Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What's on the smoker today?

Going to make up some central coast rub ,ala NM. Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, & lots of NM chile powder. Pasilla Negro is a favorite of mine for this rub usually.

Since most of the good fat was trimmed off(not preferred) and its on a smoker I can't really do Santa Maria style where you cook off the fat turning often to coat for the sear. Going without a binder. Just rub on and sit for the day.

So after watching a couple vids on smoker methods, it's going on the smoker on very low & smoke for an hour or 2 , then crank it up and sear to finish. Med rare if possible.
Have to make some salsa fresca and tater salad.

Going to make up some central coast rub ,ala NM. Kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, & lots of NM chile powder. Pasilla Negro is a favorite of mine for this rub usually.

Since most of the good fat was trimmed off(not preferred) and its on a smoker I can't really do Santa Maria style where you cook off the fat turning often to coat for the sear. Going without a binder. Just rub on and sit for the day.

So after watching a couple vids on smoker methods, it's going on the smoker on very low & smoke for an hour or 2 , then crank it up and sear to finish. Med rare if possible.
Have to make some salsa fresca and tater salad.
Never heard of the Santa Maria method going to have to give that a try. I've found a lot of the tri tips at the super market type stores are usually heavily trimmed. I get mine at a local meat market and they're covered in fat. I usually trim mine up pretty good before applying the rub.20220403_145125.jpg
Don't have any before pics but you can see the pile of fat to the side I trimmed.

Never heard of the Santa Maria method going to have to give that a try. I've found a lot of the tri tips at the super market type stores are usually heavily trimmed. I get mine at a local meat market and they're covered in fat. I usually trim mine up pretty good before applying the rub.View attachment 221526
Don't have any before pics but you can see the pile of fat to the side I trimmed.
SM BBQ is a pit fueled with oak and an adjustable grill. Very large pits usually, at a park. You cook that fat off over the fire ,raising & lowering grill to slow or heat up. The rubs cook in the fat and gets nice black crust and the inside is nice & juicy.

SM BBQ is a pit fueled with oak and an adjustable grill. Very large pits usually, at a park. You cook that fat off over the fire ,raising & lowering grill to slow or heat up. The rubs cook in the fat and gets nice black crust and the inside is nice & juicy.
+1

I have it set at S, which is 180, lowest on the dial. It smokes good there.
After a couple hours I'll turn it up to 225 & get it cooking. Then final sear over the flame.
I do like this smoker and the ability to flame sear. The range on adjustments in heat is insane. 180-500.
Smoke tube going too. I like smoky.

didn't you get a pit boss?

increase the P value and you can get lower temps if you want.
The 850.
I can push the Prime and get the auger loading more pellets. Lowest setting is 180. It stays pretty constant smoking feed on that lowest setting ,S and again when you turn it past 400.
The smoke tube is cool.
1hr and 178-180 and probe says 125. Nice.

The 850.
I can push the Prime and get the auger loading more pellets. Lowest setting is 180. It stays pretty constant smoking feed on that lowest setting ,S and again when you turn it past 400.
The smoke tube is cool.
1hr and 178-180 and probe says 125. Nice.

oh yeah, actually now researching i don't think the 850 has that "p setting" that the older models have.

the p setting went from 1 to 8, standard "smoke setting" was 4. increasing it increased time between auger deliveries, thereby reducing temp but increasing time for smoke, and decreasing it decreased time between auger deliveries, increasing temp and and decreasing time, but increasing smoke.

i always thought it was kind of a weird way to it up, but it does allow for some extra control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back