Caribou Gear

What's on the smoker today?

Well all this is going to make my smoked butter look kind of lame.

Bought a package of Amish butter to smoke this week with the coming colder temps.
Haven't decided whether to use mesquite, pecan or oak wood.
Thankfully it will be a small, cool fire and I only need about 1-2 hrs of smoke I think.

Did a meatloaf in the smoker yesterday. Will be doing meatloaf in the smoker from here on out. mtmuley

Did you follow a recipe or just wing it? I’ve been meaning to try this with my usual elk meatloaf recipe.

Beer can chicken on the smoker today. Planned it out earlier this week. Pepper/salt/paprika/wood fired garlic rub. Local IPA for the beer selection. 3hr at 220 F. 2hr at 300 F. Apple wood for fuel. Then 30min rest.
Turned out tender, has great flavor, super moist...
I was feeling like a pro...then my oldest tastes it and says “I think it’s soggy but a little tasty” before laying on the ketchup 🤦‍♂️😆 exactly what my ego needed. Happy daylight savings/Pi day everybody.
ADD67C3C-15C6-417E-A86F-415C86E12554.jpeg
5D444511-AA37-4EED-9339-31A5F8A48BE7.jpeg

Beer can chicken on the smoker today. Planned it out earlier this week. Pepper/salt/paprika/wood fired garlic rub. Local IPA for the beer selection. 3hr at 220 F. 2hr at 300 F. Apple wood for fuel. Then 30min rest.
Turned out tender, has great flavor, super moist...
I was feeling like a pro...then my oldest tastes it and says “I think it’s soggy but a little tasty” before laying on the ketchup 🤦‍♂️😆 exactly what my ego needed. Happy daylight savings/Pi day everybody.
View attachment 177286
View attachment 177285
Do a chicken spatchkcock style. You won't go back. Today I did 3-2-1's. Yum. mtmuley

Leftover smoked pork loin made into fajitas.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
A little gassy round' here! :rolleyes: 💥

"Hey, you smoke meats right?" Are words I dread, they're usually followed by something along the lines of "I have a small favor to ask".

So last week, one of my wife's good friends asked for a favor, she felt like eating smoked salmon and asked if I'd make her some. So being the good husband that I am, I said I'd make it with the condition that she needed to find at least 5lb so it would be worth it.

My wife promptly asked me later "why the F would you agree to that?". I said, there's no way she'll buy 5lb of salmon fillets. Well, a few days later her friend dropped off 5lb of fresh salmon, I felt pretty bad knowing that probably cost a pretty penny. So that's what I did last Sunday. Made a maple brine first and soaked the fish over night. Fired up the smoker and filled 'er up, the smoker, obviously.

Another unwanted but satisfied customer!

20210313_153727.jpg
20210314_101219.jpg
20210314_174932.jpg

20210314_182246.jpg

I complain a lot but I actually enjoy smoking stuff and she was pretty happy with the result!

Change My Mind 14032021215237.jpg

"Hey, you smoke meats right?" Are words I dread, they're usually followed by something along the lines of "I have a small favor to ask".

So last week, one of my wife's good friends asked for a favor, she felt like eating smoked salmon and asked if I'd make her some. So being the good husband that I am, I said I'd make it with the condition that she needed to find at least 5lb so it would be worth it.

My wife promptly asked me later "why the F would you agree to that?". I said, there's no way she'll buy 5lb of salmon fillets. Well, a few days later her friend dropped off 5lb of fresh salmon, I felt pretty bad knowing that probably cost a pretty penny. So that's what I did last Sunday. Made a maple brine first and soaked the fish over night. Fired up the smoker and filled 'er up, the smoker, obviously.

Another unwanted but satisfied customer!

View attachment 177587
View attachment 177588
View attachment 177589

View attachment 177586

I complain a lot but I actually enjoy smoking stuff and she was pretty happy with the result!

View attachment 177590
That looks amazing! Care to share your brine recipe? Also, how long does it keep in the vacuum packs?

That looks amazing! Care to share your brine recipe? Also, how long does it keep in the vacuum packs?
1 gal water
1 cup salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 large onion
4-6 cloves of garlic
Frank's red hot
Pepper corns
Cayenne pepper

I personally freeze the individual bags and they don't last more than two days at home. I've had frozen smoked fish in the freezer for close to a year with no issues and tasted as good as the fresh stuff.

ooh i should do some salmon; sask, I take it you did not get any metal off tastes from brining in the aluminum pot?

Back