Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What's on the smoker today?

in other news, my daughter brought home a smoked bone in pork shoulder left over from a farm dinner she helped with. It sat in our fridge a couple nights, intact. I mistakenly thought I could pop it in the oven and heat it up in an hour. UMMMMM NO.

Internal was still in double digits, so I scrapped that idea, and put it in the crock pot on low last night at about 8. It did not look like the internal temp got up to shreddable level on the original smoke, hence why it wasn't served...

Meanwhile I'd picked up some tri tip on sale, and I grilled 2 of them after trimming them and rubbing with Pappy's seasoning. I bagged one whole vacuum sealed, and sliced the other for dinner with Airfried Russet potato steak fries. The sliced leftovers went into 3 lunches this morning.

Also this morning I prepared 3 Vac bags and put the now hot and shredded pork in them to store for future quick meals. Those went in the freezer and I'll vac seal them once frozen.

So there are 4 future dinner entrees to reheat and eat...

I'd like to hear how this turned out and what recipe you used.

Ingredients​

• ▢ 1 1/2 pounds duck, venison, beef, pork, whatever
  • ▢ 1/2 pounds liver
  • ▢ 1/2 pound pork fat
  • ▢ 1 large onion, chopped
  • ▢ 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • ▢ 2 poblano or green bell peppers, chopped
  • ▢ 1 bay leaf
  • ▢ 6 garlic cloves, chopped
  • ▢ 4 tablespoons kosher salt
  • ▢ 1/2 teaspoon Instacure No. 1 (optional)
  • ▢ 3 to 5 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, or see below
  • ▢ 2 cups cooked white rice (long-grain is best)
  • ▢ 1 cup parsley, chopped
  • ▢ 1 cup green onions, chopped
  • ▢ Hog casings

Instructions​

• Chop the meats, liver and fat into chunks that will fit in the grinder. Mix the meats, liver and fat with the onion, celery, poblano peppers and garlic, then the salt, curing salt (if using) and either the Cajun seasonings or the spice mix you made from this recipe. Put it all in a lidded container and set in the fridge at least an hour, and up to a day.
  • Put the contents of the container into a large pot and pour in enough water to cover everything by an inch or two. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until everything is tender, at least 90 minutes and up to 3 hours. Strain the cooking liquid (you'll need it later) and spread the meat, fat and veggies out on a sheet pan to cool.
  • When everything is cool enough to handle, grind it through the coarse die (6.5 mm) on your grinder. You can also hand chop everything.
  • Put your meat mix into a large bowl and add the cooked rice, parsley and green onions. Mix well, and add up to 4 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Mix this for 3 to 5 minutes so you make a more cohesive mixture to stuff into a casing. You now have boudin.
  • You can just shape the mixture into balls and fry them (they're awesome), or use your boudin as stuffing for something else, like a turkey. Or you can case it. Stuff the boudin into hog casings, and while you're doing it, get a large pot of salted water hot -- not simmering, just steaming. You want the water to be about 165ºF to 170ºF. Poach the links for 10 minutes, then serve. If you are not serving them right away, no need to poach the links yet.
  • Boudin does not keep well, so eat it all within a couple days. It does freeze reasonably well, however.

wild hog liver sausage

Ingredients​

• ▢ 1 pound pork liver, partially frozen
  • ▢ 1 pound pork fat
  • ▢ 3 pounds pork shoulder
  • ▢ 36 grams kosher salt, about 3 level tablespoons
  • ▢ 55 grams pine nuts, about a half cup, toasted
  • ▢ 30 grams sugar, about 2 level tablespoons
  • ▢ 15 grams ground coriander seed, about 2 teaspoons
  • ▢ 5 garlic cloves, chopped
  • ▢ 5 grams black pepper, about 1 tablespoon
  • ▢ Zest from 3 tangerines or oranges
  • ▢ 1/2 cup sweet white wine, such as Muscat
  • ▢ Hog casings

