What's a Yuppie Starter Castle???

JoseCuervo

The Montana boys were saying that it is better to have Welfare Ranchers instead of Yuppies building Starter Castles. And I wasn't sure what they were. In fact, I was kinda worried that my Double Wide out here at the Trailer Park would be classified a Starter Castle by a bunch of Montana Boys...
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

The closest we have, that I can give good examples are the homes over around Sun Valley, ID, the ones that appear in Sun Valley Magazine or in Architectural Digest. These are the ones that neighbor Demi Moore and company... And I as I think about them, they increase the assessed Tax value of the property, compared to the ag-land they used to be, resulting in more payment to the Schools. And they sure don't have as many kids in the School Systems as the local white trash pumps through.

Do they build their homes on 1 acre lots, and create a development that pushes out Elk, or do they put 1 home per 40 acres, and push out the Elk that way.

Just curious about the Yuppie Starter Castles, and worried that I may be one of them. I know I like to drink Micro Brews and throw the bottles out the window of the V-10 SuperDuty...

Elkgunner,
Great question
confused.gif
eek.gif
Yuppie starter castles have little to do with the Demi Moore types as they usually purchase larger places. It has everything to do with the Demi wantabees. They purchase 20 acre ranchettes and build 5,000 square foot home and a horse barn in order to live the ranch lifestyle. Generally they build them in a coulee, "away from it all", in what used to be prime winter habitat for elk and mule deer. Then they bitch that the deer and elk are eating their landscaping and the expensive horse hay and the fish cops must do something about it.
They do not bring additional revenue because their demands for services outstrip their property taxes paid.
Anyway your hatred for ranchers who graze public will most likely drive you into the loving arms of the yuppies because most of them also hate public lands grazing.
You will then, after the honeymoon is over, realize they also hate cattle ranchers in general and wish to not only end public lands grazing but want to turn your ranch into a national monument so they can enjoy your land without all that annoying cow crap.
Nemont

Nemont,

So these Castles are generally year-round residences? Not just Summer homes for the wife, and Winter vacation places? I guess I was thinking the Sun Valley/Jackson Hole types.

What is their demand for services? Is it more than just School systems? Over here, Ag land might be assessed at $500 per acre, and the next day, when it sells for subdivision land, it is $20,000 per acre. At that time, the revenue to the school district just went up 40x.

And I don't imagine them needing Ambulance services, as most drive around in the Escalante with the Bike rack on the back, and don't eat Red-meat, so they stay in good shape....
biggrin.gif

I know ol' Ten Beers said that Deer and Elk become "acclimated" to
Fat-Assed ATV's and their riders. Wouldn't the Elk get acclimated to houses, also? I know of one subdivision above Boise, that has a herd of a couple hundred Elk in at times, almost like pets.

What are yuppy starter castles? Well I see them every day on my drive from Bozeman to Livingston for work. The entire perimeter of Chestnut mountain (Gallatin National Forest) is littered with them, continuing, to the east along the entire length of Wineglass Mountain.

The elk like to hang in the subdivisions?
confused.gif

I suppose RockyDog has seen one or two of these dwellings in the Bitteroot Valley. I've noticed there's not much available on public land where the elk on the west side can winter. But I suppose they want to come wander around in those knarly high-valued subdivisions exploding the wealth of the local school districts.

So, do you hate the person or hate the house?
rolleyes.gif

Beardown,
Didn't you just move to Montana for Construction???
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>‘03 was record year for Billings construction
By TOM HOWARD
Billings Gazette

BILLINGS – The value of new construction in the Billings area exceeded $200 million for the first time last year, and increased 26 percent over 2002.

New construction in the urban area was valued at $208 million, compared with $165 million during 2002, which was also a record-setting year.

The city Building Division issued 653 permits for new single-family homes in 2003, up from 547 in 2002. That barely missed the record of 657 single-family homes permitted during 1983. Most new houses are being built in the West End, the Heights and at Briarwood, said Ramona Mattix, director of the City-County Planning Department.

More permits issued
The city issued 146 commercial building permits worth $35 million, compared with 110 permits worth $27 million in 2002, Mattix said Tuesday.

Hotel and motel development was a bright spot in commercial development, with five motels permitted during 2003 compared with one the year before, Mattix said.

The current building boom is also generating more activity at the Yellowstone County Clerk and Recorder’s Office, where the number of recorded documents has shown a steady increase in recent years. Much of the increase in filing involves real estate transactions, said Clerk and Recorder Tony Nave.

Whenever somebody buys or sells a piece of property or refinances a home mortgage, it generates legal documents that must be filed with the clerk and recorder’s office. Recorded documents pertaining to real estate transactions include deeds of trust, mortgages, trust indentures and reconveyances.

In 2001, the county clerk’s office filed 44,737 legal documents, which generated $887,778 in filing fees, Nave said. In 2002, the 49,478 documents filed generated $1.07 million. Last year, 61,954 documents were filed, bringing in $1.36 million in filing fees.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-08-2004 06:41: Message edited by: ElkGunner ]</font>

WE don't have YUPPIE starter castles. We have nickle millionaires. They are worse. They want to restrict access to everything around their tract home, PUBLIC GROUND and Access to it. I have one guy that chases me down because I drive past his home on a public road (altho it is dirt) and screams at me for driving past his home at 5am just to go hunting. Couldn't I find another way to get back there to slaughter innocent animals. Well yea, I could but it wouldn be nearly as much fun as PISSING him off.

