Caribou Gear Tarp

What's in the brand name?

OntarioHunter

Ever wonder about the history of your gun's brand name. We can assume Ithaca guns were made in Ithaca, NY (well, originally anyway). Browning was established by its namesake inventor, John Moses Browning (or by his son Val?). My Springfield, though actually made by Remington at the end of WWII, was named for the US govt arsenal in Springfield, Massachusetts. As I recall that's where it was designed and first produced. The arsenal was originally located there (circa Civil War I think) to take advantage of available water power. Most of us know who Sam Colt was but who was Remington? And was Winchester company named for a person or a place? Ditto for Sako. And then there's the model names. Who, what, or where is a Citori?

Last edited:
Savage, with its former "Indian-head" logo, kind of makes me wonder...
Savage Arms founder was Arthur Savage. Originally built in Utica, NY. Founded in 1894. Surprised me too. I figured they were borrowing on Native Americans' reputation for toughness ... like all the professional sports teams did ... until someone recently got it in their heads that was somehow derogatory. Dumb.

Winchester was founded by Oliver Winchester. If you wanna hear something loopy, look up his wife and the Winchester House that she had built and constantly renovated because she was scared of ghosts.

Savage, with its former "Indian-head" logo, kind of makes me wonder...
I've owned a couple Savage centerfires many yrs ago. They were both plane jane no frill rifles. But were the most accurate rifles out of the box. One thing I never liked about Savage rifles. Were their thick clunky stocks.

Sears & Roebuck's line of guns were at one point branded J.C. Higgins. Turns out he was merely some employee of no special significance in the company's maintenance section. The advertising execs liked the sound of his name and that was enough. Marlin or Savage usually made the guns for Sears. Eventually Sears sporting stuff was rebranded "Ted Williams." Definitely not a nobody!

Stevens by Stevens 1864 ( marksman, Little Scout, Favorite, Crack Shot ) and in 1938 they made several thousand of their "combination" guns for the Army in World War II, all before Savage

Sharp-Sharp 1848
Fox-Fox 1896
Purdy-Purdy1814

and Colt-Colt 1864, saved Jimmy Stewart in his western movies

Last edited:
Stevens by Stevens 1864 ( marksman, Little Scout, Favorite, Crack Shot ) and in 1938 they made several thousand of their "combination" guns for the Army in World War II, all before Savage

Sharp-Sharp 1848
Fox-Fox 1896
Purdy-Purdy1814

and Colt-Colt 1864, saved John Wayne in all his movies --except the last one :(
Did he wear a Colt in Green Beret? For him to make that movie was just too much. Seeing that phony WWII draft dodger always patriotically wrapping himself in the US flag made me wanna puke. Really bugged my dad, a WWII disabled vet. Wayne always bragged that he stole his trademark holding-reins-in-front walk from Tom Mix. Mix was the real deal, a genuine cowboy and rodeo champ. John Wayne was a genuine fake.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back