Instructions​

• Chill the meat until it is almost frozen by putting it in the freezer for an hour or so. Take out some hog casings and set in a bowl of warm water.
  • Chop meat and fat into 1 inch chunks. Combine all the spices with the meat (except the wine), mix well with your hands and let it rest in the fridge for about an hour.
  • Grind through your meat grinder (you can use a food processor in a pinch, but you will not get a fine texture) twice, first using the coarse die, then the fine one. If your room is warm, set the bowl for the ground meat into another bowl of ice to keep it cold.
  • Add the sweet wine and mix thoroughly either using a Kitchenaid on low for 60-90 seconds or with your (very clean) hands. Mixing is important to get the sausage to bind properly. Once it is mixed well, put it back in the fridge.
  • Stuff the sausage into the casings all at once. Twist off links by pinching the sausage down and twisting it, first in one direction, and then with the next link, the other direction. (This video shows how I do it.) Or you could tie them off with butcher’s string.
  • Hang the sausages in a cool place for up to a day (the colder it is, the longer you can hang them). If it is warm out — warmer than 70F — hang for one hour. Once they have dried a bit, put in the fridge until needed. They will keep for at least a week in the fridge.
  • If you are freezing the sausages, wait a day before doing so. This will tighten up the sausages and help them keep their shape in the deep-freeze.

8-10 lb of mule deer pastrami smoked last night. I followed Steve rinellas elk pastrami recipe almost exactly brining for the full 5 days and then smoking until 145 internal temp. Absolutely delicious! The only difference is that I skipped the steaming part at the end Ive done the recipe before with steaming it at the end, and for us it was 10x better without steaming. I could barely slice it fast enough for the kids last night. D9F699D3-E83A-4F88-963D-276535CEE1AF.jpegB394AABB-96CD-4250-ABDF-AEEC75CD5B89.jpeg

Not a full smoked meal , but the ham and sausage were smoked prior to cubing,, so it's a partial entry😅

Bbq shrimp "boil"
Red potatoes, white onions, corn, bell, sweet Italian, nardello, banana, and pillar peppers. Shrimp, smoked ham & kielbasa. Old bay seasoning
Covered foil pan 25 minutes in the bbq
View attachment 243571
That looks awesome.

I still consider myself a smoking newb as I've only been doing it for a year or so. I picked up a worn out smoker on craigslist for $20 and started experimenting different methods. So far so good.
Not sure what muscle group off of my 2021 Kansas buck I smoked a couple days ago but man it turned out good. I have access to peach tree wood and so far I haven't tried anything else.
I put on a Webers dry rub and smoked this meat for a bit over 2 hours. Then put it in a electric roaster oven overnight smothered in Head Country BBQ sauce wrapped in foil.
I believe it's the tenderest smoked meat I have ever had besides bologna. Can easily cut it with a fork. Almost falls apart. IMG_20221014_094713.jpg

I still consider myself a smoking newb as I've only been doing it for a year or so. I picked up a worn out smoker on craigslist for $20 and started experimenting different methods. So far so good.
Not sure what muscle group off of my 2021 Kansas buck I smoked a couple days ago but man it turned out good. I have access to peach tree wood and so far I haven't tried anything else.
I put on a Webers dry rub and smoked this meat for a bit over 2 hours. Then put it in a electric roaster oven overnight smothered in Head Country BBQ sauce wrapped in foil.
I believe it's the tenderest smoked meat I have ever had besides bologna. Can easily cut it with a fork. Almost falls apart. View attachment 244655
That smoke ring is impressive, looks absolutely delicious.

Just started these a few minutes ago, will update after i pull them..

Beef short ribs ( flanken style) I like getting these from Sam's Club occasionally and making Korean ribs or just some tasty appetizers.

Jalepeno poppers, peppers were picked off my plants today. I do mine a little differently. ... I use neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese, diced green onion, venison breakfast sausage, garlic, and a small amount of grated pepper jack. Mixed well and stuffed into the cored peppers.
20221015_181534.jpg
20221015_200410.jpg

Last edited:
That looks amazing. How did it taste, and how did you make it?
It was pretty tasty, very much like regular ham! I used a boned out piece and then rolled and tied it, most use an entire hind i believe but used what i had... i used a combo of brine/cure ingredients of recipes i found online, brined for 6 days flipping each day ( i will inject next time as well regardless of thickness) and then i smoked it on my pellet grill to 165 final, glazing the last hour. It even convinced my wife to eat bear for the first time!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back