Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Whatever you do, get out of your truck as little as possible. That end justifies all means.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!

The tricky part about slob hunters is when your relatives are slobs. Fun to spend time with them but not when they're doing stupid sh*t.
Yah I’m in that boat. I decided I can be friends (good friends, he’s a great dude) but I just can’t hunt with him anymore.

It has always been this way, at least the last 40 years that I have been hunting. Informal policing and going into a tizzy every time you notice an infraction is probably a waste of time and energy.

However, this website certainly has the knowledge, tips and ideas on how to get you to where and how you want to hunt.

It has always been this way, at least the last 40 years that I have been hunting. Informal policing and going into a tizzy every time you notice an infraction is probably a waste of time and energy.

However, this website certainly has the knowledge, tips and ideas on how to get you to where and how you want to hunt.
Game wardens like video. We told the game warden about the given infraction when we got checked and he could have cared less. When we told him we had video of the driving through fields and shooting off the vehicle he looked like a kid in a candy store. They ended up getting ticketed.

I’m to the point I’m starting to despise people in general. For every decent guy in run into in the field there are 10 others that are half brained dipshits. My three favorite hunts over the last 12 months are a dall sheep hunt (0 other people), AZ Coues deer (2 guys spotted a couple miles away), and wolf hunting (an occasional road hunter but no one else hiking). I could retire from MT deer hunting and probably never think twice.

When you have 1 officer for 1 million acres (and yes, that’s a true statistic for one real-life area), the simple fact is most people aren’t going to be caught.

This is the crux.

In over 30 years of hunting the District in which I grew up, I have never once run into a game warden. I’ve never seen one on the field.

Never mind poor hunter behavior, I think the country is full of coyotes, and I don’t mean the four-legged kind.

I would go so far as to say that we need many more times (5X?) the enforcement on the landscape, whether that is fish and wildlife game wardens, or public land LEOs.

This is the crux.

In over 30 years of hunting the District in which I grew up, I have never once run into a game warden. I’ve never seen one on the field.

Never mind poor hunter behavior, I think the country is full of coyotes, and I don’t mean the four-legged kind.

I would go so far as to say that we need many more times (5X?) the enforcement on the landscape, whether that is fish and wildlife game wardens, or public land LEOs.
I've been hunting the Oregon coat range for 30+ years and have only seen 3 forest service and 2 odfw, and 4 of the 5 we're this year, within 5 square miles. One forest service was ages ago, when they used to drive the awful seafoam green trucks.
Anyhow, poaching is absolutely on the rise, and here at the coast, it's escalated dramatically and disgustingly. I can't count the amount of poach piles I've seen in just the past 5 years. Backstrap and antlers missing, the rest dumped in a ditch... 2 in the past week alone, one buck, one elk. We desperately need more enforcement! As it is, in my area, we rely heavily on state police as our game wardens/conservation officers, because we have so few. And at that, our state police are stretched thin as it is.

It’s 8:15. I’m back from my morning elk hunt. I gotta admit I kinda lost my cool this morning…my poor wife and son had to listen to my overly emotional rant decrying the slob-Hunter culture. Ha!

Three years back we moved here to what some would say is the hunting capital of CO. Today was the culmination of my three-year lesson on how lazy, entitled, and poorly thought-out the average hunter is in this part of the world.

People here always complain about out-of-staters ruining hunting (particularly those native to CA…of which I am one). Man, it ain’t just Californians.

Our hunting culture is broken. I’m trying to raise my son to be an ethical, hard-working, dedicated hunter. It seems that is a rare combination of qualities in the hunting community.

It really bums me out. It’s sad. The thing that continues to blow my mind is that the behavior is ruining mornings like this not only for people like me, but that behavior also almost guarantees they aren’t going to see anything during their own “hunt”.
No trying to get you fired up again, but you’ve got me curious as to what happened.

It's getting worse. On November 9&10 two big rut-stupid bucks were killed in central Oregon. One was hanging out by a state highway and was photographed a lot. It was found dead with it's head cut off. The other was found off a FS road still warm when found.
When my wife and I returned from our antelope hunt a couple months ago there was a dead cow elk in our pasture not 100yds from our house. The skeleton was completely intact and it was completely scavenged. Probably another bad bow shot and it died in the pasture. But then when I went out to drag it off the next morning I noticed the ivories were missing. Pretty bold.

This is the crux.

I've been hunting the Oregon coat range for 30+ years and have only seen 3 forest service and 2 odfw, and 4 of the 5 we're this year, within 5 square miles. One forest service was ages ago, when they used to drive the awful seafoam green trucks.
Anyhow, poaching is absolutely on the rise, and here at the coast, it's escalated dramatically and disgustingly. I can't count the amount of poach piles I've seen in just the past 5 years. Backstrap and antlers missing, the rest dumped in a ditch... 2 in the past week alone, one buck, one elk. We desperately need more enforcement! As it is, in my area, we rely heavily on state police as our game wardens/conservation officers, because we have so few. And at that, our state police are stretched thin as it is.
As a follow up, here's a link to an article about just a couple incidents local to me this season, that were reported. Although many go unreported, too. ODFW is offering some decent rewards for tips, given the increase in cases.

Damn! Those were some absolutely beautiful animals, it's such a shame someone had to be so unsportsmanlike and take them unlawfully. Sounds awfully familiar, too. A guy from my home town years ago was charged with multiple counts of poaching, spotlighting, and all related charges due to habitually poaching the largest trophies he could find. For bragging rights. To one up the rest of the local hunting community. There was an article in the Oregonian years ago, when it happened.. sometime around '05-'07 or so, I think. Trying to find the link but it's likely lost in history. Just disgusting how people think this is acceptable in any capacity!

Edit: fount one of the articles... Doesn't cover the full extent of the charges, but this was the beginning of the case I mentioned.

Last edited:
I was hunting block management once, and a guy and his son were driving along a fenceline. Warden drove up, and heard the guy say "I'm just trying to teach him to hunt,", to which the Warden replied, "You're teaching him to roadhunt. Go back to the parking area and hike in. Teach him to do it right,". Hope he got a big ticket.

I think those of you who said this has always been going on are correct. Those of you who said it’s getting worse are also correct. Some places probably worse than others. Maybe it’s because of cities getting bigger causing more city folk to hunt who haven’t grown up in a hunting culture? Is it the new generation? I don’t know. Opening day at my zone D13 used to be like a holiday for us. Now it’s like a zoo and we avoid it like the plague.

Road hunting is bad by me as well. The sad thing is, more often than not, it is locals. Quads have become mandatory hunting equipment for many. Don't even get me started on overharvesting fish-especially during ice season.

Folks just want to make hunting easier and easier under the guise that it will attract new hunters-at least that is a common theme in Wisconsin. Hunting shouldn't be easy, and if those are the folks we are trying to attract they should stick to something else.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back