So..... it is the person that lives in the home, and not the house that is the issue?????
confused.gif

Y'all got a simple boy from Idaho confused....Like I said, out here in the Trailer Park, we don't have those issues...
biggrin.gif

Nemont and Greenhorn said it best. Its not the person, its what the houses are doing to winter range. Our forests and wilderness areas are mostly high elevation ground, without large tract ranches these areas are suffering.

Yuppy starter castles are 5,000 to 15,000 sq. foot homes on 5 to 20 eacres. Go the link below and click on "mountain homes" and on "cabins". These are 15,000 sq.ft homes on 20 acres lots starting at arond a half million.

http://www.stockfarm.com/prop.html

It may be the death of a great elk herd, but at least the screwed up kids can drive mercedes to school, right?.

Give me a "welfare rancher" over these prickish rich starter castle folks anyday.

Don't take this the wrong way, but weren't most the these properties sold for development by ranchers? Who can blame a guy for making a buck, right?

However, I too would rather see a working ranch than a subdivision. There are many chitty/un-productive areas where we should be building subdivisions. That and there are just too many people.
mad.gif

Beardown,
Didn't you just move to Montana for Construction???

No not for construction. I moved here because AZ is full of illegals and people from Chicago!
tongue.gif
No actually I have always wanted to live up here, and the opprotunity came around so I could'nt pass it up! Constructon is just something I do, when I'm not hunttin or fishin!
biggrin.gif
In AZ we had the same crap going on, especialy in the area I grew up. All the river access is gone and lots of area we Quail hunted and Javalina hunted has houses all over it
confused.gif
From what I can see it looks like the same thing is going on here. To many damn people from California and Arizona movin up here! Luckily for MT I'm one of the few cool people from AZ
rolleyes.gif
shhh.gif

Of course if there weren't so many people moving to Montana and building new houses, the construction jobs wouldn't be there, and beardown, you wouldn't be able to afford to live there, unless you could find some other type of work that isn't dependent on growth. That's what I have always thought was a shame, this country's economy is entirely based on growth, without growth there are not enough jobs to go around, but growth is bad for the environment, bad for hunting, bad for fishing, bad for quality living in general. And eventually, when the resources run out (water, energy, food, etc.) it will be a disaster for the economy. But until then we keep growing and growing and growing, and there's no end in sight, especially when we have all these people coming in from other countries. I'd like to retire in Montana in 20 years, but I have a feeling it's not going to be much different than how California (or Arizona) is today.
frown.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-08-2004 10:38: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]</font>

Personally, I plan to be one of those migrating to a place where I can hunt and shoot near my home. If possible, I will find a place bordering National Forest - in fact, I will try to find a place bordered on 3 sides or surrounded by National Forest! I will buy as large a chunk as I can afford and it will either already have a modest home on it or I will build one.

Given that it will be another 10-15 years probably before I can afford to do that, I hope there will still be places available.

Cali. Hunter, yep that's my plan too, and I'm sure 90% of everybody on the west coast who like hunting and/or fishing have the same thing in mind also. Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho....get ready for us, we are a coming!
biggrin.gif

LMAO...Nemont you da man!!!! I work construction and have a personal dislike for yuppies and their wannabe houses. They wish they had cash and think by building a track house on a few acres , they are king chit!......One time me and AZ402 was drivin down yuppie lane in Sedona, we just got done huntin pigs in the foothills and had no luck. Well all of a sudden we come around the corner and theres a pig sittin in the road. Well we jump out,AZ misses and I drill it in the guts! My arrow goes through but the pig starts bittin at its side and spinin in circles rigdt in the road. I knocked another one and along comes a Yuppie in their SUV! They see this pig and give me this horrifing look. You could tell this was the worst thing they have ever seen. I think cuz we were in camo and had bows they figured they better keep goin! So I finished it off and rejoiced in the fact I could share such a joyous moment with such scum!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Let me get this straight: I can get a 15,000 sq ft home, 20 acres nestled in prime hunting territory? Where do I sign on the dotted line?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Why, Cali, to hear these guys tell it, you're just in the right spot already! Everybody's apparently moving out of California and into Montana, so in another 15 years or so CA will be a wasteland! Think of the hunting opportunities!
wink.gif

Especially with Bush's new "work immigration" policy, there will be lots of Mexicans and Asians to fill up California!

I went to that website Rocky Dog linked to, and the restaurant serves "elk." Must be pen-raised elk!

For a Half million I could get 15000 sq ft and 20 acres???? Heck around the corner from me you get 3000 sq ft on 1/5 of an acre oh yeah it's a track home too. I used to hunt and fish right where my house is now, but we geta lot of transplant from San Francisco wanting to live in the "country". I guess MT is cheap compared to my area....maybe I should look to move and soon

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back