Caribou Gear Tarp

What's on the smoker today?

Had never tried mustard before, and my wife found a recipe she wanted me to follow. I put the plain old yellow mustard on it, kinders “the blend” seasoning, and a brown sugar / butter baste at 150* before covering til 203*. Spritzed with apple juice until covering too. Got incredible compliments at dinner for it. Temp sensor is way off so it cooked slower than expected but ended very well. Pic of it cooked a little was only 3 hours in. Having fun with the traeger.

Had never tried mustard before, and my wife found a recipe she wanted me to follow. I put the plain old yellow mustard on it, kinders “the blend” seasoning, and a brown sugar / butter baste at 150* before covering til 203*. Spritzed with apple juice until covering too. Got incredible compliments at dinner for it. Temp sensor is way off so it cooked slower than expected but ended very well. Pic of it cooked a little was only 3 hours in. Having fun with the traeger.
I've been using mustard on my smoked pork as well the last couple years. I feel like it helps get a nice bark or roasted type skin without drying out and keeping as much moisture as possible, doesn't come through in the taste at all. I don't even like mustard.

I agree @TwistedSage No taste from mustard at all but came out with a great bark, deep smoke ring, and extremely moist. Was on the smoker 12 hours then finished in the oven for an hour (heat sensor was off so cooked at a much lower temp and longer than expected).

I would have a problem leaving the rest to go to waste. Lots of guys shoot them for target practice and leave the whole animal.
If you shoot them with a depredation permit, you can't use any of the meat. That's just wrong.
Maybe it's the geographic area that I'm shooting them, but the bigger ones have a really strong, pungent, off taste to them. Even grinding the front quarters into sausage, it still has a bad taste. And yeah, it does leave a bit of guilt in my mind not utilizing the entire hog, where I'm harvesting them is on ag fields and it's encouraged to kill as many as possible.

20220917_151406.jpg20220917_153433.jpg20220917_174033.jpg20220917_180054.jpg20220917_180248.jpg
Pulled out the big boy for tomorrow gonna have around a couple dozen people over tomorrow. Did a tri tip tonight and am doing a 19lb ham and a 9lb wagyu brisket. Also going to do a BlackBerry and a peach cobbler on the smoker. About to start the smoker and get the ham on.20220916_232325.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back