Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What's all this fuel cell stuff, anyhow?

dgibson

The EE world is abuzz with excitement over Bush's proposed $1.2B fund to assist the development of vehicles fueled by hydrogen cells. An article in this week's EE Times states that all of the major auto manufacturers are on the move: GM promises affordable "production versions" by the end of decade; DaimlerChrysler is delivering early models to certain locations very soon, including 30 buses in Europe. The industry believes that this is a "doable" goal by 2010 or so, and pundits predict a reduction in demand of over 11 million barrels of crude per day by 2040. The technology also allows advances in basic design, leading to possibilities such as a chassis that can easily be kept for 20 years or more, with swappable bodies for varying conditions or tastes. The entire guts of the car could fit in a 11-inch deep "skateboard."
eek.gif
All of this also comes with the added benefit of greatly reduced emissions.

What say you?

MY OPINION: Admittedly, Bush had made some faltering steps in some environmental issues, but I think this one kicks ass. What suprises me more is the unilateral support of the automobile industry, who always seem very resistant to change.
confused.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-17-2003 09:03: Message edited by: dgibson ]</font>

The enthusiasm shown by the auto manufacturers has me stymied also. usually, they are reflective of the oil industries views. If we start driving vehicles that basically use water for fuel, then the oil companies will suffer substantial set backs. This should get fun before it collapses...Another interesting thing to think about.. How will the reduction in the need for oil effect the OPEC countries?? Let them eat their oil!

cool.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-17-2003 09:40: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

This was a popular trend in motor vehicle research before Bush, and he's just working the environmental vote. Just my opinion, but it would be the popular thing to do for a good portion of the vote.

Call it fishing for votes if you will, but it's $1.2B worth of commitment more than prior administrations gave.
wink.gif

...and partially because of the lack of recognition skills. He was President of the most powerfull country on earth and he couldn't recognize sex when he was getting his cigar smoked. Look at who he was married to... Does that say anything about his threat identification capability? He was generally lacking in everything but salesmanship....

cool.gif

I'M MORE THAN HAPPY ABOUT IT!!! I think the auto makers are seeing that oil won't be around forever and are now starting to work on the next big thing. Kudos to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back