" Masterbuilt electric smoker that Cabela's sells and could not be happier with it. Works outstanding! I can't wait to make up some jerky.
Any ideas of needing to brine a duck for the smoker?

Don't is my first suggestion. First question is what species of duck? If there must be a brine I'd have some apple cider vinegar herbs of your choosing and a touch of brown sugar.

Consider checking Hank Shaws tea smoked duck recipe.

I have not done a duck on the smoker yet. I imagine it would be excellent and I don't know if you really need a brine. I just did a wild turkey I killed on the smoker. I breasted him out and put the breasts in water and sea salt and added some really good maple syrup with it. I put it in the fridge for 24 hours before I smoked it. After I took it out of the water I patted it dry and then set it on a meat rack to air dry a bit. Before smoking I rubbed the breasts with some Virgin olive oil and on the smoker they went. This might work great for duck as well!

I have not done a duck on the smoker yet. I imagine it would be excellent and I don't know if you really need a brine. I just did a wild turkey I killed on the smoker. I breasted him out and put the breasts in water and sea salt and added some really good maple syrup with it. I put it in the fridge for 24 hours before I smoked it. After I took it out of the water I patted it dry and then set it on a meat rack to air dry a bit. Before smoking I rubbed the breasts with some Virgin olive oil and on the smoker they went. This might work great for duck as well!
Thanks for the tip!!

First pool party of the season today. Doing a pork butt for pulled pork.View attachment 327464
Looks great! Another week up here in tropical north dakota before I get our pool running. But that doesn't stop the grill...griddle..and pellet smoker!!! Tomorrow it's Cornish game hens in the smoker. Finished with Thai chili sauce at the end on high heat. Good vittles.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back