What's on the smoker today?

+1 on Kundera stuff for poultry, also have a great steak rub.

My other poultry favorite is called Chupacabra. I end up getting it off Amazon because no stores near me carry it.

Hi everyone,

I am in the market to buy my first ever pellet grill to be able to smoke meats. I’ve only ever used propane grills up until now.

I’d love to get your recommendations on which brands/models to consider before taking the plunge with a big purchase.

SIL smoked a Turkey breast for Thanksgiving that was simply delicious. Moist as could be and very tender.

Hi everyone,

I am in the market to buy my first ever pellet grill to be able to smoke meats. I’ve only ever used propane grills up until now.

I’d love to get your recommendations on which brands/models to consider before taking the plunge with a big purchase.
Budget will have a lot to do with it. I think most pellet grills out there will get the job done, may have to make so modifications to make then work as well as possible. Of course Traeger is the largest company, and they make good stuff, not gonna say that they're the best. Yoder makes one that's supposed to he the cats ass, but you're going to pay for it. I look for a good name, but also what the layout and ease of cooking is with the way the grates are setup.. See if there's a local smoke shop that you has several models that you can look and see the differences in person. I've had a couple of different grills, I'm now using an Oklahoma joes which I really like, it gets to 650 degrees with a good bit of direct heat, doubles well as a grill. It also maintains smoke Temps very well which is pretty important if you want to keep all of your hair.

Hi everyone,

I will echo what was already said. I own a Treager and a Pit Boss. Each have their own quirks.

I miss the opportunity to actually flame grill. There are searing options on the market and I haven’t tried them.

I think a good combo is to have a propane grill and a cabinet pellet smoker. That way everything is covered.

I will echo what was already said. I own a Treager and a Pit Boss. Each have their own quirks.

I miss the opportunity to actually flame grill. There are searing options on the market and I haven’t tried them.

I think a good combo is to have a propane grill and a cabinet pellet smoker. That way everything is covered.
Yah I couldn't do it all with a pellet grill like you'd think. I've got the cabinet pellet and a propane grill and a charcoal. But one or the other combined with a pellet cabinet would cover just about anything imo.

Hi everyone,

Love my Traeger. So easy it is like cheating, gets a solid smoke ring and cleanup is super easy— just hit the fire pot with a shop vac every 10-12 smoke sessions and you’re fine. Also versatile enough that I’ve been able to low smoke down to about 180 and crank the heat to 500 for a good sear.

I’ve long had the intention of getting a Traeger, but the recent reviews on their website show the quality going downhill. Has anyone purchased one recently than can corroborate or refute that?

All I can say about Traeger is go to home depot and look for yourself. Check out the body and hardware and make a decision about its quality and construction. I owned one, it served its purpose, I chose to not own another

All I can say about Traeger is go to home depot and look for yourself. Check out the body and hardware and make a decision about its quality and construction. I owned one, it served its purpose, I chose to not own another
I suppose I should have clarified something in my initial post. I’m military stationed overseas so don’t have any access to look at anything in person. My family is living in Montana so I have a place to ship something to.

I asked for advice in anticipation of potentially purchasing something on sale this weekend online to save some money.

Budget will have a lot to do with it. I think most pellet grills out there will get the job done, may have to make so modifications to make then work as well as possible. Of course Traeger is the largest company, and they make good stuff, not gonna say that they're the best. Yoder makes one that's supposed to he the cats ass, but you're going to pay for it. I look for a good name, but also what the layout and ease of cooking is with the way the grates are setup.. See if there's a local smoke shop that you has several models that you can look and see the differences in person. I've had a couple of different grills, I'm now using an Oklahoma joes which I really like, it gets to 650 degrees with a good bit of direct heat, doubles well as a grill. It also maintains smoke Temps very well which is pretty important if you want to keep all of your hair.
Which specific model of Oklahoma Joes do you have and what do you like about it more than the Traeger?

Hi everyone,

I have owned or own two pit bosses, a traeger, and two Yoder's all pellet smokers. If money isn't a object by far and away the Yoder is the best. Only pellet smoker I've ever owned that gets hot enough to truly sear. But if you're just looking for something to smoke with on occasion either pitboss or a Traeger won't disappoint. I've torture tested both (lots of cooking with minimal cleaning) pit boss went out after 2 1/2 years, auger seized up. Fixed it gave it to my nephew and got a Traeger I'm at about 4 years with it with only one deep clean. Still going strong on the backporch.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back