Caribou Gear

What's on the smoker today?

While not strictly traditional smoking, I present for your consideration smoked pork green chile. Rubbed a boneless butt with Tajín, hit it with a couple hours of smoke, cubed it and added tomatillo salsa, green chiles (Hatch, of course), onion and garlic, then put the whole shebang back on the smoker for an hour. Plated with queso fresco and habanero salsa from a local Mexican grocery, tortillas and smoked ranch beans.

E09BEF4C-1788-40EB-A565-8E65045B31B1.jpeg
198513F8-484E-4EA2-888D-AA0480E61731.jpeg

Did a Pepsi challenge with backstrap from Mule deer and whitetail last night. Marinated, seasoned and cooked the same, smoked at 160 for hour and a half then reverse seared on Blackstone. Mule deer won by a 3 to 1 vote 4-2 if you allow children to have voting rights.20240221_163238.jpg20240221_182516.jpg20240221_182844.jpg

How do you like to do your beefribs? I used the 3-2-1 method like for pork ribs and they came out on the dry side.
I smoke mine like a brisket. These are the Dino ribs or plate ribs, I don’t like the beef back ribs. I did these at 275 for about 8hrs uncovered until probe tender. You can wrap them as well I just didn’t this time. So however you do your brisket is how I would do these.

Found this going through camera roll. Smoke a bunch of pork butts and made beans for the wrestling team a while back ago. The beans was giant can of the cheapo pork and beans, Worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, spicy ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, smoked sausage, and bacon to cover it. Smoke it uncovered for a couple hours and then covered a couple hours. Usually start them about the time I wrap my butts.

Attachments

• IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Found this going through camera roll. Smoke a bunch of pork butts and made beans for the wrestling team a while back ago. The beans was giant can of the cheapo pork and beans, Worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, spicy ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, smoked sausage, and bacon to cover it. Smoke it uncovered for a couple hours and then covered a couple hours. Usually start them about the time I wrap my butts.
All of those look outrageous, well done! Treating beef ribs like brisket might be my problem-- I've never been able to get my brisket dialed in perfectly. Sometimes it turns out well, sometimes I end up chopping it and turning it into chili.

All of those look outrageous, well done! Treating beef ribs like brisket might be my problem-- I've never been able to get my brisket dialed in perfectly. Sometimes it turns out well, sometimes I end up chopping it and turning it into chili.
Brisket is one of those tricky ones for sure. Best thing to do is just go slow. I start at either 250 or 275 and let it go until the bark is set, by that I mean you can touch it with a finger and it doesn’t stick to your finger. From there I wrap it with butcher paper, you can use foil also, and then bump it to 275 if I’m at a lower temp and let it go until it’s probe tender. That’s usually 203-209 but I’ve seen it as low as 195 also. Pull it let it rest and slice against the grain. Do you use an offset or a pellet smoker?

Did this recipe exactly, and it turned out absolutely phenomenal. Even my pregnant picky wife thought they were outstanding. lol I prepped them last night, let them sit in the fridge overnight and they took about 2.5 hours to hit IT. Started at 9:30 and ready by lunch— highly recommend!
Going to do this Sunday. mtmuley

Back