What's on the smoker today?

Just threw them on. mtmuley
I like to cook big bakers hot. About 425 for an hour or more until internal temp hits about 205, then take them out and rub the skins with bacon grease, butter or some other oil, salt them with some kind of course ground salt (usually kosher salt for me), then throw them back on the heat for another 10 mins or so. Results in a nice crispy skin that always gets eaten.

I like to cook big bakers hot. About 425 for an hour or more until internal temp hits about 205, then take them out and rub the skins with bacon grease, butter or some other oil, salt them with some kind of course ground salt (usually kosher salt for me), then throw them back on the heat for another 10 mins or so. Results in a nice crispy skin that always gets eaten.
Damn you. mtmuley

This is how I do it. Only I rub with the oil and salt before I put it on to begin with. 425* for minimum of an hour.

I grew up in a pretty poor and rural area, I didn’t know they actually made a hand warmer, we were raised with baked potatoes in foil in our pockets…. 😂

No foil for me. Skin doesn't get crispy if you put them in foil.
Same. No foil. I wash, poke with a fork, rub with oil, heavy with the Himalayan pink salt. Then on the smoker at 425* for at least and hour. Usually it’s closer to 2 hours after I get the main course done.

We've got a couple of bison 8 oz New York Strips thawing. Anyone done these, and do you marinate, or just S&P? Given the leanness, thinking about our game marinade; gin, smashed juniper berries, thyme, smashed garlic, rosemary, olive oil.

I don't bonk river trout...maybe twice in decades. Bonked one today for the smoker.
I really want to smoke it whole with skin...anybody have some Traeger suggestions , simple start to finish?View attachment 312678
Scale it well then brine it with a simple brown sugar (3 part), salt (1 part) wet brine for a couple hours. Smoke it as low as you can, 150-ish, until done - maybe 4 hours or so.

It’s always worked well for me.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back