Caribou Gear Tarp

What's on the smoker today?

Cajun themed steamer. Cooked on the smoker at 350 for about 45 minutes, not necessarily smoked but…. Pretty good.
I've never tried individual packets like that, we usually do the big foil pan. One of my kids hates shrimp and picks them out, and complains that the veggies taste like seafood... going to try it your way next time. Cajun Hobo dinners, Fantastic

I've never tried individual packets like that, we usually do the big foil pan. One of my kids hates shrimp and picks them out, and complains that the veggies taste like seafood... going to try it your way next time. Cajun Hobo dinners, Fantastic
It is a really good idea

One of the packs, I think 4th from the left, is devoid of shrimp for the same reason. (I might have snuck one or two in there in an attempt to convert her unsuccessfully.)

Thanks guys. I built it on a giant rock in my back yard about 8 years ago. We used to have a koi pond in the yard when we bought the house. It was above ground, and had brick stacked around the outside of it. When my kid was a toddler we decided to take it out since we never cared for the upkeep anyway, and we didn’t want the kids playing around it.
Anyway. It was way more brick than it looked like. I ended up with over a bundle of brick stacked on that big rock, and I needed to move it or do something with it. The next day I drew a sketch of a smoker, and started building it the following day. It was a couple weeks of evenings and a lot of beer.

B76C256F-E8BF-46B0-9524-84EB2563EAEF.jpeg

E9B043A8-9EF0-42E9-865E-8FF093D23679.jpeg

76A38F72-F30D-46A2-9662-EE4073FE7CC0.jpeg

0B76BB39-E4CB-4CFF-80BA-3B164A0AEC5C.jpeg

A4E7125F-2AD3-4B58-9464-B772586B0002.jpeg

F29713A9-B7E2-4FC8-8BCB-50F129DF7C28.jpeg

C1249EA2-8EB0-47E9-92C2-5B66082B6686.jpeg

Last edited:
Dang man, I did a Tri Tip last night. I feel like it's the most under represented cut of beef. I'm always watching the ads for it to go on sale and stock up, I chop it for stew meat also.
New user here, didn't realize there was a "whatcha smokin" thread but now that I found it I'm following.
One of my favorite cuts of beef. It's like steak and brisket had a baby.

Really new to smoking meat. Got a free hand me down gen 1 traeger from my BIL. Learning slowly but its been a delicious experience.
View attachment 239027View attachment 239028View attachment 239029View attachment 239030View attachment 239031
Smoking-meat.com is your friend. Lots of good recipes there.

I usually do this one on Thanksgiving.

My wife really likes it.

9E7FB008-6CD4-4A1A-97D1-605E4A3A68CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Smoking-meat.com is your friend. Lots of good recipes there.
Thank you for the tip! That turkey looks amazing, Ill put it on the list. I did smoke a turkey and it turned out pretty good - juicy and delicious. Ordered some new meat thermometers too. Im used to grilling by look and feel, not used to cooking by timing and temps yet.

Thank you for the tip! That turkey looks amazing, Ill put it on the list. I did smoke a turkey and it turned out pretty good - juicy and delicious. Ordered some new meat thermometers too. Im used to grilling by look and feel, not used to cooking by timing and temps yet.
I’ve been using a thermometer called “Smoke” for a few years. It has a transmitter at the smoker and a reciever you can carry around. I can watch the tube or mow the yard and keep tabs on the cooking temp and internal temp.

Thanks guys. I built it on a giant rock in my back yard about 8 years ago. We used to have a koi pond in the yard when we bought the house. It was above ground, and had brick stacked around the outside of it. When my kid was a toddler we decided to take it out since we never cared for the upkeep anyway, and we didn’t want the kids playing around it.
Anyway. It was way more brick than it looked like. I ended up with over a bundle of brick stacked on that big rock, and I needed to move it or do something with it. The next day I drew a sketch of a smoker, and started building it the following day. It was a couple weeks of evenings and a lot of beer.

View attachment 238997

View attachment 238998

View attachment 239021

View attachment 238999

View attachment 239000

View attachment 239001

View attachment 239002
That's awesome, I have dreams if building a brick pizza oven someday. My daughter loves to watch diy brick oven videos on YouTube lol

That's awesome, I have dreams if building a brick pizza oven someday. My daughter loves to watch diy brick oven videos on YouTube lol
I can’t find them, but I had some pics of pizza I’ve done in this thing. I’ve gotten it ripping at 750-800 degrees and cooked a few pizzas in 3-5 minutes. Brown, smokey bubbly goodness.

My second attempt at smoking was 1000% better than the first. My dogs wouldn't touch the first attempt. I brined a 2# wild hog ham for 10 days in bacon cure then followed the box instructions for smoking. I used apple wood chips to internal temp of 140*. We sliced out a couple 3/4" steaks for dinner and it was fantastic. I sliced the rest into 1/4" bacon-ish strips. I have 3 more hams in the brine!

9lb bone in pork shoulder butt. I like to trim, dry rub, & wrap mine for 2-3days prior. Anyone that's just starting out smoking should learn on this cut, it's relatively inexpensive and very , very forgiving.
I feel like the bone in is the better option for pulled pork, just seems to be juicier in my experiences. I'll throw this dude on tomorrow morning at 7ish....20220917_183303.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back