Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

What's on the smoker today?

This thread is making me really want to finally get a pellet grill, but those funds have been set aside for a spotting scope upgrade. Good looking stuff here...

Make sure you verify the temp of your smoker with an accurate thermometer.
Ditto this. The brisket I did recently apparently killed my Traeger temp controller and fan. It was reading 250 when my wireless thermometer was reading 210. I ended up having to move it into the oven for the last 3 hours during the crutch and come to find out my oven isn't any better! I had to set it at 270 to get it to maintain a temp of 225. LAME! Traeger is fixed but now I think I might be shopping for a new oven.

Let us know how it turns out. I smoked a bone-in pork butt once. It tasted great but it was not falling off the bone tender, I sliced the meat off. It was because the temp stalled at about 160° and it was getting so late I pulled it at about 190°.
Know that I know about this I will have to try it again.
7E32622A-371C-4740-9451-22EC70F85DFD.jpeg
It turned out awesome! Toasted buns and homemade sauce. Can’t beat staring at a grill for 8 hrs all day. Well worth it the wait.

Just pulled 6lbs whitetail venison summer sausage with cheddar and jalapeño off the trays. no casings as I find I get a nice Rhine from the bradly. Really like this high temp cheese as it adds some visual along with solid flavor. The jalapeño is seeded and de veined so no heat but great sweet notes of freshness as my posse have tender pallets(bunch of rookies). D6F3CD1E-1299-41DD-A65F-F7704A4589E2.jpeg

Ribs have been on the smoker for 5.5 hours so far. Got a few to go. The Distiller's edition Lagavulin 16 goes well with the wood smoke smell and helps to pass the time. Happy 4th everyone!

Ditto this. The brisket I did recently apparently killed my Traeger temp controller and fan. It was reading 250 when my wireless thermometer was reading 210. I ended up having to move it into the oven for the last 3 hours during the crutch and come to find out my oven isn't any better! I had to set it at 270 to get it to maintain a temp of 225. LAME! Traeger is fixed but now I think I might be shopping for a new oven.
Camp chef

P1010093.JPG
The final product. The family approved.

Recipe:
Preparation
  • Strip skin from back of ribs (don’t skip this step)
  • Pat them dry and apply Jer’s bbq rub generously to both sides
  • Let set 2-4 hours or more in fridge
Cooking
  • Set pellet grill to “smoke"
  • 0:00 - 1:00 hour: Smoke ribs right out of the fridge, bone side down
  • 1:00 Raise temp to 225 and spray with apple juice
  • 2:00 Spray with apple juice
  • 3:00
    • Cut two sheets of heavy duty foil 6” longer than the ribs
    • Make into a boat and lay on rack
    • Pour in 1 cup of apple juice
    • Transfer in Ribs and pinch top together, fold up sides
    • Raise temp to 350°
  • 4:00 Check temp, should be over 200 (or feel, rack should bend easily, meaty parts should give without being mushy)
    • Take up and let set about 30 mins
    • Coat with BBQ sauce and serve

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back